follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Potential FR-S / BRZ Buyer - Feedback Appreciated

Hi,

First of all I'd like to thank everyone who posts both positive and negative information, as I've been lurking for a bit, but have really learned a lot about the FR-S / BRZ from this forum as part of my research.

I've narrowed my search and am planning on scheduling a couple of test drives for later in the week but I was wondering if I could get some thoughts on a few questions I had below...

Disclaimer: I'm a car NOOB, have never driven manual, and know only the bare bone minimum to keep a vehicle running (still driving a 2002 Honda Accord which was purchased new - has roughly 270,000 miles on it). One of the reasons I joined this forum is so I can learn a bit more and keep a FR-S / BRZ properly maintained if I go through with the purchase.

---

Questions:

- A handful of local dealers seem to be carrying more used FR-S / BRZ right now, I'm assuming it's because of the impending winter months (NJ) - is now an ideal time to buy? I am not in danger of my Accord dying on me, and have ample cash saved (the prices I have seen listed seem reasonable, but I was hoping to negotiate them down).

- My commute for the next 1-2 years will be roughly 100 miles a day (highway driving, level terrain) - I wanted to make this my daily driver. Is this feasible in a FR-S / BRZ?

- Is it unreasonable to ask a dealer to throw in snow tires? I figured it couldn't hurt to ask - as I read a poster or two saying they were able to - but this is my first time purchasing a car on my own so any advice is appreciated.

- If I purchase mounted snow tires, can those be installed on your own like a simple spare tire, or are there any other checks / activities that should be performed?

---

There were a few more things I wanted to ask about, but can't remember at this point in time...

Thanks,
02.ACCORD.DUDE
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
-for a RWD sporty car, I imagine winter probably is the best time to get one cheap, especially up north.

-my daily commute is only 20 miles, but I drive ~300-400 miles every weekend without any complaints. Car can definitely be a daily driver. Even being a manual, getting stuck in traffic is not that bad. Previous car was a auto 2000 Accord for reference.

-negotiating snow tires seems feasible, but up to the dealer.

-car has TPMS, so a light will come on if you put a set on that the computer doesn't recognize (or doesn't exist). You could search and I bet you'd find someone who has found a solution.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
mrwiggles

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
-Yes, probably not a bad time to pick one up, just be patient, negotiate, and get yourself a good deal.

-Definitely doable (I commute 60 miles round trip a day). Just understand that from a noise perspective, this car is not a Lexus or Cadillac and it will be substantially noisy/noiser than what you are used to, so if this is a dealbreaker don't get the car.

As a sidenote to this you mentioned you never drove manual before. I want to mention that once you get used to it, it's not that annoying to drive in traffic. You tend to change your driving habits for the better too (leaving lots of space in front of you and just cruising real slow until traffic picks up)

-Why not? Can't hurt to ask for snow tires. If not there are reasonable options on Tire Rack. I have Michelin Xi3's and like them a lot, have heard good things about General Altimax Arctics too.

-If you buy mounted/balanced snow tires you can install them yourself, just make sure things are torqued to spec. Because I am lazy I just pay Sears $50 to swap tires on the stock rims when time comes to switch. Snow tires are a 100% must with this car, the first year I had the car I tried to drive with the stock tires during a Chicago blizzard and it was really scary.
mrwiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:48 AM   #4
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwiggles View Post
-Yes, probably not a bad time to pick one up, just be patient, negotiate, and get yourself a good deal.

-Definitely doable (I commute 60 miles round trip a day). Just understand that from a noise perspective, this car is not a Lexus or Cadillac and it will be substantially noisy/noiser than what you are used to, so if this is a dealbreaker don't get the car.

As a sidenote to this you mentioned you never drove manual before. I want to mention that once you get used to it, it's not that annoying to drive in traffic. You tend to change your driving habits for the better too (leaving lots of space in front of you and just cruising real slow until traffic picks up)

-Why not? Can't hurt to ask for snow tires. If not there are reasonable options on Tire Rack. I have Michelin Xi3's and like them a lot, have heard good things about General Altimax Arctics too.

-If you buy mounted/balanced snow tires you can install them yourself, just make sure things are torqued to spec. Because I am lazy I just pay Sears $50 to swap tires on the stock rims when time comes to switch. Snow tires are a 100% must with this car, the first year I had the car I tried to drive with the stock tires during a Chicago blizzard and it was really scary.
Thanks for the feedback.

