follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
ZZ-FRS

Drives: FR-S or BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Road & Track Scion FR-S review posted.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...013-scion-fr-s

Name:  2013-scion-fr-s.jpg
Views: 3220
Size:  51.1 KB

2013 Scion FR-S - First Drive

It may be a Subaru at heart, but this rear-drive Toyota product has its own personality.

By Patrick Hong
December 9, 2011

It is no secret that the upcoming 2013 Scion FR-S (known as the Toyota 86 in Japan) is nearly identical to the 2013 Subaru BRZ. In fact, both automakers are forthcoming about this partnership. Toyota led the product planning and styling, whereas Subaru led the engineering development and manufacturing. Although strong brand differentiation may seem like a high priority in today’s business climate, it is quite surprising how similar the BRZ and Scion turned out, both inside and out.

Powering the Scion is a Subaru-developed direct-injected 2.0-liter flat-4 with 200 bhp and 151 lb.-ft. of torque. Two 6-speed transmissions are available: a manual or an automatic. The rear-drive FR-S has MacPherson struts in front, a double-wishbone rear, and a Torsen limited-slip differential.

Low Center of Gravity

The Scion’s chief engineer, Testuya Tada, says the FR-S will rekindle a love affair for the back-to-basics sports car—a lightweight rear-driver with a low center of gravity. Initially there was some tension between the companies about whether the car should be all-wheel drive or rear-drive (can you guess which was rooting for which?). In fact, development even stopped at one point because the two could not come to a resolution. Then a rear-drive prototype was built, which demonstrated the advantages of less overall weight and the ability to package the powertrain tighter and lower to the ground. The result is a center-of-gravity height of 18.1 inches for the FR-S, which is lower than that of the Porsche Cayman and Nissan GT-R, and less than an inch higher than that of exotics such as the Lexus LFA, Porsche 911 GT3 and Ferrari 360.

On-Track Prowess

At a track about an hour’s drive southeast of Tokyo, Toyota turned us loose on the Sodegaura Forest Raceway in the Chiba Prefecture. In the cold and slightly damp morning hours, several FR-S prototypes were available to sample, left- and right-hand-drive models with manual and automatic transmissions. Fitted with Michelin Primacy HP 245/45R-17 tires, the Scion FR-S tackled the short but interesting track with confidence. Although water was still running across the track in places from rain the day before, the car speeds through the slick spots with only a slight rear-end wiggle, never losing its composure. The steering feels solid, with good sensitivity at turn-in. Tracking through the corner, the FR-S feels adequately powerful as it builds forward momentum. The short-throw gearbox is precise, though a bit notchy between 2nd and 3rd gear.

For those who think the 6-speed automatic transmission is a wrong fit for this car, you might think twice after spending some time with the paddle shifters in sport mode. The auto gearbox’s origin is the sporty Lexus IS-F’s 8-speed paddle-shift transmission, and the FR-S takes full advantage of the quick shift times that make the car feel alive on the track.

Even when the damp track turned to a wet track with heavy rain in the afternoon, the Scion still kept its cool. With sport mode on, the stability control keeps you in check but still lets the car’s tail hang out a bit for some controlled oversteer fun. If you’d like to be more brave, depress the stability control button for full 3 seconds. This shuts the traction control completely off. Surprisingly, the FR-S is still easy to drive, with excellent balance and progressive oversteer that gives you plenty of time to react before any potential embarrassing moments.

Different personality?

A quick look at the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ won’t reveal any big styling differences, apart from a few details on the front lower cap and fender. And inside, everything remains similar as well. Chief engineer Tada noted that there is nothing mechanically different between the two cars except the FR-S has softer springs and more aggressive damping. That is done to allow the Toyota version to feel more rear-biased in its handling and have reduced understeer characteristics.

Another way Scion intends to set the FR-S apart from its near-identical Subaru sibling is to allow its buyers to personalize the car as much as possible. Besides various trim options, the car will be available with chassis tweaks—such as larger anti-roll bars—that will improve the car’s handling.

