follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2014, 12:28 AM   #29
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoniyama View Post
In another words, the real production run at the Gunma Main Plant only commences in May 2015.
Haven't they already made over a hundred thousand cars there? That sure seems like a real production run to me...
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisl For This Useful Post:
JSanders (04-24-2014), strat61caster (04-17-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 01:12 AM   #30
Fortis

Drives: 2014 FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I was a member of CLUBRSX for several years and GOLFMKV for a few years after that. I can honestly say I've never seen so many people gripe and complain about their own cars. This forum is riddled with threads on what changes should be made to the car, what ppl don't like about the car, this car isn't fast enough, etc, etc... I just don't get it... The twins are amazing. Striking good looks, excellent handling, low center of gravity, near 50/50 weight distribution, surprisingly compliant ride, lightweight, 200 HP NA boxer engine, stock shift light, rev matching, RWD, LSD, super comfy sport seats AND "room" for 4 passengers. At ~$25K, what more do you expect??? I'm glad to see that there are ppl in this thread that feel the same as I. I think if this car was released in 2005-2007, people would feel differently. As others have mentioned, this horsepower war the last few years that auto makers are having is just killing it for cars like the twins. Shame
Fortis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Fortis For This Useful Post:
amram (05-19-2014), AVodka14 (05-11-2014), brzr (04-22-2014), chas3wba0 (04-17-2014), Fish Eagle (04-17-2014), FRSupra (04-17-2014), jjaisli (04-17-2014), Sarlacc (05-12-2014), Snowball (07-14-2014), sprintertrueno86 (04-17-2014), strat61caster (04-17-2014), Superhatch (04-24-2014), tinma (05-17-2014), unsurety (05-13-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 01:34 AM   #31
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortis View Post
I was a member of CLUBRSX for several years and GOLFMKV for a few years after that. I can honestly say I've never seen so many people gripe and complain about their own cars. This forum is riddled with threads on what changes should be made to the car, what ppl don't like about the car, this car isn't fast enough, etc, etc... I just don't get it... The twins are amazing. Striking good looks, excellent handling, low center of gravity, near 50/50 weight distribution, surprisingly compliant ride, lightweight, 200 HP NA boxer engine, stock shift light, rev matching, RWD, LSD, super comfy sport seats AND "room" for 4 passengers. At ~$25K, what more do you expect??? I'm glad to see that there are ppl in this thread that feel the same as I. I think if this car was released in 2005-2007, people would feel differently. As others have mentioned, this horsepower war the last few years that auto makers are having is just killing it for cars like the twins. Shame
Yep, I agree 100%
Except I went FI, but I loved my car when it was NA too.

I'd like to add to your list that it's an amazing track day car too.
I've owned 40+ cars over the years, many of them sporty high performance cars, and none have put as big a smile on my face as my 86.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:16 AM   #32

Drives: UM86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponwh View Post
The problem with the world is that, people always want more.
Interesting narrow minded comment - surprised you receive that many 'thanks'. How is that a problem with the world to want more? We wouldn't be where we are at today if we didn't want more. Hence the birth (re-birth) of the 86. So in essence you make absolutely no sense when you call it a "problem". The real problem is when people claim that it is a problem to want more, when indeed it is not and never will be.

BOOM.
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1086 For This Useful Post:
clayrush (05-12-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 02:25 AM   #33
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
You must not have been a member for very long

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:20 AM   #34
Fortis

Drives: 2014 FR-S AT Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznKirby View Post
You must not have been a member for very long
2001-2007. Long enough.
Fortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #35
jjaisli

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
WOAH.

Who dissed the First Gen Ford Taurus?

The SHO model had a manual transmission by Mazda and one of the greatest V6's ever made, Yamaha made it!
To be fair, in one sentence you've mentioned the ONLY two things that made this car stand out: it's Yamaha developed engine and the fact that it had a manual transmission. Back in the late 80s, having a quick revving, 24V DOHC power plant and manual transmission in a domestic sedan made this car special. It's build quality, F/R balance, dull steering feel, mediocre suspension, average brakes, and hopeless torque steer made it anything but.
jjaisli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjaisli For This Useful Post:
AVodka14 (05-11-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #36
Ponwh

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1086 View Post
Interesting narrow minded comment - surprised you receive that many 'thanks'. How is that a problem with the world to want more? We wouldn't be where we are at today if we didn't want more. Hence the birth (re-birth) of the 86. So in essence you make absolutely no sense when you call it a "problem". The real problem is when people claim that it is a problem to want more, when indeed it is not and never will be.

BOOM.
See, what you're referring to is innovation.
What im referring to is laziness.

Many people want this engine to be turboed, supercharged, etc, out from the factory. I believe the designer of this car (I believe his name is Tada) just wanted it to be a perfectly balanced platform (stock) and let us modify it the way we want. This way it gives every owner a sense of unique-ness while at the same time being a driver's car that is purchaseable like the 80s-90s era.

boom.

