follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
CelicaJoe

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Confused about the warranty

For a while I was on the edge whether I wanted an frs or brz. I had finally decided on a brz, but test drove an frs simply because the dealership is less than 5 minutes away. At the end I was told they offer a lifetime powertrain warranty on it. I'm not going to be doing any mods that would void the warranty and plan on having this car for quite some time. And with the history I've had with my car, that warranty is one huge reason I'm buying new.
Anyway, I've looked everywhere and have been trying to find an answer to this for a while without going up to the subaru dealer. Is this lifetime power train warranty something they only offer for the frs, or perhaps it's something only this dealership is offering? I've got my heart set on the brz, but this might have me reconsidering...again
Sorry if this has been discussed already, I'm having trouble searching through these forums!

EDIT: It's looking like this might be just a promotional kinda thing at the dealer by me? Supposedly it's pretty common in Florida?
CelicaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelicaJoe View Post
EDIT: It's looking like this might be just a promotional kinda thing at the dealer by me? Supposedly it's pretty common in Florida?
That is correct, dealer promotion. Standard warranty in the US for the FR-S is 3yr/36,000M bumper to bumper and 5yr/60K for powertrain.

You'll want to read the dealer add-on carefully to make sure it really does what they say its doing. Wish I could have gotten that offer on mine since my last two cars both had 250,000 and 290,000 miles on them.

Info available here.

http://www.scion.com/cars/FR-S2015/warranty/

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 07-20-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Jrryjms07 (07-20-2015), Premium 615 (07-20-2015), strat61caster (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Also, read the fine print of "Lifetime" anything. Many times it's the "lifetime of the product".

In the world of electronics is pretty common for them to set a fairly low expected lifetime of the product. (Like 2 years on a power supply).
The Following User Says Thank You to Imrac For This Useful Post:
Premium 615 (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Lifetime my ass. they'll do anything to say "oh this one does not cover under warranty"
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
mandi_brz (07-24-2015), Premium 615 (07-20-2015), raven1231 (07-23-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I would not trust that, they can always find bs reason to void your warranty such you did not do their recommend premium oil change, they found sign of abusive driving (very subjective!) ...etc
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speed2th For This Useful Post:
Premium 615 (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
http://www.efgcompanies.com/products...-warranty.aspx

This is what a lot of dealerships use.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #7
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
That is correct, dealer promotion. Standard warranty in the US for the FR-S is 3yr/32,000M bumper to bumper and 5yr/60K for powertrain.
Being picky but I believe it's 3 yr/ 36,000 miles as the national average is roughly 12,000 miles/year, most of the industry is built around that kind of lifecycle.

And fully agreed, a "lifetime powertrain warranty" sounds great until you read the fine print. Don't expect anything that has a finite life to be covered; spark plugs, coil packs, clutches, water pump, belts and hoses etc. you will have to pay out of pocket to replace anything that is replaceable, and you better do it at the dealership or to the terms stipulated in the contract otherwise it could be a possible cause for future problems giving the warranter grounds to not warranty a part.

To me, I read "lifetime powertrain warranty" as "if the engine/tranny grenades itself after several years of paying a premium for dealership service and parts while you've kept the car perfectly stock, they will fix it with either a remanufactured engine/tranny or a used one"

Personally I'm not a fan. I could be wrong, some people love it, and I've got my own oddball logic.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Being picky but I believe it's 3 yr/ 36,000 miles as the national average is roughly 12,000 miles/year, most of the industry is built around that kind of lifecycle..

Correct, typo, fixed, thanks given.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Being picky but I believe it's 3 yr/ 36,000 miles as the national average is roughly 12,000 miles/year, most of the industry is built around that kind of lifecycle.

And fully agreed, a "lifetime powertrain warranty" sounds great until you read the fine print. Don't expect anything that has a finite life to be covered; spark plugs, coil packs, clutches, water pump, belts and hoses etc. you will have to pay out of pocket to replace anything that is replaceable, and you better do it at the dealership or to the terms stipulated in the contract otherwise it could be a possible cause for future problems giving the warranter grounds to not warranty a part.

