follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
SamuelDev

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brand new 2016 BRZ and first manual car -- some questions and concerns

Hey folks!

So I just obtained my dream car -- a brand new 2016 Crystal Black Silica Subaru BRZ Limited. It's my first manual, and barring the first hour or two with it which was stall-city, I'm sort of getting the hang of it. But I still have some concerns.

Here she is, my dream car:

1. Shifting into 1st gear is sometimes a struggle -- in the sense that I really have to jam the shifter forward pretty hard, and I hear a loud "whurring" / "buzzing" from my engine for a second or two afterwards. From my research I gather this is just a result of it being a new car and needing to be broken in. Is this something I should be worried about?

2. The engine break-in period that a lot of people talk about... the consensus seems to be "don't rev above 4k RPM for the first 1000 miles (or in my case ~1600Km). Assuming there is truth to this -- does this mean revving above 4k AT ALL, or just for prolonged periods of time? For example while I'm still getting used to the gas pedal (it's very sensitive compared to my old VW Golf), I may accidentally spike the RPM to above 4k just for a brief second while trying to change gears. Is this doing the same kind of damage that people have the "don't rev above 4k in the beginning" mentality say? Or are they referring to racing / speeding situations where you will have it above 4k for prolonged periods of time?

3. Any general shifting tips for a newbie? 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th, 5th to 6th -- no problem. It's neutral to 1st, 1st to 2nd where all of my issues lie. I am finding it insanely easy to rev SUPER high while barely touching the gas pedal in while shifting in this range. Am I doing something wrong? Are my steps below relatively accurate?

Neutral to 1st, assuming flat ground:

- Hold clutch
- Hold break
- Release break
- Release clutch to halfway point where clutch begins to engage ever so slightly
- THEN put foot on gas, ever so slightly, revving to maybe 1000-1500 RPM
- Very slowly let off the clutch until it is fully released and the car is going 10-15km/h

1st to 2nd:

- Remove foot from gas
- Press clutch very quickly all the way in
- Move shifter down to 2nd
- Release clutch to halfway point so it begins engaging ever so slightly
- Press gas down a hair
- Slowly release clutch until fully released and going 2nd gear appropriate speed

4. Any general "what gear should I be in when" comments? Here's what I've determined so far from a few days:

Making a slow turn into my driveway or an otherwise very slow turn into somewhere? 2nd gear

Driving at the standard 50-60km/h around a city? 4th gear and hover around 2000RPM

Highway driving at 120km/h? 6th gear hovering between 1500 and 2500 RPM

Cruising around the parking lot at a mall trying to find parking? Haven't decided between 1st and 2nd gear being better, any comments?

5. Some people say that the clutches current spot is really bad for learning manual - I have to release the clutch wayyyyyyyy out before it engages. I know almost nothing about cars or car maintenance... should I do a DIY clutch engagement adjustment myself, or should I find someone more knowledgeable? How trivial is the adjustment, really?

6. Is the general idea that the higher your RPMs, the more gas you're consuming? I'm trying to drive this thing, as I've always driven all of my cars, as fuel-efficiently as I possibly can (when not racing it on a track). Where should I be hovering my RPMs around a city in order to maximize fuel economy? 1500 RPM @ 5th gear? 2000 RPM @ 4th gear? Somewhere else?

7. When driving around a city, bouncing between 2nd and 6th, what RPM do you guy shift at? I've seen some people say 2500RPM shift, 3000RPM shift, 3500RPM shift -- any reasoning behind these, would any be better on the machine / fuel or is it mostly preference?

Any advice / comments would be highly appreciated. Sorry if this is a total noob post, but we all start somewhere!

Last edited by SamuelDev; 09-08-2015 at 04:27 PM.
SamuelDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
RandomDeception

Drives: Stock FR-S
Does that image appear to be broken to anyone else?
RandomDeception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
SamuelDev

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomDeception View Post
Sorry, should be fixed now.
The Following User Says Thank You to SamuelDev For This Useful Post:
RandomDeception (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #4
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomDeception View Post
You in just for the pics too haha!!

I drive an auto and honestly suck with MT so I am no help sorry
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
RandomDeception (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
RandomDeception

Drives: Stock FR-S
Black looks really nice on the BRZ.

It helps to hide that mustache / boxer's mouthguard. :P
RandomDeception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
I have been driving manual cars for the past couple of years and all the cars I've bought have always been manual.

With your break in question is concerned there are multiple ways of going about it. But I WOULD NOT go over 4k rpms AT ALL for the first 1600kms. Also, while on the freeway/highway try not to use cruise control and make sure to vary your speed. It'll make sure you engine breaks in properly.

For shifting...
This car is very difficult. The clutch point is not up to par nor is the shifter smooth (during the break in period, it gets better over time)

For starting out in first. Just give it enough gas to get it going. I think theres a thread on this.. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62350

As for what RPM and which gear I am in while I drive I tend to lead towards..
If I reach 3k rpm, shift into next gear. (reasoning being your torque dips right after.)
If I'm falling below 2k rpm I downshift.
Do realize this is for when I daily drive my 86.

