follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Which jab have you had?
Pfizer 53 51.96%
Moderna 27 26.47%
Johnson & Johnson 6 5.88%
AstraZeneca 4 3.92%
Novavax 0 0%
Sputnik 1 0.98%
Convidecia 0 0%
Homebrew with a big dose of something special 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 09:04 AM   #1723
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,569 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
It's always easier to spread fear than to educate since fear is a much more primal reaction. People don't want to learn or if they do, they only want to learn what they believe is true.

I see that crap all the time in my line of work. "I wanna get stronger, but not bulk, so let's do 20-50 reps." Me: "You'll get stronger doing heavier weight." Them: "But that's bulking!"

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-16-2021), soundman98 (04-16-2021), spike021 (04-16-2021), Spuds (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 10:02 AM   #1724
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
You can wait and do research and read medical studies.... the government will tell you they're "safe and effective" and you'll go get your shot.

Two days later they'll stop giving the shot and say people had serious side effects.

The whole thing is a shit show.
Eating may be riskier if you end up with salmonella because of a lapse at a processing plant... I say "may" because I'm too lazy to look up the numbers.

Anyway, I haven't needed to trust the government here. I have a small network of experts I consult for health related things and they're all recommending this vaccine -indeed, they've all had it themselves at this point. The problematic side effects are still very low, but it is good to understand them. Thus the pause. I have no idea the outcome. Much lower than most approved medications by the way. Birth control pills have the same kind of clot risk but a good bit higher (based on current statistics, but that's likely to hold)

Body aches are amazing. It's weird being in mild pain and being excited about it. Though I think most would call this worse than mild? Not sure.
Capt Spaulding (04-16-2021), Dadhawk (04-16-2021), soundman98 (04-16-2021), spike021 (04-16-2021), Spuds (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 10:09 AM   #1725
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
You can wait and do research and read medical studies.... the government will tell you they're "safe and effective" and you'll go get your shot.

Two days later they'll stop giving the shot and say people had serious side effects.

I still don't see what the big issue is? All I keep seeing from the non-supporters are hypotheticals, authority complexes, and small issues blown out of proportion.

Edit: also general ignorance.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-16-2021), soundman98 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #1726
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I still don't see what the big issue is? All I keep seeing from the non-supporters are hypotheticals, authority complexes, and small issues blown out of proportion.

Edit: also general ignorance.

In think a lot of bad comparisons. Not taking vaccine is less risk than taking, in a vacuum... But vaccine orders of magnitude safer than the virus it protects against. Only the former comparison is used so often.
I think it's just fear. Of a lot of things, not necessarily of the vaccine. But it's been framed poorly in a way a lot of people find comforting (also via false equivalences)
I can list names of people I know who have died from the virus. I can't even name one that had an unexpected response from the vaccine.
soundman98 (04-16-2021), weederr33 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #1727
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It is interesting to me the inverse reactions to statistics. There is (was) a proportion that advocated the small risk of getting covid. ‘It’s only fatal 0.01% of the population.’ That small fraction of a percent was negligible then. A 0.000001% chance of serious clotting is an issue now?

I would like to understand the continuity between these two perspectives. Do they exist in the same population? Or is it better understood by a flow chart of “if you deny covid is real, then you’re likely to say the 0.01% is negligible. If you’re resistant to the vaccine, then more likely you’ve still followed mask and distance protocol? That sort of thinking? I don’t understand either, but at least that makes more sense to me than a populace that is that fucking bad at understanding rates.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpfarr For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-16-2021), spike021 (04-16-2021), weederr33 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 12:54 PM   #1728
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

The whole thing isn't a shit show. Like 6 people of MILLIONS had some side effects.

As said before, there are people who normally could be allergic to a medicine and not find out until they get it. This is why they ask you if you've had allergic reactions to meds before.

In this case, they know it's affected a few people so they're taking precautions to learn why so they know what to ask people in the future to prevent it.

Like come on Summerwolf, do you never take any meds? Tylenol? Ibuprofen? Pox vaccine? Tetanus?

I can't imagine you're a complete anti-vaxxer, which means you should have the common sense that medicines can occasionally cause issues for some people and typically the people administering them try to be able to find those people who would be affected and not allow them to take it.

For instance, even the flu vaccine has different variants. Like if you're allergic to eggs, they ask you and if you tell them then they'll use a different variant.

It's just one of those things.

Honestly you should be happy that there's a system in place that decides to put an entire vaccine administration on hold just because .000000857% (very rough percentage) of the people who've gotten it so far had unintended side effects.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (04-16-2021), humfrz (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 01:11 PM   #1729
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
In think a lot of bad comparisons. Not taking vaccine is less risk than taking, in a vacuum... But vaccine orders of magnitude safer than the virus it protects against. Only the former comparison is used so often.
I think it's just fear. Of a lot of things, not necessarily of the vaccine. But it's been framed poorly in a way a lot of people find comforting (also via false equivalences)
I can list names of people I know who have died from the virus. I can't even name one that had an unexpected response from the vaccine.
It's funny because the only vaccine I've ever gotten that I had any real reaction from was the Smallpox shot in the Army. My lymph nodes were swollen under my armpits for a week and that little bastard itched soooooooooo much. Anyone who's had it knows exactly what I'm talking about. Plus we were specifically instructed NOT to touch it or play with it while it was raw as we could potentially spread it.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
cjd (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 01:45 PM   #1730
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
It's always easier to spread fear than to educate since fear is a much more primal reaction. People don't want to learn or if they do, they only want to learn what they believe is true.