To me, I read "lifetime powertrain warranty" as "if the engine/tranny grenades itself after several years of paying a premium for dealership service and parts while you've kept the car perfectly stock, they will fix it with either a remanufactured engine/tranny or a used one"

Personally I'm not a fan. I could be wrong, some people love it, and I've got my own oddball logic.
I always chuckle when a sales guy tells me that a warranty is x years long and neglects to mention the Y miles. With the miles I put on I chewed through my 10 year Mitsu warranties in a little over 3 years. Since my driving has been reduced for the last few months I may, just barely, make it to a year on the FRS.
strat61caster (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #10
CelicaJoe

Yeah I didn't expect it to cover the little stuff or anything, I just figured it might be comforting to know if I have some bad luck and need to replace an engine again I wouldn't be paying a fortune. Thanks for the input guys! A lifetime warranty might prevent me from modding anything after a few years anyway
Old 07-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #11
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
My Subaru dealer put a Lifetime Powertrain warrant on my BRZ so if you are dead set on wanting it just look around. Honestly they are usually third party warranties that require you to jump through hoops. All dealers sell them or will push you to get them during the finance process; you can always negotiate one into you're deal if you feel like trying.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:43 PM   #12
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
My Subaru dealer put a Lifetime Powertrain warrant on my BRZ so if you are dead set on wanting it just look around. Honestly they are usually third party warranties that require you to jump through hoops. All dealers sell them or will push you to get them during the finance process; you can always negotiate one into you're deal if you feel like trying.
Quick question, is there any fine print to this?

Most "lifetime" warranty that they offer here in ohio are usually have a ton of fine prints, such as getting regular maintenance done at that certain dealership (oil change, tire change, etc) plus any repairs that needed to be done. This is why I usually ignore these lifetime Powertrain since they have so many catches. Missed one $100 oil change then you'll lose your "lifetime" warranty.

To sum it up, it really depends on if you are going to get all your car maintenance done with your dealer or by yourself. If you're a car geek, and usually do your own oil change etc, then I would suggest to ignore these warranty.

My old frs had one of these lifetime warranty and I ran off when they said they wanted almost $800 for the 30k mile service. It only costed me 200 total, with better aftermarket filters. I believe toyota only wanted $500 for their 30k service. In the end, they voided my warranty.
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:04 AM   #13
CelicaJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJesus View Post
Quick question, is there any fine print to this?

Most "lifetime" warranty that they offer here in ohio are usually have a ton of fine prints, such as getting regular maintenance done at that certain dealership (oil change, tire change, etc) plus any repairs that needed to be done. This is why I usually ignore these lifetime Powertrain since they have so many catches. Missed one $100 oil change then you'll lose your "lifetime" warranty.

To sum it up, it really depends on if you are going to get all your car maintenance done with your dealer or by yourself. If you're a car geek, and usually do your own oil change etc, then I would suggest to ignore these warranty.

My old frs had one of these lifetime warranty and I ran off when they said they wanted almost $800 for the 30k mile service. It only costed me 200 total, with better aftermarket filters. I believe toyota only wanted $500 for their 30k service. In the end, they voided my warranty.
I remember them saying that part of the catch was you had to get your oil changes done there, but of course she spun it to make it sound like that was a good thing.
But it seems like I simply fell victim to the "Lifetime warranty at no cost?!! Sign me up!" group and never stopped to think it was probably too good to be true. I'd probably end up doing the same as you did in the end, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to CelicaJoe For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #14
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelicaJoe View Post
I remember them saying that part of the catch was you had to get your oil changes done there, but of course she spun it to make it sound like that was a good thing.
But it seems like I simply fell victim to the "Lifetime warranty at no cost?!! Sign me up!" group and never stopped to think it was probably too good to be true. I'd probably end up doing the same as you did in the end, too.
Trust me, be your own mechanic. It'll save you a ton with your upcoming services. Changing my tranny oil with motul 300 costed me about 50 for a 3 liter bottle. Kings toyota wanted $300 their oil the same oil that I wanted to change. Or pay 180 @ 2 hr labor with my own oil. This forum rocks, there's a bunch of diy for almost everything. If you need help pm me or any of the forum senior like @Tcoat
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackJesus For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-24-2015)