follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2020, 01:34 PM   #71
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
It depends. I grew up with a well and a septic tank. That's not too big a deal any more with some decent solar panels. As long as it has good internet connections and the ability to grow your own food or hunt for it that could be nice.
I grew up with them as well but this doesn’t even go that far.
Spuds (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #72
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I generally don't mind North Carolina too much,,,.
As a NC native that grew up in the sandhills (Fayetteville area) I'd be willing to live in the mountains or the coast, but not in the middle of the state. Living within driving distance of Asheville would be good, but it definitely gets mountain cold there in the winter. I love the Outer Banks but it's expensive, at least for water views.

South Carolina has lots of rural areas, and my family has (bad) history there. I'm pretty sure I'm related to about half the state.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-19-2020), why? (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #73
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
As a NC native that grew up in the sandhills (Fayetteville area) I'd be willing to live in the mountains or the coast, but not in the middle of the state. Living within driving distance of Asheville would be good, but it definitely gets mountain cold there in the winter. I love the Outer Banks but it's expensive, at least for water views.

South Carolina has lots of rural areas, and my family has (bad) history there. I'm pretty sure I'm related to about half the state.
I got the picture -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-19-2020), NWFRS (11-08-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #74
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:

The middle of the state is far less expensive. I don't live in the cheapest area, but it is really inexpensive and I am 45 minutes from both Raleigh and Fayetteville.

The mountains are nice but I'm not dealing with snow. The Outer Banks is amazing but I grew up in a tourist area and living there is horrible.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 07:50 PM   #75
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
The middle of the state is far less expensive. I don't live in the cheapest area, but it is really inexpensive and I am 45 minutes from both Raleigh and Fayetteville.

The mountains are nice but I'm not dealing with snow. The Outer Banks is amazing but I grew up in a tourist area and living there is horrible.
Raleigh area isn't bad, although the last time I was there it was getting congested and spread out. I visit Fayetteville on occasion because I still have family there, but as I tell other folks Fayetteville is a good place to be from.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
why? (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #76
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Raleigh area isn't bad, although the last time I was there it was getting congested and spread out. I visit Fayetteville on occasion because I still have family there, but as I tell other folks Fayetteville is a good place to be from.
So true. Walking through the 'mall' near Fort Bragg total makes that statement. I didn't even know there were that many stores that sold men's sneakers. The entire thing was a testament to terrible decisions. Men's clothing, women's clothing, jewelry stores.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-22-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 10:46 PM   #77
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Depends on the season, of course, and access to medical facilities, but I really love Northern Italy. Rolling hills, steep ravines, rivers, forests, cereal crops, grapes, mountain villages, etc. My cousins live in Florence. Fairly relaxed for a tourist town. As soon as you get outside the city center it’s pretty quiet. Once you get outside of town it’s gorgeous. Lucca and Sienna and their surrounds were relaxing as well. Most of the family is in the south, inland from Bari, and it’s beautiful in a different way but I would rather live in the north.

Currently living in Northwestern Washington State. Love the weather. Super mild winters. Typically only goes below freezing a few days a year. A hot day in summer is about 85 F. Mountains, forests, and sea breeze. Fresh seafood. Sunrise over the mountains and sunsets over the water. I’m content right where we are.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NWFRS For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (11-09-2020), Tcoat (11-09-2020), Ultramaroon (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #78
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,448 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I agree with Northern Italy. We spent 10 glorious days riding, eating, drinking and enjoying the area. Four of the worlds best known race tracks, (Imola, Monza, Misano and Mugello) are within hours of each other. If the wife and I could have we would have moved there 15 years ago. But life, (health, family and financial issues) got in the way. Gee, we'll just have to make due with living on the banks of the Trent River.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stephen W.; 05-01-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #79
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Referencing post# 32, here is where I'd adopt as my home country:

5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 11-09-2020 at 11:42 AM.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #80
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
I agree with Northern Italy. We spent 10 glorious days riding, eating, drinking and enjoying the area. Four of the worlds best known race tracks, (Imola, Monza, Misano and Mugello) are within hours of each other. If the wife and I could have we would have moved there 15 years ago. But life, (health, family and financial issues) got in the way. Gee, we'll just have to make due with living on the banks of the Trent River.
Cool! Riding? Motorbikes?

It’s been a while for me. The last time I was there was in ‘08. I was between jobs and spent three months in Rome. I had a driving/riding permit, but after spending a few days observing the motorbikes speeding around on wet cobbles I decided I’d better not. I thought I was a badass back then but Romans are something else. Witnessed a crash between two mopeds one day. They screamed and shook their fists at each other for several minutes while riding away in stages.

They are also going through a long, protracted recession and they struggle with immigration. I was there during the Berlusconi campaign season and it was nuts. Every few minutes someone would come along and plaster their campaign poster up over the opposition’s. It was a race. It seemed like they all got plastered over before any had a chance to dry. Trucks trundling around with loudspeakers, flags, and dozens of people hanging off the top and sides. The citizens accused both candidates of being “mafioso”. Several of my friends spoke at length about out-of-control taxes that were going to cause their families to lose their ancestral homes outside the cities because the youth didn’t have the money to pay. Overall I know it’s not a very practical dream but the geographic area, history, art, and people really make it feel like a charmed place.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NWFRS For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #81
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,448 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yep, motorcycles thanks to Ducati. We spent a day here and a day there in places like Firenza and Modena. We started and ended in Bologna at the factory. We stayed in a historic convent near Dicomano. (sp)
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #82
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Santa Barbara, CA
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #83
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Referencing post# 32, here is where I'd adopt as my home country...
Years ago I lived on a hilltop overlooking Port Antonio for a few months and drove my Toyota Starlet all over the island meeting lots of friendly locals.

It's a different place now, I wouldn't feel safe there any longer.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:59 AM   #84
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_ View Post
If I could choose, it would be Switzerland. I am not a city person. I would rather choose a quiet and peaceful place full of natural beauty. And like a YammyBest (https://yammy.best/en/) program to provide my three-time meals.

These ads are getting smarter.
weederr33 (04-30-2021)