follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
MagicBobert

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pit Row in Santa Clara is the bees knees!

I was looking for a DIY shop to do some work, since my apartment complex won't let me do anything on site. I found Pit Row in Santa Clara and decided to take the BRZ in for its oil change and tire rotation. Also figured I would swap the trans and diff fluid for Motul Gear 300 while I was at it.

Pricing is $30/hr for a lift bay with all the tools you need to do the job, plus some consumables, too. I'd never used a lift before, but one of the shop techs Chuck showed me how to operate it. Everyone I talked to, including the owner Dennis and his wife were super friendly and helpful. Even when my noob self spilled some transmission oil and then spilled half a mop bucket of water cleaning it up.

What a cool place, especially for people who don't have somewhere to wrench on their car, which is really common up here. Access to the lift and air tools were just the icing on the cake.

I will definitely be back, probably next weekend to install the full Nameless exhaust that's waiting to go on the car. They're open 6 days a week until 9pm (closed Monday). They've got a ton of parking out front, and it would be a great place for a meet! (Hint hint!) Did I mention they're super friendly and helpful to noobs like me?

Anyway, just wanted to share because I had a ton of fun wrenching on the car today. I'd highly recommend it!

Side Note: I would also highly recommend the Motul 300 gear oil I put in the transmission. Shifting is buttery smooth now, right up until it notches firmly into gear. Also the rear differential drain plug was absolutely filthy with metal shavings and gunk. I can't believe they recommend you wait so long to change it.
MagicBobert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MagicBobert For This Useful Post:
B2FiNiTY (04-27-2014), CamryDS (04-22-2014), doggieboy09 (04-26-2014), exE36M3 (04-21-2014), Fly Guy (04-26-2014), Jolaessss (04-21-2014), Sio86 (04-28-2014), tbertran (04-21-2014), unsurety (04-22-2014), wilfredwong (04-23-2014), xdudefromheaven (04-26-2014), ZionsWrath (04-22-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Darn, you beat me to it! I was planning on writing a little review of the place also, but just didn't get the time to sit down and post. So I guess I'll just weigh in here as well...

I was very happy to find out about this place. Several years ago, there was a similar place in SF but went out of business, so I was very psyched to hear that another excited.

I had the Nameless over/front pipe combo I wanted to install so I gave it a go at home on jack stands. Now, if you are somewhat ermm.... "rotund" as I am, you would know that with the car jacked up at the highest settings on the stand, you would be lucky to get ~5"-6" of space between you and the car. After struggling with it for about 6 hrs, I gave up and shopped around for shops to install it. Found quite a few shops who would do it, and for a reasonable price, but part of me just didn't want to miss the "fun"/"stressful" part of doing it myself.

After complaining about it to one of my friends (who is constantly working on his BMW), he mentioned PitRow. Gave them a call and within minutes, was there getting set-up by Dennis (the owner) on one of the bays. All I want to say is WOW! having a lift makes it so much easier, the same job that took a better part of the day, only took 2 hrs, which came out to be ~$70

Each bay came with a tool box with a very complete set of hand tools and even air tools, torque wrenches and a light. Small consumables like gloves, WD40, PB blaster and rags were also provided as well as some specialty tools (I used a tranny stand to lift my engine to get the pipe through). There is also somebody always there to help you out if you get stuck or have a question, or even flat out take over if you're ready to tap out (for a fee ofcourse). Did I mention good music and the camaraderie you get working on your car with some friends? Not only did I get to work on the car, I had a blast doing it! I would definitely come back. I'm already kicking my self for not getting the prepaid hours (you get 1-2 hours free).

Also, after talking to the owner, he did mention that group rates are available for forum members... Here's a suggestion Norcal board members @PMok @finch1750 @MyRx @NorCalGirl what about an "install day" meet?

Last edited by BigFatFlip; 04-21-2014 at 04:38 PM.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
exE36M3 (04-21-2014), MagicBobert (04-21-2014), mkiisupra (04-28-2014), Sio86 (04-28-2014), ZionsWrath (04-22-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Darn, you beat me to it! I was planning on writing a little review of the place also, but just didn't get the time to sit down and post. So I guess I'll just weigh in here as well...