Pricing has not been set, but we suspect the 2013 Scion FR-S will be less than the Subaru BRZ, which is estimated at $25,000. Do we sense some ribling rivalry already?
Attached Images

ZZ-FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
JDLM

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i
What is this like "Every website release reviews" lol

AWE90/ZSP/ZPP/2XA/NAV/HID/DPE////M/EAS/Disma
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Hang on JDLM this one hasn't been posted it's not on that list. Thanks for Posting ZZ Im starting to see the trend here, I think it has to do with some sort of information prevention thing. Every review has said 25K. This isn't good. Brz prices might be alot higher... if FRS is 25K and yeah Scion is killing it self it is is 25 like we have stated before.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
JDLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Hang on JDLM this one hasn't been posted it's not on that list. Thanks for Posting ZZ Im starting to see the trend here, I think it has to do with some sort of information prevention thing. Every review has said 25K. This isn't good.

I am wondering if there was an "embargo" on it.....

Old 12-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
hahaha Thanks, you know that word was stuck at the tip of my tonged for like so long I wanted to post that, I think it is the Embargo that makes it 25K but if it is 25K it will sell still but, lots of us unfortunately like myself wont be able to afford it ;/ looks like I'll get an s2k if this is true. 3 reviewer that are creditable have said 25k hmmmm....

Old 12-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Hachiroku
Administrator

Drives: Boxster 986
Thanked 1,977 Times in 344 Posts
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Quote:
hahaha Thanks, you know that word was stuck at the tip of my tonged for like so long I wanted to post that, I think it is the Embargo that makes it 25K but if it is 25K it will sell still but, lots of us unfortunately like myself wont be able to afford it ;/ looks like I'll get an s2k if this is true. 3 reviewer that are creditable have said 25k hmmmm....
He means that there's been so many FR-S reviews released at the same time so there must have been an embargo against posting the reviews until yesterday/today.
Hachiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
JDLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiroku View Post
He means that there's been so many FR-S reviews released at the same time so there must have been an embargo against posting the reviews until yesterday/today.

Bingo!

It's like the way w/ movies the reviewers see them way before the general public but can't say anything.

The price isn't terrible (imo) but I am also 30 years old

Old 12-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Ah I see I'm sorry,I'm 25 and well 25K was the maximum I set to buy this car anything over and it's starting to make what my ideal monthly payments go off the chart. I know alot of people wouldn't be able to afford 25K either, especially first time buyers. That and for 10 K less you can buy something that's already proven like an s2k. But Im still hopeful, and it's nice to hear everyone is giving this car a great review.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
Scotty2H
Track Junkie

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000
The article doesn't estimate the FR-S at $25,000. It estimates the BRZ at $25,000 and notes the FR-S is expected to be priced lower.
Scotty2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
JDLM

Quote:
Ah I see I'm sorry,I'm 25 and well 25K was the maximum I set to buy this car anything over and it's starting to make what my ideal monthly payments go off the chart. I know alot of people wouldn't be able to afford 25K either, especially first time buyers. That and for 10 K less you can buy something that's already proven like an s2k. But Im still hopeful, and it's nice to hear everyone is giving this car a great review.

I hear ya

My "gameplan" do the Subaru VIP program, (sell my current DD for 2-3 grand) get a "base" model I have connections in the UK order some of the FT86 parts and be done

Old 12-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #11
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
I found this review sort of disappointing. Not that it was bad, it was just bland.

Maybe I should stop reading reviews lol
Old 12-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #12
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
They're all beginning to sound the same lol Which isn't a bad thing, but either they don't introduce any new detail or its the same information over and over again (with almost the same stock photos... lol)
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:44 AM   #13
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
They do menton that various trim options will be available...this is new info...So we might be able to make something like a 86 but better, since it looks like we can order different antiroll bars....
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #14
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
I am seriously having some doubts on whether these reviews are really that accurate. They all seem to be chiming about the same pros and are basically saying the same things over and over again. Now it could be just that those pros really made a huge impact on all the reviewers, but I fear it might be like how they review unreleased games. The most recent incident that comes to mind is the one in October where EA Norway allegedly withheld copies of the games from reviewers they thought would give them a bad mark. Now I'm bot saying that EA or Toyota is doing things like this, there's no concrete proof, but it makes me take these reviews with a grain of salt.
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote