follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
NitroXIII

Drives: Steel FRS - 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rust proofing by Toyota dealership...

So, I may have fallen for a terrible upsell. No need to hate. Everyone makes stupid decisions. But I got the lifetime rustproofing done. When I got my car back there were a bunch of locations covered in yellow goop. Is this supposed to be permanent? I find it came off rather easy so I assume not. Were they supposed to clean this or is this really what I was upsold?
NitroXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroXIII View Post
So, I may have fallen for a terrible upsell. No need to hate. Everyone makes stupid decisions. But I got the lifetime rustproofing done. When I got my car back there were a bunch of locations covered in yellow goop. Is this supposed to be permanent? I find it came off rather easy so I assume not. Were they supposed to clean this or is this really what I was upsold?
i prefer the dealer rustproofing over other shops.
a) dealers rust proofing is nice and tidy
b) they use diff stuff from all other places i've seen
so good job, now dont miss your yearly appointments

also, it cleans up easily. the dealer just didnt clean it well.

enjoy.
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nos145 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #3
NitroXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos145 View Post
i prefer the dealer rustproofing over other shops.
a) dealers rust proofing is nice and tidy
b) they use diff stuff from all other places i've seen
so good job, now dont miss your yearly appointments

also, it cleans up easily. the dealer just didnt clean it well.

enjoy.
Okay. I really hope that's the case. This goop is hideous and its in some somewhat hard to reach locations that are still visible. I really hope they were just rushing to get me the car before 5:30 after performing that and installing the lowering springs and just "forgot"
Old 11-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
mikool

Drives: 14' Firestorm FR-S
I got mine done for free at the dealer also, it's been a year and I still have the goop you are talking about. Guessing I should have just wiped it off? I ended up moving across the country before I could go back in for the maintenance mark.
mikool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
NitroXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikool View Post
I got mine done for free at the dealer also, it's been a year and I still have the goop you are talking about. Guessing I should have just wiped it off? I ended up moving across the country before I could go back in for the maintenance mark.
Idk, I'm starting to think it's supposed to be permanent? I think it's a wax based rust-proofing and it's supposed to always be there. Honestly, if I had known this I wouldn't have gotten it probably and would have gone with the Krown even if it required drilling...Sigh...
Old 11-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Idk, I'm starting to think it's supposed to be permanent? I think it's a wax based rust-proofing and it's supposed to always be there. Honestly, if I had known this I wouldn't have gotten it probably and would have gone with the Krown even if it required drilling...Sigh...
Nah don't second guess yourself. There is really no rustproofing that is truly permanent in Canadian weather and the stuff the dealers use it up at the top of the quality levels. Just clean it up where it shows. Be sure to let the dealer know (calmly and politely) that you were not happy though.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:43 PM   #7
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Quote:
krown is the "other" stuff i meant.

I have rustproofing done once a year and my car has some whitish yellowish stuff on it all the time after they are done.
just clean it off the exterior (comes out easy) and you are good to go

Krown just drips everywhere and its greasy as F***. 0/10 would not recommend. My ex's parents had it done on their corolla to save money instead of getting it done at dealer... holy shit there was grease EVERYWHERE for the rest of the year. I didnt want to get into that car cuz it would get on your pants...
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nos145 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 12:26 AM   #8
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Usually they spray inside the chasis. So yes it comes off easy. They recommend also to wash the car after 48 hours. Surface
Old 11-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #9
NitroXIII

No, okay. So. I went back in, pretending to be someone who was interested in getting this done, to see if I could get a truthful unbiased answer as to what the rustproofing should look like when finished. What I got was normal, its a wax based rustproofing, and it leaves a yellow coating of shit all over that is permanent unlike the krown stuff. I'm getting them to remove it.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #10
mikool

Drives: 14' Firestorm FR-S
Quote:
No, okay. So. I went back in, pretending to be someone who was interested in getting this done, to see if I could get a truthful unbiased answer as to what the rustproofing should look like when finished. What I got was normal, its a wax based rustproofing, and it leaves a yellow coating of shit all over that is permanent unlike the krown stuff. I'm getting them to remove it.
I might have to get this done also, for I don't know exactly what other hard to reach places I can't see. Reason being is that there is so much gunk/dust/gravel/engine stuff? that has attached itself in the goop that my engine bay looks like it has been in a barn since the 80's. I'll talk to the dealer about it when I go in on my 30k maintenance (at 29.X k).
mikool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:03 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
You know krown leaves crap everywhere as well right? The whole idea of rustproofing is to cover the areas that rust and stay there.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #12
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Dude, I wish we got rust proofing as an option here, at least in PA where I live,
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #13
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Can you post a picture of the goop?
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #14
KL

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikool View Post
I might have to get this done also, for I don't know exactly what other hard to reach places I can't see. Reason being is that there is so much gunk/dust/gravel/engine stuff? that has attached itself in the goop that my engine bay looks like it has been in a barn since the 80's. I'll talk to the dealer about it when I go in on my 30k maintenance (at 29.X k).
That's kind of the point of rustproofing. It's not supposed to be pretty, it's supposed to protect the metal.
The dirt/dust that attaches to the oil/wax spray is a) inevitable given what and where the stuff is and b) actually beneficial to the function of the rust proofing.

Mist some water onto this gunk layer and watch how it just beads up and/or drips off.
KL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KL For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (11-13-2015), Tcoat (11-13-2015)