follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2018, 10:03 PM   #1
Cosa

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Noob Insurance Question

Purchasing a FRS online

Need to get insurance before I buy. I got quotes and I see you can build your own Insurance.

What are the good Deductibles and shit to go with? Like the normal.
Cosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosa View Post
Purchasing a FRS online

Need to get insurance before I buy. I got quotes and I see you can build your own Insurance.

Don't use the online tools, physically speak to local insurance agents and you'll get a way better price. It's also different for each person.....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-05-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #3
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The deductible amount is directly related your tolerance and ability to come up with money. Generaly speaking if you are not having claims every 2 years then the higher $1k deductible will save you money in the long run. As stated above get multiple quotes from an insurance agents in your area. Then do the math to see what fits you best.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:03 AM   #4
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I got 500 deductible "full coverage"
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:07 AM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,821 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
I suggest you get a friend or relative to recommend an insurance agent, then go talk with them.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosa View Post
Purchasing a FRS online

Your coverage will depend on a lot of factors. For example, I have a $500 deductible because there was almost no difference in monthly cost between 500 and $1,500. I've had zero accidents and no reported tickets and I am 30 years old.

For you that may be different. If you don't have $1,500 in savings to pay for your deductible, you may have to go with $500 but deal with a higher monthly premium.

If you're curious, here is my coverage from Progressive. I consider my coverage to be standard. I pay about $60/month.

Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability:
$100,000 each person
$300,000 each accident
$50,000 each accident
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury:
$100,000 each person
$300,000 each accident
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage:
$50,000 each accident
$200 deductible
Medical Payments:
No Coverage
Comprehensive:
$500 deductible
Collision:
$500 deductible
Rental Reimbursement:
No Coverage
Roadside Assistance:
No Coverage
Custom Parts and/or Equipment value:
(At the time of a claim, it will be the insured's responsibility to show receipts to verify the existence and value of additional parts or equipment.)
Loan/Lease Payoff:
No Coverage
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
Your coverage will depend on a lot of factors. For example, I have a $500 deductible because there was almost no difference in monthly cost between 500 and $1,500. I've had zero accidents and no reported tickets and I am 30 years old.

For you that may be different. If you don't have $1,500 in savings to pay for your deductible, you may have to go with $500 but deal with a higher monthly premium.

If you're curious, here is my coverage from Progressive. I consider my coverage to be standard. I pay about $60/month.

Bodily Injury & Property Damage Liability:
$100,000 each person
$300,000 each accident
$50,000 each accident
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury:
$100,000 each person
$300,000 each accident
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage:
$50,000 each accident
$200 deductible
Medical Payments:
No Coverage
Comprehensive:
$500 deductible
Collision:
$500 deductible
Rental Reimbursement:
No Coverage
Roadside Assistance:
No Coverage
Custom Parts and/or Equipment value:
(At the time of a claim, it will be the insured's responsibility to show receipts to verify the existence and value of additional parts or equipment.)
Loan/Lease Payoff:
No Coverage
That is some stripped out coverage!
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
mazeroni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
That is some stripped out coverage!
What do you think is stripped out about it?
Old 09-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
What do you think is stripped out about it?
It looks like the bare minimum state allowance with a 500 dollar deductible. No medical payments, rental, anything. Obviously you probably have something like GAP to cover the event of a total loss, or you're in an equity position.

I have just been hit too many times, I spend the extra 40 bucks a month and have a maxed out policy after dealing with so many different insurance issues.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
mazeroni (09-05-2018), Wally86 (06-18-2021)
Old 09-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
mazeroni

Quote:
It looks like the bare minimum state allowance with a 500 dollar deductible. No medical payments, rental, anything. Obviously you probably have something like GAP to cover the event of a total loss, or you're in an equity position.

I have just been hit too many times, I spend the extra 40 bucks a month and have a maxed out policy after dealing with so many different insurance issues.
Ah. I gotcha. I've never had issues with accidents so I don't worry too much about it. I've been driving for almost 14 years, so maxing out the policy and adding to the monthly premium would have added up by now.

The only thing I might feel is a little too low is the 100/300 considering some of the pricey cars out there.

As for everything else, I have medical coverage through work, and what it would cost for the shit medical from the auto insurance wasn't worth it. I can pay for a rental out of pocket. I still owe about $7K on the car but its worth around $10K. If the car was totaled today, i'd just go get a lightly used 86 and pay two loans until the insurance worked things out.

Thankfully, I'm in a pretty comfortable financial position when compared to a lot of people my age.
The Following User Says Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #11
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:

AAA can replace roadside assistance. Some people have other cars they can drive instead of paying for rental coverage. GAP can be purchased through financing when buying the car.

And those limits are much higher then any state minimum (AFAIK, it's definitely more then the CA minimums)

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (06-18-2021)
Old 09-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #12
mazeroni

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
AAA can replace roadside assistance. Some people have other cars they can drive instead of paying for rental coverage. GAP can be purchased through financing when buying the car.

And those limits are much higher then any state minimum (AFAIK, it's definitely more then the CA minimums)
You know, I have no idea if I have GAP insurance. I financed through the dealer and I don't remember that conversation or seeing it on the paperwork... I don't think it is something I would have opted for anyway as I'm was never worried about not making payments or the loss of value for whatever reason.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #13
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
You know, I have no idea if I have GAP insurance. I financed through the dealer and I don't remember that conversation or seeing it on the paperwork... I don't think it is something I would have opted for anyway as I'm was never worried about not making payments or the loss of value for whatever reason.
So you're in an equity position. Good for you! Unfortunately a ton of motorists aren't and get caught out when something happens and insurance doesn't cover everything. I have seen it happen, and am glad it's never happened to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post

True, Aaa was more expensive then using roadside through insurance (in my instance) so that negates the need for Aaa.
I have multiple cars....rental coverage is still nice to have to keep my vehicle plans at least somewhat static in the event something happens. Of course GAP is purchased when buying the car..... looks upon a cursory Google that it's not the state minimums for Tennessee.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #14
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
So you're in an equity position. Good for you! Unfortunately a ton of motorists aren't and get caught out when something happens and insurance doesn't cover everything. I have seen it happen, and am glad it's never happened to me!

True, Aaa was more expensive then using roadside through insurance (in my instance) so that negates the need for Aaa.
I have multiple cars....rental coverage is still nice to have to keep my vehicle plans at least somewhat static in the event something happens. Of course GAP is purchased when buying the car..... looks upon a cursory Google that it's not the state minimums for Tennessee.
I have AAA for multiple family members that don't have the same insurance which gives a discount. State Farm also only tows to the nearest repair center, not wherever I choose within my towing range like AAA roadside will. And only thing I find on Google for TN is 25/50/15 minimums, which is lower then the 100/300/50 he posted.

My only point is that circumstances are different for everyone as we have shown. And OP should get a recommendations from friends/family and talk to an agent in person to get what is right for them.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote