follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 10-29-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
Clark20

Drives: 2019 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is this frame damage?

I got side smacked taking a ride turn. Does this damage look like it possibly may have deformed or bent the frame? The door closes but there is a slight indentation in the door jam but the door closes just fine with a small gap. And will the side be repaireable without any weakness to original body?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Clark20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:12 PM   #2
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
I think you might have gotten away safe and sound. Check out this pic of the unibody, is there any visible damage to the B pillar or surrounding metal?

You can also do a coarse straightness check by comparing the distance between two points diagonal from each other with the same points mirrored (I.e. front left to rear right, front right to rear left). If the measurements are the same the frame is probably straight or barely tweaked. It's an old carpentry trick so it's not perfect, but that's because the machines can get a much more accurate measurement with lasers and computers than your average tape measure.
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anticubus For This Useful Post:
Clark20 (10-29-2020), Spuds (10-30-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 11:39 PM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
No frame damage. But it's a costly repair. Any rear quarter body damage like that can be fixed. You are looking at $10k.

They way they fix it is pretty simple. New door skin and new rear quarter panel. They just weld that in blend in and paint.

Good luck.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Clark20 (10-29-2020), Spuds (10-30-2020), Tcoat (10-30-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 11:52 PM   #4
Clark20

Drives: 2019 BRZ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
No frame damage. But it's a costly repair. Any rear quarter body damage like that can be fixed. You are looking at $10k.

They way they fix it is pretty simple. New door skin and new rear quarter panel. They just weld that in blend in and paint.

Good luck.
So when I get it back it should look and feel as if nothing ever happened? And do they use the same paint code? I'm curious on how well the paint will be matched. Is it even possible to get the paint exactly the same

Clark20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:50 AM   #5
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,672 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
that's what he means by 'blend'. they fade the new paint into the old paint on the non-replaced panels to keep the overall appearance the same.

talk with your insurance. they're quite apt at explaining the entire process and it's associated techniques to people of all technical or non-technical backgrounds.

the main thing is to make sure that you schedule time to pick up the car, and take the time to properly look it over upon completion under good lighting, and if any of it isn't acceptable to you, to decline the vehicle for [reasons] until it is repaired to pre-collision condition.
Overdrive (10-30-2020), Spuds (10-30-2020), Tcoat (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
ArrrBussiere

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ SC & 2018 Tacoma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
(Repair Manager at a body shop here)

- You'll get a quarter panel sectioned in and painted - then scuff and blend/tint whatever area on quarter/pillar isn't painted to match
- Rocker panel will either be repaired or sectioned, depending on damages in the dogleg/rocker area
- New door shell (they don't do out skins anymore, plus it looks like your intrusion beam is wrapped, so new door for sure.
- Blend front fender to match new paint on door and quarter
- TONS of R&I's (remove/install) like the front bumper, front headlight, rear bumper, rear tail light, belt molding, appliques etc...

They will try and find LKQ door, which is fine. Quarter panel NEEDS to be OEM, if any shop tries to use LKQ quarter for sectioning, don't go there.

I'm guessing....$5,500k give or take all said and done with shop supplies, etc...

You will not notice any difference in the vehicle when driving it. There is no structural damage I can see from any of those pics except to the door (see intrusion beam comment).
ArrrBussiere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ArrrBussiere For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (10-30-2020), anticubus (10-30-2020), DAEMANO (10-30-2020), soundman98 (10-30-2020), Spuds (10-30-2020), Tcoat (10-30-2020), Ultramaroon (10-31-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 04:27 PM   #7
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
They might not even need to do any paint blending since it is a 2019. My other car (MY 2018) had to have a tailgate and bumper replaced earlier this year and the paint matched perfectly without blending.

But it should be fine either way I see nothing that indicates frame damage. I would make sure it gets an alignment though. After that, if it drives differently, it's probably in your head.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #8
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrBussiere View Post
(Repair Manager at a body shop here)

- You'll get a quarter panel sectioned in and painted - then scuff and blend/tint whatever area on quarter/pillar isn't painted to match
- Rocker panel will either be repaired or sectioned, depending on damages in the dogleg/rocker area
- New door shell (they don't do out skins anymore, plus it looks like your intrusion beam is wrapped, so new door for sure.
- Blend front fender to match new paint on door and quarter
- TONS of R&I's (remove/install) like the front bumper, front headlight, rear bumper, rear tail light, belt molding, appliques etc...

They will try and find LKQ door, which is fine. Quarter panel NEEDS to be OEM, if any shop tries to use LKQ quarter for sectioning, don't go there.

I'm guessing....$5,500k give or take all said and done with shop supplies, etc...

You will not notice any difference in the vehicle when driving it. There is no structural damage I can see from any of those pics except to the door (see intrusion beam comment).
I had similar dents and damage from a slippery foot on a clutch trying to finagle my way into a garage that was way too tight. Cost approx 6k for new rear quarter panel, door and paint and blend. Unable to tell the difference and you wouldn't know unless I told you.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #9
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark20 View Post
So when I get it back it should look and feel as if nothing ever happened? And do they use the same paint code? I'm curious on how well the paint will be matched. Is it even possible to get the paint exactly the same

Depends on how good a shop is. But 80% of all body shops will do a great job. As long as insurance pays them.

Yes on the paint. We who have little experience on automotive paint, they can blend anything. It's all skill.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:47 PM   #10
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,187 Times in 610 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
A used door replacement is what I prefer. It will be off a late model write off. This makes it exactly the same ie all seam sealer. Makes it almost impossible to pick, even with a trained eye especially if it was the same color
gen3v8 is offline   Reply With Quote