follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2021, 02:10 PM   #1
Four_wheel_drifts

Drives: Whiteout track car; lava donor
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Honda l15b7: 205 whp and 226 lb-ft of torque at its hubs, at about 17 psi

A friend proposed this swap to me as the K motors are going up in price and (according to him) less available.

On the surface, it is VERY appealing. The only initial negatives for me are the lack of a swap kit and the low 6500 RPM redline.

Has anyone seen one of these motors out of a Civic SI? I wonder how similar the transmission bolt pattern is to the K24A2?

Articles like this get me excited: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...type-r-killer/
Four_wheel_drifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 02:31 PM   #2
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four_wheel_drifts View Post
A friend proposed this swap to me as the K motors are going up in price and (according to him) less available.

On the surface, it is VERY appealing. The only initial negatives for me are the lack of a swap kit and the low 6500 RPM redline.

Has anyone seen one of these motors out of a Civic SI? I wonder how similar the transmission bolt pattern is to the K24A2?

Articles like this get me excited: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...type-r-killer/
but why if the new fa24 is dynoing ~215 and would likely be an easier swap?
wparsons (01-14-2022)
Old 12-30-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
hedtrip

Drives: 2013 toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
ppl are starting to put them in other Hondas like EK civic & fits but as far as i have seen dont think anyone has converted them to a RWD setup. I not a expert by anymeans but i dont think a K serise Trans will mount to it. But i can really see these engine becoming very popular.
hedtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
Four_wheel_drifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasaur View Post
but why if the new fa24 is dynoing ~215 and would likely be an easier swap?
I don’t think Subaru fixed the main bearing oiling problems (because they don’t believe a problem exists) under high g lateral track loads.

The k motors have proven they can handle track abuse; no news yet on the L series.

Also the Honda L are getting 300+ hp with more torque with very little bolt on mods and simple tuning.
The Following User Says Thank You to Four_wheel_drifts For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 08:06 PM   #5
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ
Your friend should be aware that the engine is the cheapest part of the motor swap. There are plenty K24A2s around for $900-1500 USD. The CRV K24 is even cheaper if you want a Vteck killer setup or FI.

No one has proof of Subaru addressing or not addressing the oiling issue yet. The aftermarket has solved it with larger oil pickups and oil pumps for the FA20.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:25 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,254 Times in 7,347 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
Your friend should be aware that the engine is the cheapest part of the motor swap. There are plenty K24A2s around for $900-1500 USD. The CRV K24 is even cheaper if you want a Vteck killer setup or FI.

No one has proof of Subaru addressing or not addressing the oiling issue yet. The aftermarket has solved it with larger oil pickups and oil pumps for the FA20.
Need to see if the 3rd main is still feeding two rods.

Quote:
I don’t think Subaru fixed the main bearing oiling problems (because they don’t believe a problem exists) under high g lateral track loads.
Which rod bearing did you spin? #3?
Old 01-01-2022, 09:02 PM   #7
Four_wheel_drifts

Which rod bearing did you spin? #3?[/QUOTE]

Don't know yet. Engine is still in the car. Need to keep it drivable (like onto and off of a car hauler under it's own power) in case it is getting shipped to the great lakes region.

I had a weak moment and thought that I would stick with the FA20. Then reread the Element Tuning threads.

For as fast as we want to go, Honda seems like to only option.

Chevy LS engines would likely also have oil starvation issues at the g's we pull.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:43 PM   #8
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Do we know how these L15 motors are for reliability and for oil starvation? The K-motors are vetted, but are the L-motors? Are we just assuming they will be equal?

The K-motors are still cheaper than the L-engines. The advantage for the K-motors are more displacement, better flow/revs, 4-port exhaust instead of a headifold, VTEC, more power potential, more support, NA or turbo potential, etc. The advantage for the L15 would be a turbo setup out of the gate, so a lower price point for a turbo setup, but the K-motor is typically the cheapest part of a swap, so this is only a small advantage. The L15 might be smaller and lighter, but I don’t know if it is a lot.

I would rather get a K24 or K20C from a CTR/Accord.
Old 01-02-2022, 05:31 PM   #9
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
It's already turbo charged...

Quote:

You do realize that it's
A) already turbocharged to make the same amount as the FA20 stock

B) They're talking bhp, not whp in that article

c) They're estimating it has a top end on a stock block of 400 bhp... fa20's with s/c's are making that much and turbos are making more...

