follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2020, 05:54 PM   #323
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post
LOL..no it's not. Not even close.

If you had a BONE STOCK stock car with a 45mm drop knuckle kit, the car would still have factory geometry. If you tried to raise it any further from where it is, or lower it any further from where it is, you have compromised geometry.

But at least in the case of lowering, you're not sweeping past the optimum angle on compression. Your control arm will always be operating under that angle save for weird cases of excessive droop, which is not an issue generally and would be on the unloaded side anyway.

However, if you raise your car, as the suspension compresses, the knuckle will travel from below the pickup point on the subframe, to neutral, to above. This transition will cause unpredictable behavior because of nonlinear and not even unidirectional changes in roll resistance and camber curves
Your wise fab drops the car and compensates for the geometry simultaneously. That's the beauty of it.

That then lets you run the Flex A at "super high height" aka stock height equivalent, while retaining the intended stroke range. Now obviously you shouldn't run the CSG FLA that high out of the box, but thats where an extended sleeve comes in to play.

I get that suspension is a complex system, and you may need to visualize it.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #324
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Now obviously you shouldn't run the CSG FLA that high out of the box, but thats where an extended sleeve comes in to play.
Do you sell those extended sleeves on your website? Or how can one get those?
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #325
Var

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Your wise fab drops the car and compensates for the geometry simultaneously. That's the beauty of it.

That then lets you run the Flex A at "super high height" aka stock height equivalent, while retaining the intended stroke range. Now obviously you shouldn't run the CSG FLA that high out of the box, but thats where an extended sleeve comes in to play.
You're talking past me and conveniently ignoring the issue, which is not stroke range. Read my last post again and answer it. I can draw you a picture if you want.

Your potential customer
Quote:
timurrrr
asked you about ride height, not stroke range. Address the geometry issue with your solution. You can't
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #326
CSG Mike

Stock knuckle

As you know, a roll center correction kit corrects roll center by dropping the lower control arm relative to the knuckle, e.g. the front whiteline RC kit. YOU correct less, or more, by using spacers to shim it.

Wisefab knuckle, with built-in roll center correction. Note the position of the LCA.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #327
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Do you sell those extended sleeves on your website? Or how can one get those?
I believe they're custom made, as most folks don't ask for them; the folks who want that level of customization are typically running a much more customize able suspension with a larger/wider/longer shock body, like a JRZ.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #328
CSG Mike

Quote:
You're talking past me and conveniently ignoring the issue, which is not stroke range. Read my last post again and answer it. I can draw you a picture if you want.

Your potential customer asked you about ride height, not stroke range. Address the geometry issue with your solution. You can't
I'm not ignoring the issue, because there is no issue. You're grasping at straws, and looking for issues or things to complain about, when there isn't really.

Quite frankly, from the email chain that was forwarded to me, I see the sales team took your request quite literally when you asked to complete the rear first, and gave you a complete rear solution, minus the rear extended sleeve.

It would they inadvertently overdelivered trying to get you the best solution and value possible, since in the process of completing your rear, they also factored in and corrected your lightly compromised roll center, and also gave you full rear adjustments to play with.

The only oversight here I see, is that they didn't account for the shorter shock body of the FLA, since this type of setup is normally reserved for folks using JRZs or Penskes on this platform, and don't need any coilover modification.

Quote:
If you had a BONE STOCK stock car with a 45mm drop knuckle kit, the car would still have factory geometry. If you tried to raise it any further from where it is, or lower it any further from where it is, you have compromised geometry.
That's precisely what I'm telling you to do.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:13 PM   #329
Var

Quote:
I'm not ignoring the issue, because there is no issue.
That's not what was being discussed. If you do a wisefab kit and you are ok with the ride height you end up at, then all is kosher. You can use a sleeve. You can use a longer shock body. You will be golden.

If you try to set the car back up to the default, pre-set ride-height of the Flex A, your suspension geometry will be much worse off than if you had slammed your car an equal amount
Old 07-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #330
Var

Quote:
Quite frankly, from the email chain that was forwarded to me, I see the sales team took your request quite literally when you asked to complete the rear first, and gave you a complete rear solution, minus the rear extended sleeve.

It would they inadvertently overdelivered trying to get you the best solution and value possible, since in the process of completing your rear, they also factored in and corrected your lightly compromised roll center, and also gave you full rear adjustments to play with.

The only oversight here I see, is that they didn't account for the shorter shock body of the FLA, since this type of setup is normally reserved for folks using JRZs or Penskes on this platform, and don't need any coilover modification.