How do you find the seats? I've read they kind of wear on you after a while, as for the noise thing - I'll definitely pay attention to it during my test drive, but as long as it's not any noisier than my dinosaur accord I should be all right.
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:21 AM   #5
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The edge of the bolster on my seat is starting to wear a tad from getting in and out, likely from my pocket knife rubbing that spot though. Seat covers are fairly cheap, so if it does wear through, that is an option and they look quite nice.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:59 AM   #6
1GiantTurtle
Space for Rent

Drives: 2014 6MT ToyoBaru86ScionMonogram?
Thanked 1,136 Times in 526 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I test drove an automatic and left with a manual. During my test drive i mainly heard exhaust and intake induction noise, there is a sound tube that's connected to the intake that pumps induction noise into the cabin. I don't think noise is that much an issue, compared to the accord from those days,
the edge of the bolster on my seat is starting to wear a tad from getting in and out as well(leather/alcantara), (approaching 10k mi 8 months)
also listen to it idle, if the chirping sound drives u nuts it may be a deal breaker to some, my fix was louder exhaust and turning up the radio,
all i can say is this car is like a high maint. girlfriend,
your always going to buy it nice new things,
its sleek slim sexy
only drinks the expensive stuff
constantly trying to shed weight
you can't stop looking at it
people will ask and complement it

Good luck

Instagram: 86turtle
1GiantTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:07 AM   #7
艾洛

Drives: Raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
- A handful of local dealers seem to be carrying more used FR-S / BRZ right now, I'm assuming it's because of the impending winter months (NJ) - is now an ideal time to buy? I am not in danger of my Accord dying on me, and have ample cash saved (the prices I have seen listed seem reasonable, but I was hoping to negotiate them down).
Direct answer, Yes
Try shopping around the 20th and decide on a dealership around the 25th as most dealers will want to meet quotas. You'll be the one tossing the salesperson around if they have quotas to meet.

- My commute for the next 1-2 years will be roughly 100 miles a day (highway driving, level terrain) - I wanted to make this my daily driver. Is this feasible in a FR-S / BRZ?
The noise in the cabin is pretty loud and may send you towards getting some sound deadening materials.

- Is it unreasonable to ask a dealer to throw in snow tires? I figured it couldn't hurt to ask - as I read a poster or two saying they were able to - but this is my first time purchasing a car on my own so any advice is appreciated.
Never hurts to ask them to toss in extras, especially if they're trying to meet quotas, they'll try to do as much as they can for you.

- If I purchase mounted snow tires, can those be installed on your own like a simple spare tire, or are there any other checks / activities that should be performed?
If you get them with the TPMS sensors -- mounted and balanced it should be quick and easy.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:43 AM   #8
djmm

Drives: toyota
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
100 miles a day, level road and mainly cruising, sounds like you'll enjoy Tesla more than 86.
djmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #9
billyk

Drives: 2014 Argento FR-S
Here's a warning from a new FR-S owner.

If you test drive it, you'll buy it.

Be prepared.
billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to billyk For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-01-2014), Demandred7 (12-07-2014), Frishkorn (12-01-2014), kchar (12-02-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Sounds like you should look towards a GT car instead just for comfort. A Genesis would suit you well and still sta within your price and RWD needs. I would if I was driving that far everyday.
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Drive anywhere from 6000 to 7000 kilometers a month and spend 12 to 14 hours a week in mine. I could not be happier at any point.
Defuser (12-01-2014), Demandred7 (12-07-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
Scenic Driver

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ, 02 Audi TTQ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I commute 120 miles a day, after almost 2 years still no complaints and my seats still look new.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #13
Defuser
Remember

Drives: 2015 Asphalt
100 mile a day commuter club checking in.

I actually enjoy the ride much more than when I was driving my Lexus.
Defuser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Defuser For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (12-07-2014), Tcoat (12-01-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
mrwiggles

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

How do you find the seats? I've read they kind of wear on you after a while, as for the noise thing - I'll definitely pay attention to it during my test drive, but as long as it's not any noisier than my dinosaur accord I should be all right.
I feel like this depends on how tall you are, I'm ~6'1 and they are pretty comfy if adjusted right. For me personally they are not that comfortable on extremely long drives (like 100+ miles without stopping), but YMMV
mrwiggles is offline   Reply With Quote