follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #85
bigfatcat

Drives: gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
zero long term issues. If you're stopped at a light, you'll get a little more heat soak than usual, but no more than a K&N FPIK.
Nice! Just noticed you have a CR] Ive always wanted to try one, but they are getting super pricy(had the chance to pick one up for around 20k back in 2009 but didn't). How does it compare with a regular S?
bigfatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #86
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I just noticed this now exists: https://bbrgti.com/products/bbr-mx-5...2019-on-184-ps

I'm guessing most of that comes from the cams, since they only squeezed 7hp out of a tune only. They've done some kind of correction to the HP number so I think the actual bhp may be a little lower. Intake manifold hasn't been touched and the bottom end hasn't been touched, so this little Skyactiv has the potential to get pretty uncomfortably close to S2000 power.

This further reinforces my thinking that if you don't need the S2000's bigger cabin, the ND is pretty tough to beat.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Red-86 (07-14-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 11:33 PM   #87
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatcat View Post
Nice! Just noticed you have a CR] Ive always wanted to try one, but they are getting super pricy(had the chance to pick one up for around 20k back in 2009 but didn't). How does it compare with a regular S?
Slightly stiffer chassis due to the additional bracing, significantly more NVH as there's zero factory sound deadening, but that NVH is what gives the s2k character to begin with! The intake airbox or exposed filter K&N FIPK is a perfect example of that.

The exhaust is a big louder, but nothing noisier. Suspension is significantly different in damping, but coilovers would make that moot as well.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #88
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've been driving my friends ap2 s2000 in the canyons every other weekend for the past 1-2 months so I thought I'd post an update here. He's done a few mods since my last post, namely fresher OEM dampers and a max OEM camber alignment (roughly -2.0 F, -2.8 R). I thought these were nice improvements over his previous setup. Seems like the front end has more grip now and maintains contact better with the ground over midcorner bumps. I can still feel the rear rotating under moderate trail-braking but nothing that will catch you out. I actually find his current setup very intuitive and easy to drive aggressively (coming from my tracked FRS). The balance is adjustable with the pedals, which I like. With stickier tires I think he'll want to dial in the alignment a bit more, but on his current tires I think it's good enough.

He also added stoptech sport pads which are just ok. The hot bite is good, but the pads still fade in the canyons when driven moderately hard.

I also upgraded my FRS to a lighter flywheel and wanted to see if I'd notice any difference against his s2000. We did a 25-80 mph pull starting in 2nd. Surprisingly this time he pulled half a car in the beginning of 2nd and then we were dead even the rest of the way. Not the result I was expecting! He claimed he may have jumped the horn a bit in the beginning and was able to nail the 2-3 shift (i.e., minimal CDV delay) but I was expecting to make up some ground and instead it was completely even after that. He also had his top up that run (vs. his top down the last time I pulled on him) so maybe that made a difference. I'll try to do another pull with him at some future time, but interesting how close it is between an e85 FRS and stock ap2 in a straight line, which makes it fun in the canyons.

Overall I still really enjoy driving his s2000, especially as his car gets closer to how I've setup my FRS. Both of us agree the powerband on the f22c still feels somewhat narrow at times compared with the e85 fa20. He's looking into a hondata tune to lower the vtec xover and raise the redline to try to get at least a 3000 rpm spread on the top end. After that, I think the next area to address will be his brakes. On my FRS, I'm going to see if I can get a set of low grip street tires to match his and even out the playing field a bit in the canyons. Should be fun!

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (10-17-2020), CSG Mike (07-30-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 07:53 PM   #89
bigfatcat

Drives: gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
We did a 25-80 mph pull starting in 2nd. Surprisingly this time he pulled half a car in the beginning of 2nd and then we were dead even the rest of the way. Not the result I was expecting!
Wonder how much slower it will be without E85 against the S2000. I want to load the E85 tune but wife won't let me. How much butt dyno difference does E85 actually make for this car?