I see that crap all the time in my line of work. "I wanna get stronger, but not bulk, so let's do 20-50 reps." Me: "You'll get stronger doing heavier weight." Them: "But that's bulking!"
This is a big part of the problem with disinformation in general. Emotional reactions are just that RE-actions. You see it in the differential responses to people/things that are different. Our reptile brain (amygdala) sees this, is fearful, and wants to make it go away. That requires no thought at all. It is a low energy process.

To conquer that fear and accept difference or the unknown or ambiguity requires the employment of cognitive parts of the brain. You have to make multiple connections between values, information and ideas. These connections have to be evaluated, considered, and understood. That requires effort and is energy intensive. So we're less likely to do it. Therefore, our first reaction is often intolerant. The fear mongers know this. The Alex Joneses of the world know they can't get rich encouraging people to think before buying into their shit, but scare them?? They'll fill your pockets.

edit; t's among the reasons conspiracy theories are popular and gain traction so quickly. The promoters do a little of the lifting. They present an initial statement and a conclusion. In between they weave a loose, badly woven tapestry of bullshit to lead their victims from point A to point Z. If you look closely at the fabric of it, the logic of it, it's falling apart, It works because we are a lazy, internal energy conserving species. The problem for those who want to counter these bullshit artists is the time required to do it. It's easy to create the tapestry, to find and expose the flaws takes time and effort. While you're doing that, the BSers have created an entirely new work of "art" and are screaming "fake news" about those who are working to expose the BS in the first one. It's a very hard hill to climb.

Last edited by Capt Spaulding; 04-16-2021 at 03:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt Spaulding For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-16-2021), weederr33 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 03:51 PM   #1731
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
This is a big part of the problem with disinformation in general. Emotional reactions are just that RE-actions. You see it in the differential responses to people/things that are different. Our reptile brain (amygdala) sees this, is fearful, and wants to make it go away. That requires no thought at all. It is a low energy process.

To conquer that fear and accept difference or the unknown or ambiguity requires the employment of cognitive parts of the brain. You have to make multiple connections between values, information and ideas. These connections have to be evaluated, considered, and understood. That requires effort and is energy intensive. So we're less likely to do it. Therefore, our first reaction is often intolerant. The fear mongers know this. The Alex Joneses of the world know they can't get rich encouraging people to think before buying into their shit, but scare them?? They'll fill your pockets.

edit; t's among the reasons conspiracy theories are popular and gain traction so quickly. The promoters do a little of the lifting. They present an initial statement and a conclusion. In between they weave a loose, badly woven tapestry of bullshit to lead their victims from point A to point Z. If you look closely at the fabric of it, the logic of it, it's falling apart, It works because we are a lazy, internal energy conserving species. The problem for those who want to counter these bullshit artists is the time required to do it. It's easy to create the tapestry, to find and expose the flaws takes time and effort. While you're doing that, the BSers have created an entirely new work of "art" and are screaming "fake news" about those who are working to expose the BS in the first one. It's a very hard hill to climb.
Woah you're speaking in logic. While I find the psychology behind people's rationale fascinating, those that are experiencing what you describe do not seem to notice or care. There are a few examples on this very forum!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
soundman98 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 07:42 PM   #1732
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
You see it every where to greater or lesser degrees. If memory serves data from the 1980s supported by 30 years of interaction with thousands of college students suggest that given the choice between an uncomfortable truth and a soothing lie, well over half the population will choose to believe the lie - even when they know it's a lie. And once committed to it, they become intransigent. It's really hard to pry them loose, even from beliefs they know to be false.
soundman98 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 07:58 PM   #1733
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Yeah yeah crazy conspiracy theorists always talking about UFOs, the JFK assassination (which there is lots of stuff declassified now great reading), etc... I love how the biggest things they used to call tinfoil hat are now confirmed.

(Although I admit some of the stuff like flat-Earth and lizard people is a little silly haha)

Anyway you try the first mass-scale mRNA vaccine..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2021, 08:12 PM   #1734
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Yeah yeah crazy conspiracy theorists always talking about UFOs, the JFK assassination (which there is lots of stuff declassified now great reading), etc... I love how the biggest things they used to call tinfoil hat are now confirmed.

(Although I admit some of the stuff like flat-Earth and lizard people is a little silly haha)

Anyway you try the first mass-scale mRNA vaccine..

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Be that as it may, there have not been any proof that suggests not to get the vaccine though. lol so yeah, I don't see the problem getting it. And I'm 99.9999% certain I never will regret it.

edit. then again, I don't live a very paranoid or insecure life.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
p1l0t (04-17-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 08:20 PM   #1735
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
No, I think you got his intentions right. "I was just joking" is the natural progression of someone who has realized they lost the moral high ground but refuses to admit it.
So I came back and reread his comments and yeah, it was not joking. It was antagonizing for sure. But oh well.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
spike021 (04-16-2021), Spuds (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 08:33 PM   #1736
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
6/7000000 get blood clot issues with a vaccine and its administration is halted, people say “it’s a shit show”.

8 people die, several more wounded in a mass shooting and.... nada.

I realize this isn’t quite the thread for this kind of comparison but it’s just perplexing.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (04-17-2021), JD001 (04-17-2021), sato (04-17-2021), soundman98 (04-16-2021), Spuds (04-16-2021)
Closed Thread

Tags
eagle5 got sandy vag, tread harder daddy, tylerlieberman is a cuck