follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2024, 09:47 AM   #1
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What style and color are you using for numbers?

Our local region recently published the schedule for the upcoming autocross season and this got me thinking about anything I'll need. I'm in pretty good shape for everything but my numbers.

My current white, magnetic, numbers are the only ones I've ever owned and were a quick purchase when I got tired of using tape years ago. They're cracked from use in the cold and falling apart. Time for something new.

I'm looking at options running from a single rectangular panel, numbers with an outline in various combinations, or simple numbers in a choice of colors. Besides a touch of vanity and go with something with a touch of style, I still want the numbers to be highly visible on my WRB car for course workers. I've worked the course quite a bit and hated cars with low visibility numbers.

So...what are you all using? Thought this would be a interesting conversation for the cold gray days before the season starts up again.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:26 PM   #2
AustinTX
Pawn in game of life

Drives: 19 STX BRZzz
I recommend to follow the SCCA marking guidelines. Many of the panel vendors have no idea what's legal, so make sure to point them to the rules.
Excerpt of the rules:
D. Numbers and class letters should be positioned next to each other. All letters and numbers must be on body panels, not on windows. All numbers and class letters must use the same typeface and the same color, and this color must provide adequate contrast to the background color (see pic).
E. Numbers must be a minimum of 8” (20.5 cm) high with a 1¼” (3.25 cm) stroke. Class letters must be a minimum of 4” (10.25 cm) high with a ¾” (2 cm) stroke. In all cases, the height of the class letters must be between 25% and 75% of the height of the numbers. Stroke width must be at least 10% of the height (see pic)
Old 01-31-2024, 01:57 PM   #3
lonborghini

Drives: '15 red FR-S SSC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You can use a magnetic sign kit for white panels and eight inch number stencils from any office supply store. Stencil numbers on adhesive backed vinyl for your numbers and apply to white panels.

Last edited by lonborghini; 01-31-2024 at 09:36 PM.
lonborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 09:39 PM   #4
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
https://www.trackdecals.com/collections/numbers-letters
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:19 AM   #5
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I bought a set from autocrossdigits for the ‘21 or ‘22 season, very happy with them, I still use the bubble wrap envelope they shipped in to store them flat. With small businesses like these you can usually get something custom with an email or phone call.

I like having separate numbers because for autox being able to share a car and quickly flip numbers around is half the fun. I also autox with 3-6 different clubs in a given year so number flexibility is very useful.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 09:00 AM   #6
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Thanks for the links to some of the other vendors I'll have to look them up. I typically shop locally from SPS ( https://soloperformance.com/ ) since they are local, sponsors of our SCCA chapter, and the owners are good folks.

Fully aware of the size regulations which drives me to individual Numbers/letters, SPS will do the panels or meatballs exactly to spec, but the ordering is a bit more difficult.

I like the idea of a panel due to the ease of use since I don't share my car. But as someone has already mentioned, having the flexibility to change numbers if needed goes right out the window if someone grabs your number before your register for an event. I've never had that problem, but you never know...

As was pointed out in the comments already, contrast is the other biggie. With a WRB car, This isn't easy like black or white. I'm pretty much limited to white, yellow, neon green, or silver.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:22 AM   #7
AustinTX
Pawn in game of life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
As was pointed out in the comments already, contrast is the other biggie. With a WRB car, This isn't easy like black or white. I'm pretty much limited to white, yellow, neon green, or silver.
Your options are more open if you commit to a contrasting black border.
strat61caster (02-07-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 04:30 PM   #8
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
Your options are more open if you commit to a contrasting black border.
Does the black border really help on a darkish car? I was thinking along the same lines, but without the ability to test it I wasn't sure.

I really shouldn't worry about aesthetics and just get something basic, but it would be nice to have something a little different that looks good.

If nothing else, looking at all the options have been an interesting diversion.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:20 AM   #9
AustinTX
Pawn in game of life

The black border makes a huge difference on many cars. Diminishing returns as they get darker, but the sharp contrast is notable on pretty much any color car. If the numbers are on a panel, the car color becomes pretty much unimportant.
Desertnate (02-05-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 02:08 PM   #10
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I've been using i-Zoom Graphics (www.izoomgraphics.com) for several years now. I get "reusable vinyl" and it's great, totally reusable multiple times (at least 8 events with some care). The "Autocross Numbers" option gets you numbers and class letters. Reasonable $$, decent font and color options. Two thumbs-up:
Attached Images

ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (02-04-2024), Desertnate (02-05-2024), NoHaveMSG (02-04-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 09:47 PM   #11
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,324 Times in 7,382 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I've been using i-Zoom Graphics (www.izoomgraphics.com) for several years now. I get "reusable vinyl" and it's great, totally reusable multiple times (at least 8 events with some care). The "Autocross Numbers" option gets you numbers and class letters. Reasonable $$, decent font and color options. Two thumbs-up:
I’ll have to try those. I was using the magnetic ones but they never stay on without taping the leading edge.
ZDan (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 09:58 AM   #12
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

I like the magnetic as well. I've never had them fly off, but I've never used them at track speed either and the car only wears them at the events.

I've used mine across 4 years of events and they've held up pretty good. The only problem is they get pretty stiff in the cold which led to cracks when trying to get them off the car. I'll probably stick to magnetic because they are so easy to work with.

Last edited by Desertnate; 02-05-2024 at 10:13 AM.