follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2024, 10:34 PM   #43
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just chiming in, although I joined a bit later. I was (and still am) I part of NASIOC for years, RS25, etc for all you Subaru people. Man, the forums were "lit" back in the day as you kids would call it. I joined NASIOC back in 2006.

After 2015 or so, things really started shifting online. Forums are an old breed. It's great how you can come on here search, find the answers to your questions. NASIOC is a damn bible for the WRX/STI crowd.

Today though, the internet's shifted towards more just consumable content and less of a catalogue of information. Everything is centralized. You want "forums", you go to Reddit. Yet it's all surface level crap. It's not in depth DIYs, pictures, part numbers, real material. It's here's a picture of my car, give me upvotes type posts. Plus, anything on top is there for a few days and then gets buried.

I miss when forums were active in general. It was THE place to learn and exchange information. It's how we built cars back in the 2000's and early 2010's.
22R (04-21-2024), bcj (04-16-2024), Dadhawk (04-16-2024), Dirty Harry (04-18-2024), Ernest72 (04-20-2024), new2subaru (04-17-2024), Ohio Enthusiast (04-16-2024), Racecomp Engineering (04-19-2024), Spuds (04-17-2024), Stephen W. (04-17-2024), SuperTom (04-17-2024), T-Steve (04-16-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 12:05 PM   #44
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,451 Times in 967 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yep I agree! The old Toronto Subaru Club forum was a great resource. It's gone and in its place they have a lame ass Facebook page. Not the same at all.
I joined NASIOC about the same time as you because I'd just bought my 2006 STi. Speaking of which, I passed a WRB GD STi today with a big For Sale sign on it. I started talking about following the guy to get more info but the wife was not impressed. (I just got my Caterham home yesterday so a little time must pass before I go after another car.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
bcj (04-18-2024), Dirty Harry (04-18-2024), Spuds (04-17-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 08:51 PM   #45
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Still poke around on here every now and then, it’s a great forum still and has plenty of info/content when you’re looking for ideas etc. and the members are generally friendly.

Yeah it really is a great platform, the 1st or 2nd gen, and I know it’s a bit cliche, but I see both generations of cars being future classics and forums like this being a good source of information in modifications and keeping them on the road.

I plan on keeping my 1st gen indefinitely I think, and perhaps adding an FL5 Type R to my garage, to have the perfect 2 car combo.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:05 AM   #46
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
still around mostly in the track section. My 2013 has 90K on the odo and still going strong. No longer driven on the street and is 100% a track car. Plan to keep it for as long as I can as the chassis is really good. If the motor pops will just throw in a gen 2 and keep on trucking.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Opie (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 08:41 AM   #47
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I average 643kms a week...
Mine has averaged 56 miles per week since new....
2013 currently at 32,459 miles....gets trailered to tracks....does a bunch of miles and then sits until the next time....
Busybee (04-26-2024), Dadhawk (04-20-2024), Ultramaroon (04-19-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 03:35 PM   #48
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,940 Times in 11,377 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Mine has averaged 56 miles per week since new....
2013 currently at 32,459 miles....gets trailered to tracks....does a bunch of miles and then sits until the next time....
Sadly, mine is most likely rusting in a junkyard now, or sitting on some third rate used car dealer's lot. It was still running perfectly fine when I traded it in on my LYRIQ but I couldn't justify keeping it as a fourth car (no place to park it).

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 05:43 PM   #49
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
Just chiming in, although I joined a bit later. I was (and still am) I part of NASIOC for years, RS25, etc for all you Subaru people. Man, the forums were "lit" back in the day as you kids would call it. I joined NASIOC back in 2006.

After 2015 or so, things really started shifting online. Forums are an old breed. It's great how you can come on here search, find the answers to your questions. NASIOC is a damn bible for the WRX/STI crowd.

Today though, the internet's shifted towards more just consumable content and less of a catalogue of information. Everything is centralized. You want "forums", you go to Reddit. Yet it's all surface level crap. It's not in depth DIYs, pictures, part numbers, real material. It's here's a picture of my car, give me upvotes type posts. Plus, anything on top is there for a few days and then gets buried.

I miss when forums were active in general. It was THE place to learn and exchange information. It's how we built cars back in the 2000's and early 2010's.
Totally agree. Joined Nasioc in 2003. Still own my 04 WRX wagon. Daily a 16 BRZ now. But the WRX is still used on weekends for mountain biking and fishing.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:23 AM   #50
Tatsu333

Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My 2020 is sitting at just over 16,000 kms after a little more than three years of ownership since new. Working from home and having to take my wife's vehicle on any longer road trips = minimal mileage. Still tinkering with little bits and pieces every now and then, and hoping to get in more track days when budget allows.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:34 AM   #51
CB750F

Drives: 2015 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gents,

I loved this forum from 2013 to 2019, then it started slowing down & now I come here once every few months. MY 2015 has 115k km, so about 65k miles. So little to do
on these cars, change oil, rotate tires, change oil....
I had 2 large issues with this car that made want to sell. LOL
1) Something about front right suspension, I think is was a tie rod. Got that changed
with an alignment!!!!
2) Rear left wheel bearing, I changed myself! Worst part was looking for my tools!!!

I WFH, don't go out much, the last 3 yrs I drive to autocross & that's about it.
I did track but not sure if I want to keep going, it does take a beating & if you
do it long enough, well, shit happens. Well, shit happens anyway so that's a
good argument to keep going....

So, I have OFT, UEL header, catback, coilovers, air filter, Subaru oil/coolant cooler.
Installing front sway bar, stainless brake lines in a few weeks. Oh & that thing to
hold the brake cylinder on the firewall.
Never drove it in winter.

I really like this car.
CB750F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CB750F For This Useful Post:
bcj (04-27-2024), Dadhawk (Today), Teseo (04-27-2024), Ultramaroon (Today)
Old 04-27-2024, 08:34 AM   #52
CB750F

Drives: 2015 BRZ WRB
Gents,

I loved this forum from 2013 to 2019, then it started slowing down & now I come here once every few months. MY 2015 has 115k km, so about 65k miles. So little to do
1) Something about front right suspension, I think is was a tie rod. Got that changed
with an alignment!!!!
2) Rear left wheel bearing, I changed myself! Worst part was looking for my tools!!!

I WFH, don't go out much, the last 3 yrs I drive to autocross & that's about it.
I did track but not sure if I want to keep going, it does take a beating & if you

So, I have OFT, UEL header, catback, coilovers, air filter, Subaru oil/coolant cooler.
Installing front sway bar, stainless brake lines in a few weeks. Oh & that thing to
No issue with TOB yet.
All gas in Canada now has ethanol, so crickets are back since last yr.

I really like this car.
CB750F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CB750F For This Useful Post:
autoracer86 (Yesterday), bcj (04-27-2024), Dadhawk (Today), KMA KiCKz (Yesterday), Tatsu333 (04-27-2024), Teseo (04-27-2024), The Red One (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM   #53
Stephen W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB750F View Post
Gents,

with an alignment!!!!

I really like this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB750F View Post
Gents,

with an alignment!!!!

No issue with TOB yet.
All gas in Canada now has ethanol, so crickets are back since last yr.

I really like this car.
You love the car sooo much you posted about it twice just to add that gas sucks in Canada. I hear ya bro.
I did pass mine on. My last interaction with Subaru Canada and my local dealer over a supposedly leaking fuel rail did it for me. The wife will have to deal with 'em now for her Crosstrek. But that's another story.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
The Red One (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM   #54
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
You love the car sooo much you posted about it twice just to add that gas sucks in Canada. I hear ya bro.
I did pass mine on. My last interaction with Subaru Canada and my local dealer over a supposedly leaking fuel rail did it for me. The wife will have to deal with 'em now for her Crosstrek. But that's another story.

Lighten up a bit there Stephen.. and do pardon me if I misinterpreted your comment.

The double post is possibly due to the forum being a bit slow, and posting these days here is a bit iffy when you get a few time out issues these days.

I got my BRZ a few years ago just because of guys like him who made me discover that a fun vehicle is still being made for us who still enjoy driving the snot out a car -legally.

You cant get the Honda boy out of me but Subaru have made me think twice on brand loyalty as I have no Issues with Service or warranty work performed till now from them(gas pump replaced, new plugs).

My sister had some minor recurring issues with service from them on her previous Impreza yet still got a Crosstrek for function in her wild west environment or as marketing like to call it ...active lifestyle.

The gas issue (crickets) with Ethanol can be bypassed with a little clockwise turn of the volume knob or even better still with a determined burial to the floor of the right hand pedal.

Hey CB when is that historic 750 going to be back on the road? any recent pics?

By the way S.W. enjoy your 'new' 7 it almost mirrors your 1st name and that’s just super!

Im planning for another two month cross country trek to crash a party in northern BC this summer... So much backroads to get lost in with the BRZ between here and there....
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (Today)
Old Today, 09:15 AM   #55
Breezio

Drives: 2017 BRZ series.yellow
The forum being hosted on a dial-up connection isn't helping.

That being said, haven't done much with my car lately, got her pretty much where I want it for STX and now mostly just focusing on being a better driver.
Breezio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Breezio For This Useful Post:
e1_griego (Today)
Old Today, 11:24 AM   #56
Stephen W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red One View Post
Lighten up a bit there Stephen.. and do pardon me if I misinterpreted your comment.
< snip >
I was trying to be funny re: double post but I do understand that it happens due to this site. I'm about done with this forum because of all these problems. I would put up with the ads but not when the site is so slow, hard to post to and often times not available.
My latest issue with Subaru after years of loyalty really did it for me. Those who have good results from their dealers should be thankful because not all dealers are the same. Also, Subaru Canada runs hot and cold with regards to whom, how and when they will help. Just an FYI for those that may run into problems at some point.
Enjoy your cross country romp.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
bcj (Today)

Tags
what?