follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-26-2020, 12:17 PM   #29
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fun article! It's yet more evidence of just how not right in the head I am. I've had 13 of the cars on that list!

There are so many other cars that could be added. I second the addition of the Pacer (you gotta give AMC credit for trying something different, it could have been so much better with the Wankel engine originally planned for the car) and Gremlin (again, credit for making something different on a limited budget).

I'd add a few more to the list -

1991-1993 Nissan NX2000 and Sentra SE-R - if you've never driven one of these pocket rockets you're missing out. I had a 1992 NX2000 back in the day. It was quirky, fast, a whole lot of fun, and inexpensive. It was even available with T-Tops! At the time it was a budget 300ZX. It's one of the (many) cars I regret selling.

Mazda RX8 - it doesn't have the same love as the RX7, but another car you have to drive to appreciate. Also another one I deeply regret selling.

1992-1996 Mazda MX3 - when was the last time you saw a 1.8 liter V-6 engine in a cheap sporty car? The MX3 was a gift to the entry-level enthusiast community, from a time when Mazda was willing to take risks and offer unique products for small niche markets.

1988-1997 Ford Probe/Mazda MX6 (same chassis, different clothes) - from the heyday of the Ford/Mazda collaboration. The Probe/MX6 wasn't a supercar, but it was notable for being the closest thing to a Honda that a company other than Honda produced. It did everything reasonably well. It was good looking, comfortable, practical, yet available with a V6 engine and manual transmission for driving fun.

2003 Acura CL Type S - the 2001-2003 CL Coupe in general belongs on the list. At the time it was under-appreciated for having overly tame styling (to some). But it was elegant, classy, comfortable, and reliable. In 2003 Acura gave a major gift to the enthusiast community and made a small number of CL Type S Coupes with a 6 speed manual transmission. I was lucky enough to have bought one new, and stupid enough to have sold it.

2002-2007 Infiniti G35 Coupe/2008-2015 G37 Coupe - one of Infiniti's high water marks. It was their attempt to out-BMW BMW, and I think it worked. I owned 3 G Coupes over the years. They were amazing cars. BMW 3-series levels of performance and near-luxury, with a manual transmission but FAR better reliability and lower maintenance costs. The car did everything well. Another one of my many, many automotive mistakes (along with other life mistakes) was selling my last G Coupe, a 2012. I had a hankering for an old-fashioned 'Murican V-8, and was smitten by the new 2015 Mustang GT. Mistake. I foolishly thought Infiniti would always make the G coupe with a stick, and I could always go back. Another mistake. The current Q60 isn't even a shadow of it's former glory (and isn't available with a stick).

2009-2019 Nissan 370Z - it's the car so many people rag on for being 'out of date'. In what way? Naturally aspirated old-school V6 engine, manual transmission, competitive chassis design and weight, analog gauges. What's not to like? The 'infotainment' system? The sound of the engine should be all the 'infotainment' anyone could want, and an iPhone give you a more modern 'user interface'. An old saying is people don't appreciate what they have until it's gone, and I think this car will be one of those.

And, of course, the BRZ/86. It's underappreciated now, and I think in the future it will be looked back on as one of the few, last, and at the time only (other than the Miata) small, lightweight, fun to drive, naturally-aspirated 'old school' sports cars.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Atmo (11-28-2020)