I was very happy to find out about this place. Several years ago, there was a similar place in SF but went out of business, so I was very psyched to hear that another excited.

I had the Nameless over/front pipe combo I wanted to install so I gave it a go at home on jack stands. Now, if you are somewhat ermm.... "rotund" as I am, you would know that with the car jacked up at the highest settings on the stand, you would be lucky to get ~5"-6" of space between you and the car. After struggling with it for about 6 hrs, I gave up and shopped around for shops to install it. Found quite a few shows who would do it, and for a reasonable price, but part of me just didn't want to miss the "fun"/"stressful" part of modding.

After complaining about it to one of my friends (who is constantly working on his BMW), he mentioned PitRow. Gave them a call and within minutes, was there getting set-up by Dennis (the owner) on one of the bays. All I want to say is WOW! having a lift makes it so much easier, the same job that took a better part of the day, only took 2 hrs, which came out to be ~$70

Each bay came with a tool box with a very complete set of hand tools and even air tools, torque wrenches and a light. Small consumables like gloves, WD40, PB blaster and rags were also provided as well as some specialty tools (I used a tranny stand to lift my engine to get the pipe through). There is also somebody always there to help you out if you get stuck or have a question, or even flat out take over if you're ready to tap out (for a fee ofcourse). Did I mention good music and the camaraderie you get working on your car with some friends? Not only did I get to work on the car, I had a blast doing it! I would definitely come back. I'm already kicking my self for not getting the prepaid hours (you get 1-2 hours free).

Also, after talking to the owner, he did mention that group rates are available for forum members... Here's a suggestion Norcal board members @PMok @finch1750 @MrRx @NorCalGirl what about an "install day" meet?
Definitely a possibility if people are interested. We can look in to rates and see if people are interested. Maybe they have some parts they need installed before June 8th for some reason

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (04-22-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Jolaessss

Drives: SWP FR-S
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
This place is awesome, a couple of my 86 buddies, including myself, go here quite frequently. I agree with @MagicBobert the staff is very friendly and always willing to help out.

If you haven't been to Pit Row, I HIGHLY suggest it. Its a total man cave!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Simpleviet
Right Foot Flat

Drives: Asphalt Lucille
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Definitely a possibility if people are interested. We can look in to rates and see if people are interested. Maybe they have some parts they need installed before June 8th for some reason
I see what you did there lol.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
darkonion
Habitual Troublemaker

Drives: 1997 Subaru Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Maybe I'll have to check this place out. Isn't there something like this in Fremont? I need to do an oil change this weekend.
darkonion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darkonion For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (04-22-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
MagicBobert

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
I had the Nameless over/front pipe combo I wanted to install...

I used a tranny stand to lift my engine to get the pipe through
Good to know! I have a Nameless over/front pipe combo that's going on the car this weekend and was already thinking about how I might go about lifting the engine. Thanks!
MagicBobert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MagicBobert For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #8
Pish
#teamswagoi

Drives: 2014 Raven FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Wow that's just down the street from my house in south bay ! Will try going there if I ever want to try and install something using a lift !
Pish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pish For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
That place looks pretty cool.

I've actually always wondered how well those places did, as there is a large market up here for DIYers and opening one seemed like a good idea since most of you guys are handy enough to do the work yourself. Curious what the insurance is like though...
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
That's a cool place, I wish there was one near me in NYC area. lying on your back gets old, and working on the street I can only lift one axle at a time and still feel safe.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
+1 for install day.. I have some SS lines and shift spring/ TIC steering bushing goodies that want to be installed..
Old 04-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #12
wilfredwong

Drives: 13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I always want to find some places like that.
I wonder if there's any similar shop in east bay, which will be closer to where I live.
Thanks for the review though, I will check this place out for sure.
wilfredwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #13
NoOneBetter

Drives: M3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
whoa wish I heard about this place sooner. Could have used it when I refreshed the undercarriage of my bmw. Definitely have to check it out sometime.
NoOneBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #14
Jesse1292

Drives: Black 2013 BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Agreed, this place rocks. Took my car here to get my exhaust installed and was not disappointed. They have all the tools you could possibly need and the pricing isnt so bad either.
Jesse1292 is offline   Reply With Quote