Last edited by Ponwh; 04-17-2014 at 07:38 AM. Reason: added a boom
Ponwh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ponwh For This Useful Post:
Snowball (07-14-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #37
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
The original post was very well written, perhaps the first on this subject that accurately captures the essence of this car which is a great driver's car straight from the factory. Also glad to see that the typical civil war didn't start between the "modders" and the "stockers". IMHO this car offers a lot for either as it retains it's basic character even when modified to reach a higher performance envelope.

Refreshing read without the typical torque dip bashing or dissing the driving skills of anyone wanting to modify the car from stock.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deep Six For This Useful Post:
FRSupra (04-17-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #38
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaisli View Post
To be fair, in one sentence you've mentioned the ONLY two things that made this car stand out: it's Yamaha developed engine and the fact that it had a manual transmission. Back in the late 80s, having a quick revving, 24V DOHC power plant and manual transmission in a domestic sedan made this car special. It's build quality, F/R balance, dull steering feel, mediocre suspension, average brakes, and hopeless torque steer made it anything but.
Still a great little car, sure it was no M3, there's a reason why they're so cheap. They're fun and good little hooligan machines. Easy to work on as well. That Mazda transmission was smooth as well, that's a stand out point. When Mazda made a transmission for you, it was fucking good.

People could say the same thing about the FRS.

Slow, horrible paint, bad quality, horrible rear suspension. List goes on.

You're really going to complain about a $2000 car?

Last edited by dem00n; 04-17-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: trannys
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #39
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I honestly think most enthusiasts these days just want torque for A-to-B driving and a nice interior. They might be drawn to the Twins for their looks and even enjoy the subjective things that make it great (feedback, balance, etc.), but inevitably, they will want torque and a nice interior. And that's because the majority of driving is A-to-B, where torque and a nice interior go a long way.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Superhatch (04-24-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #40
jjaisli

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post

You're really going to complain about a $2000 car?
No. But let's be fair, within the context of your first post, you're lumping a low volume, special edition of the Taurus along with every other Taurus made. Aside from the engine, which I agree was impressive (for the day) and a slightly stiffer suspension, it was still just a Taurus. Besides, it wasn't $2000 when it was sold, new. Adjusted for inflation it was just under $40K in 2014 dollars when it was new. And it had one glaring flaw (aside from being a Taurus). It was FWD. Although that's a subjective point.
jjaisli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #41

Drives: UM86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponwh View Post
See, what you're referring to is innovation.
What im referring to is laziness.

Many people want this engine to be turboed, supercharged, etc, out from the factory. I believe the designer of this car (I believe his name is Tada) just wanted it to be a perfectly balanced platform (stock) and let us modify it the way we want. This way it gives every owner a sense of unique-ness while at the same time being a driver's car that is purchaseable like the 80s-90s era.

boom.
Haha well thank you for elaborating sir. Your statement was a bit general at first, but now I understand the context. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Boomed indeed! lol
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1086 For This Useful Post:
Ponwh (04-17-2014), Snowball (07-14-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #42
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
The problem is that there's too much focus on horsepower these days, thanks to the steady decrease of driving "purists" out there and the resulting increase in huge, overpowered cars on the market that all but drive themselves provided the driver knows how to mash on the gas pedal on a more-or-less straight runway.

Thus, niche cars like the 86 will always face complaints about how its power numbers "don't measure up to modern cars". It's tragic, really.
Well spoken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
We've been with them a looong time. My wife's first car was a brand new '68 Corona coupe that her father got her over her objections when she was in college (she wanted a Cutlass). One of her father's closest friends owned a body shop in West Philly and saw a future in Toyota, so he became the first dealer in the area. I bought my FR-S from the same dealership, now operated by his son, daughter and grandkids.

Here's where you need a few more miles on your own odometer to appreciate the context. It's not a '90s feel - my first thought on getting in my FR-S was how much it feels like my 356 Porsches (I've had 6). The firm but comfortable seats, the back-from-the-wheel position with arms comfortably out, the taught suspension, quick steering and firm responsive brakes are all reminiscent of the best sports cars of the '50s and early '60s. Alfa Giulia Sprint 1600s felt like this too.

And just like those cars, ours are not for everybody. Many (most?) people couldn't understand why anyone would pay the asking price for a 60 hp Porsche when you could get a 200+ hp American car for less. But if you could appreciate the balance, the connection between the driver and the road, the simple and direct feel of it as an extension of your own senses and muscles, you didn't have to ask. We struggling students bought them used (in some cases, like my blue-and-rust '57 Normal coupe, very used) - and they were wonderful.

The FR-S / BRZ gives me the same feeling - it's old, yet it's ageless.
Thank you for sharing.
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSupra For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (04-17-2014)