You will soon find out that the gears in this car are close and you will be shifting quite a bit.

I would also give it alittle bit of gas before you feel it engage. It just takes some time in order to get used to your new car's clutch point. All normal things to expect
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
EzyBrzy

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelDev View Post
Hey folks!

1. Shifting into 1st gear is sometimes a struggle -- in the sense that I really have to jam the shifter forward pretty hard, and I hear a loud "whurring" / "buzzing" from my engine for a second or two afterwards. From my research I gather this is just a result of it being a new car and needing to be broken in. Is this something I should be worried about?
I only downshift into first when coming to a stop or slowing rolling

3. Any general shifting tips for a newbie? 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th, 5th to 6th -- no problem. It's neutral to 1st, 1st to 2nd where all of my issues lie. I am finding it insanely easy to rev SUPER high while barely touching the gas pedal in while shifting in this range. Am I doing something wrong? Are my steps below relatively accurate?
Shift point and where the clutch engages is different in every car, you just have to learn. After 1st gear to make it easy, rev a little higher and go into the next gear then slowly release the clutch. You do not need to give it any gas.

Making a slow turn into my driveway or an otherwise very slow turn into somewhere?
1st or 2nd depends how slow you are going

Driving at the standard 50-60km/h around a city? 4th gear and hover around 2000RPM
I find myself going in 6th gear while in city to save gas and stay around 2k-2.5k RPMS

Highway driving at 120km/h? 6th gear hovering between 1500 and 2500 RPM
For best fuel consumption I found it was best to stay around 2k RPMS but that's hard to do LOL

Cruising around the parking lot at a mall trying to find parking? Haven't decided between 1st and 2nd gear being better, any comments?
Same as your previous question about going into a turn slowly, but if you have a loud exhaust it's a lot more fun revving around in 1st inside of a parking garage

7. When driving around a city, bouncing between 2nd and 6th, what RPM do you guy shift at? I've seen some people say 2500RPM shift, 3000RPM shift, 3500RPM shift -- any reasoning behind these, would any be better on the machine / fuel or is it mostly preference?
It's all about how you want to drive. The higher RPMS the more fuel will be consumed. Just cruising I shift around 3-4k RPMS and I still get good gas mileage around town

Any advice / comments would be highly appreciated. Sorry if this is a total noob post, but we all start somewhere!
Answer are in red from my experience and opinion. YMMV
EzyBrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Not a BRZ owner, but applies the same to be sure.

1. Shifting into 1st gear is sometimes a struggle --

Bought my 2013 used with 26K miles. 1st is still a struggle until things are are warmed up.

2. The engine break-in period that a lot of people talk about...

Liability. They want you to take it easy on the off-chance there is a manufacturer flaw. If you are taking it easy and a seal fails, well that can be replaced. If you are revving the crap out of it and that same seal fails a lot more damage could result.

3. Any general shifting tips for a newbie?

Don't overthink it. You aren't going to ruin the clutch that easily. If you rev it higher just get off the clutch quicker. 1st to 2nd is tough because the ratio difference. A good rule of thumb is to push in the clutch and go to 2nd, then wait a second for the revs to fall before releasing the clutch. Whatever you do, expect a lot of bucking and jerking for the first several months of ownership. You aren't going to break anything.

Neutral to 1st, assuming flat ground:

You got it.

1st to 2nd:

Ideally, you wait for the revs to fall then just get off the clutch ASAP. If you want to slip the clutch to smooth out your shifts, go for it. I do this while feathering the gas in most gears. As said above, you aren't going to hurt anything so long as you are quick about it.

4. Any general "what gear should I be in when" comments?

So long as you aren't bogging the engine, be in whatever gear makes the most sense. You'll know when to downshift once the car starts vibrating and emitting a low guttural-moan resulting from its abuse at your hands.

If you are cruising: 1,500-2,000 rpm
If you are accelerating moderately: 2,000~3,000
Brisk acceleration: Over 3,000

High throttle input at lower RPMs can stress the internals.

5. Some people say that the clutches current spot is really bad for learning manual.

My GTI had far greater travel with the engagement point at the top of the pedal. To me, the clutch in the FR-S/ BR-Z is perfect and felt like 2nd nature first time I drove it. Have yet to stall out. When I first got my GTI I stalled at least twice a day for a month straight. If you think it would help, make the adjustment.

6. Is the general idea that the higher your RPMs, the more gas you're consuming?

There is a lot of theory around this. Every engine has a rotational speed where it will be most efficient. Note that cars like the Corvette have very tall final gear because that engine is more efficient cruising under 2K. In my opinion, this car seems most efficient around 2,200. You can use the instant MPG readout to test this.

7. When driving around a city, bouncing between 2nd and 6th, what RPM do you guy shift at?

Sometimes I leave it in a lower gear for maximum engine braking if there is a lot of stop and go. That and I am a lazy person and having to shift a lot, while fun on a back road, is not fun in traffic.

Ideally, I shift around 2,500 if I just want to reach point B without fuss and greater MPG. 4,000 if I trying to keep up with traffic. Charlotte drivers be flooring their shit at every light.