It would be massively foolish to go through the trouble and expense of an engine swap, (without even a kit for it, so completely custom fabbed) so that you can have the same power level available to you with a stock engine. But hey, you might get a little better mileage with less displacement.

Jaden

p.s. the biggest advantage of a k-swap is the high rev. That's beneficial because the power comes higher up with less torque. Torque is the enemy of transmissions....
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:28 PM   #10
Four_wheel_drifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
You do realize that it's
A) already turbocharged to make the same amount as the FA20 stock

B) They're talking bhp, not whp in that article

c) They're estimating it has a top end on a stock block of 400 bhp... fa20's with s/c's are making that much and turbos are making more...

It would be massively foolish to go through the trouble and expense of an engine swap, (without even a kit for it, so completely custom fabbed) so that you can have the same power level available to you with a stock engine. But hey, you might get a little better mileage with less displacement.

Jaden

p.s. the biggest advantage of a k-swap is the high rev. That's beneficial because the power comes higher up with less torque. Torque is the enemy of transmissions....
a) yes
b) yes
c) This is a non-argument. Read the 55 pages of Element Tuning's thread on here. The NA FA20 can't handle the g's we're pulling; boosting it only makes it worse.

I'm reading pioneer stories online about the L being the next K.

A local car dismantler in Portland has over 30 long blocks sitting in their warehouse. The K motors need to be ordered in. AR Motorsports (local to Portland) usually buys K24A2 long blocks 2-4 at a time.

Again, I'm most likely doing the k swap. But would like to weigh both Honda options.
The Following User Says Thank You to Four_wheel_drifts For This Useful Post:
Jaden (01-02-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 11:36 AM   #11
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...ules+Final.pdf

Quote:
OEM (single turbo, or single supercharger only) forced induction vehicles under 1.6L are allowed when using completely stock turbocharger and exhaust manifolds, as equipped on that specific VIN chassis. Intercoolers and charge piping may be modified. If determined by GRIDLIFE staff to be too advantageous, boost restrictions may be placed on certain models of car on a case by case basis in future, pending data gathered in the 2021 season. No restrictions will be permitted to be imposed in the first 3 events of the 2021 season.
E85 on a stock turbo with bolt-ons is impressive, but the peak torque is misleading because it comes on early and drops off. On track, the car will be spending most of the time in the higher rpms, so there should be far less torque. It would be interesting to see if a NA K24 with bolt-ons revving to 8k+ fairs better or worse than the 1.5T with bolt-ons.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/pr...-cusco-greddy/

Case in point: peak torque is 325, but drops to 275 by 5100 rpms and 250 by 5800. Horsepower is sub 250 after 5800, so the 1.5T might have the advantage, but it might not be a huge difference, especially if GL limits boost. For the street, to have a boosted motor ready to go, these should be popular swaps.

https://www.twostepperformance.com/p...honda-civic-si
Old 01-07-2022, 01:56 PM   #12
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,195 Times in 509 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
On track, the car will be spending most of the time in the higher rpms, so there should be far less torque. It would be interesting to see if a NA K24 with bolt-ons revving to 8k+ fairs better or worse than the 1.5T with bolt-ons.
Case in point: peak torque is 325, but drops to 275 by 5100 rpms and 250 by 5800. Horsepower is sub 250 after 5800, so the 1.5T might have the advantage, but it might not be a huge difference, especially if GL limits boost. For the street, to have a boosted motor ready to go, these should be popular swaps.
Yeah, it drops off up top, but it still looks like it'll have a power table with a very slightly larger turbo. There is something really nice about being able to motor out of slower corners in 3rd on track.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:18 AM   #13
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
Yeah, it drops off up top, but it still looks like it'll have a power table with a very slightly larger turbo. There is something really nice about being able to motor out of slower corners in 3rd on track.
You'd be shifting often and early with that 6400 rpm redline and early power fall off.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:55 PM   #14
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,195 Times in 509 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
You'd be shifting often and early with that 6400 rpm redline and early power fall off.
Entirely depends on gearing and I said a slightly larger turbo to help falloff. My last track car was an 04 Miata with the 6spd, 3.91, and an EFR6258. It was a flat table from 3500 to 7000 which basically turned it into a 3-4 car at the slower tracks and a 3-4-5 car normally, super easy to drive.