follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
FRS-Learner

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Turn signal stalk making weird high pitched noise.

Hey guys, I tried searching for this problem but came up blank. Car is 2014 Fr-s with 17k miles. No mods that would affect the turn signal stalk.

Recently whenever I turn the turn signal stalk, either to turn right or to turn left, it emanates this weird high pitched sound. It sounds exactly like a defibrillator that's charging up. Like the ones in movies where they try to "jump start" people whose heart stopped working with electricity??? Whenever I turn the stalk this weird noise comes from it and sounds EXACTLY like a defibrillator. I only clean the stalk from time to time with a microfiber cloth. But this started happening randomly and not after I had cleaned it. I have no idea what't going on and I do not think this sound is good in the long run. Plus it would be hard to reproduce the sound at the dealer because this sound is does not always happen, which makes me wonder a lot about what it could be.

All replies would be helpful, thanks.
FRS-Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
SoCal80six

Drives: Asphalt frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS-Learner View Post
Hey guys, I tried searching for this problem but came up blank. Car is 2014 Fr-s with 17k miles. No mods that would affect the turn signal stalk.

Recently whenever I turn the turn signal stalk, either to turn right or to turn left, it emanates this weird high pitched sound. It sounds exactly like a defibrillator that's charging up. Like the ones in movies where they try to "jump start" people whose heart stopped working with electricity??? Whenever I turn the stalk this weird noise comes from it and sounds EXACTLY like a defibrillator. I only clean the stalk from time to time with a microfiber cloth. But this started happening randomly and not after I had cleaned it. I have no idea what't going on and I do not think this sound is good in the long run. Plus it would be hard to reproduce the sound at the dealer because this sound is does not always happen, which makes me wonder a lot about what it could be.

All replies would be helpful, thanks.
Is it blinking really fast?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
SoCal80six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
FRS-Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal80six View Post
Is it blinking really fast?

No, no of the lights blink fast and the dash arrow does not blink fast. The only occurrence is the really weird sound. Sounds like something electrical from the turn signal stalk.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
SoCal80six

Drives: Asphalt frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
No, no of the lights blink fast and the dash arrow does not blink fast. The only occurrence is the really weird sound. Sounds like something electrical from the turn signal stalk.
Weird might be an electrical issue. Had my front left parking light go out and my rear left blinker started blinking super fast ahah.

SoCal80six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoCal80six For This Useful Post:
FRS-Learner (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The whining you hear on TV is usually the sound of a capacitor charging up to store current to be discharged from the defibrillator. In our cars the turn signals use an electromechanical relay which is also where the "click noise" comes from as the turn signals go on and off. Its under the steering wheel and above the foot well and you can literally grab at it and pull it out, in fact for people that do an LED swap this is a necessary evil so the LEDs turn signals blink at the correct rate. I am sort sure where the charging noise is coming from or if it's just some sort of coil whine, but I'm pretty positive it is from both the capacitors resonating at some weird frequency:

This is a good image of what's inside a flasher relay, not ours mind you, ours are sort of beige in color on the outside and has 8 pins not 2 prongs:

The arrow points to the capacitor

OR It could be from within the turn signal stalk

To fix this if the whining is a serious annoyance and if it's from the relay you're just gonna need to buy a new stock LED relay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Scion-F...NSjoX6&vxp=mtr

Honestly I'd order it just in case when the relay might fail, because none of our cars do the charge up whine it might mean yours will fail prematurely.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 11-07-2015 at 08:55 PM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
FRS-Learner (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #6
FRS-Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
The whining you hear on TV is usually the sound of a capacitor charging up to store current to be discharged from the defibrillator. In our cars the turn signals use an electromechanical relay which is also where the "click noise" comes from as the turn signals go on and off. Its under the steering wheel and above the foot well and you can literally grab at it and pull it out, in fact for people that do an LED swap this is a necessary evil so the LEDs turn signals blink at the correct rate. I am sort sure where the charging noise is coming from or if it's just some sort of coil whine, but I'm pretty positive it is from both the capacitors resonating at some weird frequency:

This is a good image of what's inside a flasher relay, not ours mind you, ours are sort of beige in color on the outside:

The arrow points to the capacitor

OR It could be from within the turn signal stalk

To fix this if the whining is a serious annoyance and if it's from the relay you're just gonna need to buy a new stock LED relay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Scion-F...NSjoX6&vxp=mtr

Honestly I'd order it just in case when the relay might fail, because none of our cars do the charge up whine it might mean yours will fail prematurely.
Thanks, I just have one question. Can I pull this relay out and test it by any chance?
Old 11-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #7
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks, I just have one question. Can I pull this relay out and test it by any chance?

It's super easy,anyone like me or others that do LED swaps have had to do it, it's right under the steering wheel:

Skip to 0:50

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAEz3YC8SCA"]FR-S / BRZ Fix Turn LED Hyperblink with Flasher - YouTube[/ame]
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote