follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
fizzymike

Drives: 2014 Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wire Valenti Reverse Light to Stock Tail Lights

Whats up guys.

Im trying to wire my valenti diffuser reverse light to my existing taillights so I could see the brake light. Right now it just plugs into the existing harness showing the reverse light.

Coming of the valenti light is a plug, red wire and a blue wire. My taillights aren't coming in the mail for 2 weeks so I cant tell what colors to splice the red and blue wire into. In the video they wire it to valenti tail lights only. I just want to enable the brake light as well while having the stock tail lights.

Here are 2 images showing what I see in the video vs what I have in real life. Thanks
Attached Images

fizzymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
fizzymike

bump
Old 09-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzymike View Post
bump
Well, grasshopper () one wire goes to the positive lead (where the electrons are coming from) the other wire goes to ground.

Sometimes, with lights, it doesn't make any difference.

So, use an amp meter to find the positive lead that is hot when you want the lights to go ON, and hook one wire to it. Hook the other one to something that is grounded.

Oh, just keep trying stuff ...... soon you will see the light .....

Bubba says you can find a hot wire with a test light or scratch the suspect hot wire on something that is grounded ...... and look for the sparks. Bubba also replaces a lot of fuses with his technique ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
wireman957

Drives: 2015 FR-S MT Steel
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In a DC system, black is generally a negative (grounded) conductor. That being said automotive wiring harnesses can be whatever the manufacturer decided to do. With a red and blue wire, I would venture to guess the red is + and the blue is -. Many European and Asian power cords use blue as a neutral, or grounded, conductor. Like Hum said, though, to be safe get a cheap multimeter and find the + wire first before you try splicing. LEDs don't generally take kindly to being connected backward. They are diodes (Light Emitting Diode) and definitely have a + and - connection. You can easily damage a LED by reversing polarity of the power connection.
fizzymike (09-10-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman957 View Post
In a DC system, black is generally a negative (grounded) conductor. That being said automotive wiring harnesses can be whatever the manufacturer decided to do. With a red and blue wire, I would venture to guess the red is + and the blue is -. Many European and Asian power cords use blue as a neutral, or grounded, conductor. Like Hum said, though, to be safe get a cheap multimeter and find the + wire first before you try splicing. LEDs don't generally take kindly to being connected backward. They are diodes (Light Emitting Diode) and definitely have a + and - connection. You can easily damage a LED by reversing polarity of the power connection.
Well, I'll be darned, I didn't know that....

I don't have any LED lights on my car ....... none that work that is .....

Yep, I'm adding ol @wireman957 to my staff of consultants ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
fizzymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman957 View Post
Thank you, I didnt wanna just wire it to light up but wire it to the existing tail lights so it only comes on when running lights are on

Tags
reverse light, valenti