follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2021, 08:38 AM   #71
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
AFAIK Lexus brand has never collaborated on a vehicle and I'd bet this is a pipe dream.
Look what Cadillac did to their name after they collaborated with Chevy to build the Cimmaron. There's just too much equity in that name, I couldn't see them making that mistake. The vehicle would really need to be engineered ground up.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:43 AM   #72
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
AFAIK Lexus brand has never collaborated on a vehicle and I'd bet this is a pipe dream.
Look what Cadillac did to their name after they collaborated with Chevy to build the Cimmaron. There's just too much equity in that name, I couldn't see them making that mistake. The vehicle would really need to be engineered ground up.

I agree there, but I think this rumor may have picked up speed because it ties into the rumor that the 86 could get electrified in ~2025.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #73
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
I agree there, but I think this rumor may have picked up speed because it ties into the rumor that the 86 could get electrified in ~2025.
That's the only possible semblance of truth there, probably.

I think most luxury brand buyers prefer the cheapest house on an expensive street over the opposite. Starting with a car that is gen 2 of what was formerly Scion, no way, it doesn't hold any class distinction which is part of the Lexus experience.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #74
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Lexus UC? Any merit to this Lexus twins (triplets?) rumor?

Quote:
That's the only possible semblance of truth there, probably.

I think most luxury brand buyers prefer the cheapest house on an expensive street over the opposite. Starting with a car that is gen 2 of what was formerly Scion, no way, it doesn't hold any class distinction which is part of the Lexus experience.

It works decently well with the Tahoe/Escalade, but there are examples of it not working either (Cadillac XLR).

I think there’s a way to make a proper Lexus out of this platform, but the effort would be more than it’s worth I think. People are thinking SAAB 9-2X types of changes, which probably won’t do for Lexus.

Last edited by Yoshoobaroo; 06-28-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:39 AM   #75
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
It works decently well with the Tahoe/Escalade, but there are examples of it now working either (Cadillac XLR).

I think there’s a way to make a proper Lexus out of this platform, but the effort would be more than it’s worth I think. People are thinking SAAB 9-2X types of changes, which probably won’t do for Lexus.
Avalon/Lexus ES
Land Cruiser Prado/GX
Land Cruiser/LX

are 3 other examples

But remember these brands fall under the same umbrella.
Well Subaru kind of does but its always been its own thing so its not really Toyota through and through.

I guess they could do like Fiat 124 Spyder and Mazda MX5 (different styling and their own engines). But those are both mainstream brands. The Afordmentioned Saab 9-2X...that transformation was not nearly enough to turn the Impreza into a luxury or even near luxury car.

Thats why i keep thinking Toyota IQ to Aston Martin Cygnet....maybe not to that extent since AM is like a tier higher than Lexus but would the resulting pricetag even be worth it? I think you're getting into Supra or even RC territory with the changes required to create a Lexus BRZ/86.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-28-2021), Yoshoobaroo (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 10:35 AM   #76
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Lexus UC? Any merit to this Lexus twins (triplets?) rumor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Avalon/Lexus ES
Land Cruiser Prado/GX
Land Cruiser/LX

are 3 other examples

But remember these brands fall under the same umbrella.
Well Subaru kind of does but its always been its own thing so its not really Toyota through and through.

I guess they could do like Fiat 124 Spyder and Mazda MX5 (different styling and their own engines). But those are both mainstream brands. The Afordmentioned Saab 9-2X...that transformation was not nearly enough to turn the Impreza into a luxury or even near luxury car.

Thats why i keep thinking Toyota IQ to Aston Martin Cygnet....maybe not to that extent since AM is like a tier higher than Lexus but would the resulting pricetag even be worth it? I think you're getting into Supra or even RC territory with the changes required to create a Lexus BRZ/86.

Agreed, it would need to stay cheaper than a 4cyl Supra, otherwise making a Lexus Supra makes way more sense.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:38 AM   #77
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
The Lexus UX begs to differ. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota...hitecture#GA-C

mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
Spankopotomous (06-28-2021), wbradley (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #78
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
Not really a collaboration since Lexus is Toyota everywhere in the world EXCEPT US and Canada. All Lexus vehicles are built in Toyota plants. I don't think Cadillac built any cars alongside Chevrolet before the Cimmaron turd. That car single handedly damaged Cadillac's credibility in the luxury market. Their market share crumbled around that time, shortly thereafter.

Mind you, the only Lexus made outside Japan (Made in Woodstock ON)) was the RX350, so I thought. The Toyota C-HR is made in a long established plant in Turkey, so is the UX as well? (I can Google the answer). I find the UX not very attractive in the rear quarter but it might just be that is has an even stupider back seat than a Mitsubishi RVR or the old Nissan Rogue.
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #79
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Not really a collaboration since Lexus is Toyota everywhere in the world EXCEPT US and Canada. All Lexus vehicles are built in Toyota plants. I don't think Cadillac built any cars alongside Chevrolet before the Cimmaron turd. That car single handedly took away a lot of Cadillac's credibility in the luxury market. Their market share crumbled around that time, thereafter.
Eh, I think we are putting too much value on the idea of what makes a "credible" vehicle within any brand. Lexus buyers aren't thinking about the basis of their car, nor do I think care. I'd add to that, even shitty cars made today are still good. You are right that a 90s (what it 90s?) Chevy being rebadged a Cadillac was a bad idea because 70s-2010 American cars sucked.

Although nobody has driven GEN-II, it sure sounds like it is a more refined vehicle overall. If you tart it up with nicer materials and and a softer suspension, I don't think a younger (probably female) buyer will care that it is based on a an 86/BRZ. It has everything else, though. Keyless, push start, backup camera, heated seats, 7 airbags, 8 speakers, etc. All you need.

But I fully admit I could be wrong. I don't have the market research. Just my assumption.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:09 AM   #80
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
I think that in order for a brand like Lexus to maintain their consistency with their better performing cars, in other words excluding the ES and UX, they need their own body structure. The Subaru built car is lightweight and probably does not meet Lexus standards for fit and finish. Lexus really shouldn't build a light car with non exotic materials IMO unless it has some distinction within its class.

I used to always lease Acura vehicles, 4 in a row actually. But I went from an '05 Acura TSX to an '08 Honda Accord EXR V6. Let me tell you, the Acura which is based on the JDM Honda Accord has a superior structure, body, lower NVH, you name it. Yet both are Honda Accord but in Japan it is a classier model, at least then, than it was in North America and they put more effort into making it better. I don't think a BRZ door will ever have the feel of a Lexus but I could be wrong.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #81
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i don't really believe that there could be a lexus 86 for under $45k, and that brings a whole other set of questions of why to do it...
Overdrive (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 05:59 PM   #82
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Agreed, especially when there are Supras for right around that money on the same lot. No sense in competing with yourself for sales.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #83
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
4 Cyl Supra, no need for fancy twin.

Maybe there should be a Lexus version of Supra? It could be like the a Soarer /LC400, but sportier.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #84
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Doubtful that they'd go that route either. Why spend another $20k on essentially the same car with nicer stuff in it and more weight to it? And how are you going to talk the boys in Germany into building it for you on top of the ones they're already building for you, and to the level of fit and finish people expect for a Lexus over a Toyota?