follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #85
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
Great graphic. Many thanks for that.
I found that image while i was thinking about it... if you look close it should not protrude past the top of the deck and if you look at the images

here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=34
and here
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=35

you can see the recess in the head and the piston...

Ohh well,
If it happened it must be possible i just hope they don't miss anything while doing the rebuild. I would be worried about the oiling system being contaminated etc.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #86
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
@Blaine&Andrew:

I am not an expert on this. However, my understanding is that a Congressman in Massachusetts and the ACLU are upset about EDRs, and they want to make sure there is legislation to protect the consumer because, as pointed out above, you own the data. Also, because of First Amendment rights.

My understanding is also that the EDR is like a "black box" recorder on an aircraft. It is logging data of a kind above and beyond error codes, including what's going on in the cabin (e.g., whether or not there is a passenger sitting on the passenger seat).

Could they tell there was a snowplow on the road at the time of the incident? I don't know. Can some cars tell where the curb is and park themselves? Yes.
It only knows what the car knows. Does your car know what types of vehicles you're following and what the weather is?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #87
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
If I may add one more tidbit to this side-conversation...

A few years back I was taking my BMW in to be serviced and I made a comment about how much technology had advanced when the "technician" took my key, stuck it in a reader box and was able to get all kinds of data off of it including ECU logs!

He told me about a warrantee claim that was made a few months earlier over a brand new 7-series that a dad bought for his son. It was returned a few months earlier with a blown transmission. The "technician" said when he inserted the key from the car, he was able to tell that the car was moving at 70mph at full throttle when the car was shifted into reverse. He was quite proud of himself for being able to deny the warrantee claim due to abuse.

Anyway, just thought that I would share.

Scott
That whole myth about jamming a car into reverse was busted by the Mythbusters long ago:

Turns out, you can put a moving car's automatic shifter into reverse, but the transmission will actually go into neutral.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/my...to-reverse.htm

Dude was flat out lying to ya.

As to the piston hitting the injector. If they car actually spun the bearing that means one half of the bearing came out of the large end hole of the rod. That's would allow the additional piston travel.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #88
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post

As to the piston hitting the injector. If they car actually spun the bearing that means one half of the bearing came out of the large end hole of the rod. That's would allow the additional piston travel.

For sure, but my skepticism is based on thinking they would not design it so the tip of the injector protrudes past the roof of the chamber. Anyway, i guess we will eventually find out for sure.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #89
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
That whole myth about jamming a car into reverse was busted by the Mythbusters long ago:

Turns out, you can put a moving car's automatic shifter into reverse, but the transmission will actually go into neutral.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/my...to-reverse.htm

Dude was flat out lying to ya.

This is taken directly from the article that you sent the link to;

"Turns out, you can put a moving car's automatic shifter into reverse, but the transmission will actually go into neutral. Most modern vehicles have safeguards to prevent engine damage, which is what would happen if you flipped directly from "D" to "R."

Based on this statement, it is not enough "evidence" to conclude that the "technician" was lying since the exact word that the Mythbusters used was "most modern vehicles". Also, they acknowledged that damage would occur if the transmission were to go directly from D to R. The BMW in the story had significant transmission damage from what I was told. Also, he said that the car's ECU recorded that the vehicle was at WOT when the shifter was moved from D to R at over 70mph which would also indicate abuse.

It is also true that these idiots who pass themselves off as "technicians", in their khaki pants and spotless white polo shirts don't know the first thing about cars and its common knowledge that these "technicians" routinely lie through their teeth to not pay a claim. That was not the issue that I brought up. The issue at hand is the data logging features of new cars. Whether or not the "technician" was telling the truth about that particular case is irrelevant and hair-splitting for the purpose of forum drama.

My point that I was making concerning the data logging features of modern cars is still applicable and surprising considering that BMW was able to read that data from the key alone.

Scott

Last edited by naikaidriver; 03-26-2013 at 05:25 PM.
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #90
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I was just pointing out that in today's electronic controlled transimissions it is not possible for the transmission to go into reverse while the car is moving forward.

You perk up little camper, didn't mean to pee in your cheerios.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FirestormFRS For This Useful Post:
Koa (02-24-2015)
Old 09-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #91
*KID*
86-er

Drives: BRZ tS
Never thought I'd post something like this but mine started knocking the same. bummer. I have 35k miles and I won't lie I do spirit drive but I have never had any issue like this on any of my cars till now. I'm bummed.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #92
vien

Drives: subaru brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mine is doing the same now
vien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:24 PM   #93
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vien View Post
Mine is doing the same now
Details? Mileage, model year, etc?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:36 PM   #94
vien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Details? Mileage, model year, etc?
its a 12 brz first gen. car has 58,600 miles car started knocking really bad the other yesterday still runs but knocks bad again. lucky for me its still under power train warranty and mastro Subaru in fl is taking care of it. they said there has been 3 cases so far but the first one where you hear it while revving or driving but not much at idle.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #95
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vien View Post
its a 12 brz first gen. car has 58,600 miles car started knocking really bad the other yesterday still runs but knocks bad again. lucky for me its still under power train warranty and mastro Subaru in fl is taking care of it. they said there has been 3 cases so far but the first one where you hear it while revving or driving but not much at idle.
I suspected it was a first year motor...despite what others in denial might say...those motors have issues. I'm glad to hear the dealer is taking care of you.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #96
vien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
I suspected it was a first year motor...despite what others in denial might say...those motors have issues. I'm glad to hear the dealer is taking care of you.
yeah im glad they are covering it plus helps that my buddy is the service writer there.