Forget my ongoing issue with CSG for the moment. That's none of your business any longer. I'm just talking about setup and potential negative consequences of using a certain part in an unintended way, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I want you to envision my control arms parallel right now. And envision them when I lift the car another inch, regardless of the method i use to lift the car (barring of course uninstalling the wisefab kit if you're going to be pedantic) Let's just say I used sleeves to raise it
Old 07-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #331
CSG Mike

Quote:
That's not what was being discussed. If you do a wisefab kit and you are ok with the ride height you end up at, then all is kosher. You can use a sleeve. You can use a longer shock body. You will be golden.

If you try to set the car back up to the default, pre-set ride-height of the Flex A, your suspension geometry will be much worse off than if you had slammed your car an equal amount
That's where the extended sleeve comes in.

Do you know how suspension ride height is set? I think we may need to clarify a few basic coilover adjustments for you, because I think you may be misunderstanding some fundamentals.

Ride height is set by adjusting the body against the sleeve. An extended sleeve allows for a longer coilover assembly for a larger range of adjustment.

In this case, the CSG FLA is specifically designed with a short sleeve to allow for a reasonable drop. You need a longer body because your drop is already achieved by the knuckle.

Drops, in theory, need roll center correction. Your knuckle already corrects the roll center change for you.

You literally have the best of both worlds, and just need a longer damper body to finish it off.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #332
CSG Mike

Measurements A and B are what you are setting to recommended.

C and D are redundant. Because your setup requires a longer body, C and D are extended.

C and D are provided as redundancy against A and B.

The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
juliog (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #333
Var

Quote:
That's where the extended sleeve comes in.

Do you know how suspension ride height is set? I think we may need to clarify a few basic coilover adjustments for you, because I think you may be misunderstanding some fundamentals.

Ride height is set by adjusting the body against the sleeve. An extended sleeve allows for a longer coilover assembly for a larger range of adjustment.

In this case, the CSG FLA is specifically designed with a short sleeve to allow for a reasonable drop. You need a longer body because your drop is already achieved by the knuckle.

Drops, in theory, need roll center correction. Your knuckle already corrects the roll center change for you.

You literally have the best of both worlds, and just need a longer damper body to finish it off.
I can use a sleeve or a longer shock body to raise the car. I understand that. This was never in question. There are consequences.

If my control arms are currently parallel to the ground, i.e., in the corrected and correct position, what would happen to the control arm angles if I raised the rear end of the car one inch using a sleeve? Don't deflect. Answer that question
Old 07-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #334
CSG Mike

Quote:
I can use a sleeve or a longer shock body to raise the car. I understand that. This was never in question. There are consequences.

If my control arms are currently parallel to the ground, i.e., in the corrected and correct position, what would happen to the control arm angles if I raised the rear end of the car one inch using a sleeve? Don't deflect. Answer that question
Why would you raise the car an inch higher than stock? You'd get jacking.

Your question reveals that you're not seeing the big picture.

CSG FLA naturally results in a drop, while compromising RC

Wisefab naturally results in a drop, correcting RC

Increase CSG FLA body length to only utilize Wisefab drop. This now optimizes geometry, and uses intended stroke of CSG FLA.

Boom. Done.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #335
Var

Quote:
Why would you raise the car an inch higher than stock? You'd get jacking.
THANK YOU! Mind you, that's not an inch higher than stock, that's an inch higher than where wisefab put me. That would be an inch higher than the stock damper length, which is what your sleeve solution would do.

Now..Why would I raise the rear end of the car one inch? Because the hardware that CSG recommended and sold to me slammed the rear end of my car by over an inch. I did not want this. All I wanted was full rear spherical bushings. So now I have to raise the rear end , or lower the front end. These are the options I have.

If I raise the rear end by the amount necessary, I ruin the geometry. If I lower the front end by the amount necessary, I ruin the geometry. I would have to spend thousands of more dollars to do either without ruining the geometry.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #336
nlopez

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL..no it's not. Not even close.

But at least in the case of lowering, you're not sweeping past the optimum angle on compression. Your control arm will always be operating under that angle save for weird cases of excessive droop, which is not an issue generally and would be on the unloaded side anyway.

However, if you raise your car, as the suspension compresses, the control arms (on the knuckle side) will travel from below the pickup point on the subframe, to neutral, to above. This transition will cause unpredictable behavior because of nonlinear and not even unidirectional changes in roll resistance and camber curves
Since you're not getting the answer you want/need... Have you consulted Wisefab, Tein, or Perrin for a solution to your problem?
nlopez is offline   Reply With Quote