Last edited by bigfatcat; 07-23-2020 at 08:05 PM.
bigfatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigfatcat For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (07-23-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 02:21 AM   #90
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatcat View Post
Wonder how much slower it will be without E85 against the S2000. I want to load the E85 tune but wife won't let me. How much butt dyno difference does E85 actually make for this car?
I brought out my FR-S on a stock tune/91 octane about a month ago. We didn't get a chance to do any side-by-side pulls, but it was noticeably slower than on e85. If I were to guess, I think the S2000 (and e85 FRS) would be 1.5-2 car lengths ahead from 25-80.

On the butt dyno, the e85 tune is enough to be noticeable, but nothing crazy. Just makes the engine feel satisfying, especially from 4000-7400 rpm.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
bigfatcat (07-25-2020), CSG Mike (07-30-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #91
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
I brought out my FR-S on a stock tune/91 octane about a month ago. We didn't get a chance to do any side-by-side pulls, but it was noticeably slower than on e85. If I were to guess, I think the S2000 (and e85 FRS) would be 1.5-2 car lengths ahead from 25-80.

On the butt dyno, the e85 tune is enough to be noticeable, but nothing crazy. Just makes the engine feel satisfying, especially from 4000-7400 rpm.
Do you have any logs with the e85 tune? Just curious how much additional timing you can get.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #92
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Do you have any logs with the e85 tune? Just curious how much additional timing you can get.
Yeah here's a log:

https://datazap.me/u/darksunrise/532...zoom=1156-1273

Short answer is 34 degrees from approx. 6800-7400 RPM. That's about 10 degrees more on the top end than with the stock tune.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (07-29-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #93
CSG Mike

Quote:
I've been driving my friends ap2 s2000 in the canyons every other weekend for the past 1-2 months so I thought I'd post an update here. He's done a few mods since my last post, namely fresher OEM dampers and a max OEM camber alignment (roughly -2.0 F, -2.8 R). I thought these were nice improvements over his previous setup. Seems like the front end has more grip now and maintains contact better with the ground over midcorner bumps. I can still feel the rear rotating under moderate trail-braking but nothing that will catch you out. I actually find his current setup very intuitive and easy to drive aggressively (coming from my tracked FRS). The balance is adjustable with the pedals, which I like. With stickier tires I think he'll want to dial in the alignment a bit more, but on his current tires I think it's good enough.

He also added stoptech sport pads which are just ok. The hot bite is good, but the pads still fade in the canyons when driven moderately hard.

I also upgraded my FRS to a lighter flywheel and wanted to see if I'd notice any difference against his s2000. We did a 25-80 mph pull starting in 2nd. Surprisingly this time he pulled half a car in the beginning of 2nd and then we were dead even the rest of the way. Not the result I was expecting! He claimed he may have jumped the horn a bit in the beginning and was able to nail the 2-3 shift (i.e., minimal CDV delay) but I was expecting to make up some ground and instead it was completely even after that. He also had his top up that run (vs. his top down the last time I pulled on him) so maybe that made a difference. I'll try to do another pull with him at some future time, but interesting how close it is between an e85 FRS and stock ap2 in a straight line, which makes it fun in the canyons.

Overall I still really enjoy driving his s2000, especially as his car gets closer to how I've setup my FRS. Both of us agree the powerband on the f22c still feels somewhat narrow at times compared with the e85 fa20. He's looking into a hondata tune to lower the vtec xover and raise the redline to try to get at least a 3000 rpm spread on the top end. After that, I think the next area to address will be his brakes. On my FRS, I'm going to see if I can get a set of low grip street tires to match his and even out the playing field a bit in the canyons. Should be fun!
Lets get him some proper pads for that car!

Any reason he didn't do the CDV delete?
Old 07-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #94
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Lets get him some proper pads for that car!

Any reason he didn't do the CDV delete?
Yeah he actually deleted the CDV after trying my stage 1 clutch . He had to use the drill out method. I'm really curious to try it out since I was never a fan of the soft clutch engagement on the AP2, but he's told me it's only half the problem. Apparently the other issue is the weight of the AP2 flywheel vs. pressure plate (I'm sure you know what he's talking about). Also he's started to hear a faint supercharger-like whine in 4th-6th gears when on the throttle. Not sure if related to the CDV delete, but seems to have happened around the same time.

He shopped around on the CSG page when looking for Stoptech pads but couldn't find them. When he upgrades before his first track day, I'm sure he'll pick up some Carbotech or G-loc pads from you guys.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 07-30-2020, 06:08 PM   #95
CSG Mike

Quote:
Yeah he actually deleted the CDV after trying my stage 1 clutch . He had to use the drill out method. I'm really curious to try it out since I was never a fan of the soft clutch engagement on the AP2, but he's told me it's only half the problem. Apparently the other issue is the weight of the AP2 flywheel vs. pressure plate (I'm sure you know what he's talking about). Also he's started to hear a faint supercharger-like whine in 4th-6th gears when on the throttle. Not sure if related to the CDV delete, but seems to have happened around the same time.

He shopped around on the CSG page when looking for Stoptech pads but couldn't find them. When he upgrades before his first track day, I'm sure he'll pick up some Carbotech or G-loc pads from you guys.
Just have him e-mail if he wants anything specific.

The clutch as a whole is fairly soft; a heavier pressure plate would fix it as would a lighter flywheel.

My favorite OE style combo is Toda or Spoon flywheel with OEM disc, and ACT pressure plate. The combo is light, but will easily hold any reasonable amount of boosted power as well.

Conversion for push/pull is OS Giken, which is king, but not everyone likes the floating basket noise.

That ring is a royal PITA to get out.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (07-30-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 12:18 PM   #96
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Coming from an AP2 S2000 into an E85 BRZ this thread really interests me. First thing, the S2000's makes massive gains under the curve when lowering the VTEC engagement speed. Additionally, most people agree that you can set an AP2 to an 8,500 rpm redline safely, with no noticeable long-term degradation. Those two items alone make the difference between a stock AP2 and a tuned one as much as a change what E85 is to the GT86 platform. It'll be a whole new car.

To add to this, I believe my 2005 S2000 (intake, single exhaust, no tune, test pipe on 93 octane) would put a bus length on my BRZ (Tomei UEL, single exhaust, stage 2+, full E85) no problem.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:15 PM   #97
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
Coming from an AP2 S2000 into an E85 BRZ this thread really interests me. First thing, the S2000's makes massive gains under the curve when lowering the VTEC engagement speed. Additionally, most people agree that you can set an AP2 to an 8,500 rpm redline safely, with no noticeable long-term degradation. Those two items alone make the difference between a stock AP2 and a tuned one as much as a change what E85 is to the GT86 platform. It'll be a whole new car.
From what my friend was telling me, the hondata tune sounds like an ideal upgrade. I think he's pretty set on getting it.

Quote:
To add to this, I believe my 2005 S2000 (intake, single exhaust, no tune, test pipe on 93 octane) would put a bus length on my BRZ (Tomei UEL, single exhaust, stage 2+, full E85) no problem.
Yeah I have no doubt with mods the S2000 would be faster, but I can only speak to my own experience (stock AP2 vs. e85 FRS). It'll be interesting to see how much faster his S2000 gets once he has a hondata tune. I'll update here later on.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 07-31-2020, 06:58 PM   #98
CSG Mike

Quote:

I don't know about the "most people agree" part. Both math and used oil data over time show that 8500 will significantly increase cylinder sidewall wear. I couldn't get wear to OE levels until I was back down to 8300.

Mathematically, ~8900 F20C ~~8242 F22C

While AUC increases with a VTEC drop, swept area (mostly) does not, and for redline pulls, zero gains are realized on a F20C, and only marginal gains on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts on a F22C.

While your AP2 may feel more exciting, with equally skilled drivers and a good tune, your BRZ would actually be roughly even with the AP2. You could even just measure acceleration with Draggy, and find yourself surprised at the BRZ's acceleration. The BRZ squats less and has a longer wheel base, resulting in a lesser feeling of "pull".
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (07-31-2020)