Don't overthink things. Seriously. The worst advise I have seen people give on the matter of driving stick, having been in that position myself, is to claim there is a perfect method. That if you don't adhere to this particular method you are going to have to replace everything at 60,000 miles.

The reality is just be smooth with your inputs, don't ride the clutch unless you are scooting forward in slow moving traffic, and don't do a money shift (6th to 1st at highway speeds).
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
Atticus808

Drives: Splash Mountain
Thanked 2,337 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
i followed the break in procedure for about 10km. then i drove it hard cause i couldn't wait any more.

oh, and the clutch position is fine. i thought it was too high when i first drove it, but in reality, i just sucked cause i was learning. i am used to it now
Atticus808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #10
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Don't downshift into first, the noise you heard isn't breaking in. it's you poorly rev matching it in 1st gear resulting engine rpm have to go up once clutch is released.

BTW you don't have to touch brake at all, gas/clutch alone is good. If you are on a steep incline then you wanna use the hand brake.

When you upshift, don't do it slowly, don't hang that clutch in the middle too long. Important thing is u match the speed with rev @ what ever gear you wanna be in. It's ok to rev higher when you rev match but lower = bad/poor. (Any gear after 2nd is just clutch in/cluth out, no stop/delay.)

Btw, drive this car between 3k-5k even 6k most of time once u done with the break-in period. No point in driving it like everyday commuter, not only it defeats the purpose of the car, the car just feels numb. Enjoy it & the wide rev range it offers. You will have the most fun driving it that way. Remember this isn't a car about refinement, if that's what you asking & you drive it like regular car. you will sell it in a year or 2. (You might think 3k is starting to get loud, but remember that's not even half way there.)

Keep it above 3.5k @ all times & it's gonna feel like it wants to party all the time & you will have a big smile.
* ps: you can drive on highway in just 5th, no point going 6th unless you are on long drive/commuting.

Don't focus so much on what speed/rev/gear @ first(those come with time), focus on what the engine don't like/starting to bog down & always drive above that.

Last edited by chaoskaze; 09-08-2015 at 05:58 PM.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #11
SamuelDev

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
don't downshift into first, the noise you heard isn't breaking in. it's you poorly rev matching it in 1st gear.

Sorry, I didn't accurately describe what I was doing.

I'm not *actually* shifting into first, in the sense that I'm not releasing the clutch. At least I don't think I am.

Say I am driving along and I see a red light coming up. I know I'm going to need to be in 1st to take off from the red light, so:

1 push clutch all the way in
2 switch to first, but DO NOT release the clutch at all
3 slow down w/ brake, again, clutch has not been released
4 once I have slowed to a complete stop, THEN release clutch so I am shifted into first

It's on step 2 of the above -- when i push my shifter into 1st gear, without actually engaging the gear -- that I hear the noise.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #12
EzyBrzy

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelDev View Post
Sorry, I didn't accurately describe what I was doing.

I'm not *actually* shifting into first, in the sense that I'm not releasing the clutch. At least I don't think I am.

Say I am driving along and I see a red light coming up. I know I'm going to need to be in 1st to take off from the red light, so:

1 push clutch all the way in
2 switch to first, but DO NOT release the clutch at all
3 slow down w/ brake, again, clutch has not been released
4 once I have slowed to a complete stop, THEN release clutch so I am shifted into first

It's on step 2 of the above -- when i push my shifter into 1st gear, without actually engaging the gear -- that I hear the noise.
Don't shift into first until you've come to a complete stop or slowly rolling to one.

One guy told me he shifted into first while driving on the highway but he had his foot engage on the clutch to just get a feel of his new short shifter or something. . . His brand new clutch disintegrated into powder.
EzyBrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #13
SamuelDev

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyBrzy View Post
Don't shift into first until you've come to a complete stop or slowly rolling to one.

One guy told me he shifted into first while driving on the highway but he had his foot engage on the clutch. . . His clutch disintegrated into powder.
Noted! So even if the clutch is all the way in, pre-emptively shifting into a lower gear too soon is bad.

Gosh do I feel like an idiot.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #14
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
No reason to ever shift into first unless you are stopped. And when you are in first and are trying to get going, don't give it gas, if you release the clutch slow enough the clutch itself alone will get the car moving a bit, then you can release the clutch the rest of the way and give the car some gas.

Same thing for shifting from first to second. Don't worry about rev matching right now, the synchros will worry about that. Shift first, then when you completely release the clutch you can give the car gas.

First and second gear are always the hardest to learn on any car.

As for break in, no need to give it gas any where near 4k rpm. And just as important is to not keep the rpm at a constant. Vary it as much as possible.

The clutch is pretty much like any modern economy car clutch. Very light and a pain in the ass. You'll get used to it and when you are practiced the high engagement point will be a positive for faster shifting.

Right now worry about varying your rpm's more than fuel economy, but the best fuel economy will always be had by using the highest gear you can for the speed you are going.

Shift points are always a preference and depend on all sorts of different things.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote