follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #15
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Flooring the throttle before and during cranking triggers flood-clearing mode. Fuel is completely cut. No need to disconnect anything. Great feature. I use it for extra peace of mind after every oil change.

One of these days I'll get to installing my oil cooler. Gotta buy it first.
Yeah I did not know that either! Thanks
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #16
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
My pleasure, guys! Good luck with your cooler, g0odspeed.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #17
g0odspeed

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphault
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
My pleasure, guys! Good luck with your cooler, g0odspeed.
Thanks man.. I finally did get it fully installed and leak free. If you want to see pics I posted a DIY about it. The coolant line setup is a little different since I went turbo. Had to design and customize the upper rad Hose and fill neck. But it's all in there and I'm pleased with the results. If you wanna see pics of that let me know. I like the oil cooler in the rad because there was less in the front grill. Only have the inner cooler there.. Check out the DIY if you want to..
g0odspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to g0odspeed For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #18
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0odspeed View Post
Thanks man.. I finally did get it fully installed and leak free. If you want to see pics I posted a DIY about it. The coolant line setup is a little different since I went turbo. Had to design and customize the upper rad Hose and fill neck. But it's all in there and I'm pleased with the results. If you wanna see pics of that let me know. I like the oil cooler in the rad because there was less in the front grill. Only have the inner cooler there.. Check out the DIY if you want to..
Oops! I mixed you up with @ryoma. Good luck with yours as well, OP.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #19
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
after installation and starting up the car, how long should I expect for the oil cooler lines to fill up with oil (if the oil pressure and actual oil is not the same)? unless I am supposed to add in the extra .65 quart before the first start? if I add in the extra oil, would it cause the engine to be overfilled before the oil cooler is at full oil capacity? I know you mentioned that the cooler lines are closed off until it reaches 185F so would that affect how fast the cooler and lines fill up after installation?
The cooler should fill in seconds, I would be concerned about the engine running dry at startup. I would recommend adding the fluid prior to startup. Once the vehicle is up to temperature, you can check the fluid level once again to ensure it is properly filled. Oil is diverted from the the cooler when cold, but some fluid still routes through the lines (around 10%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Add the extra oil before you fire it up, takes all of 10 seconds if that to fill the core and everything will be working is it should. Any good quality full synthetic oil can easily handle keeping the engine oiled while that is happening. I think you are over thinking this a little haha!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0odspeed View Post
Murphy gets everyone. I dont care how careful I am to check everything, there is always something I miss. I don't have the mishimoto oil cooler but I ran into the same issues with the Skunk2 ultra. Oil went everywhere before I could get the car off. I didn't prime anything either. Just added the extra oil before cranking. If it is a real concern of your you can unhook the ecu and try to crank it. It will turn over and push oil through everything. Just a thought. I also looked at the video and you should have no problem. Mishimoto has some excellent install videos. I used them when I did my radiator. Anyways, have fun with it. The overthinking can stress you out.
Thanks for the kind words regarding our installation videos!

Quote:
Flooring the throttle before and during cranking triggers flood-clearing mode. Fuel is completely cut. No need to disconnect anything. Great feature. I use it for extra peace of mind after every oil change.

One of these days I'll get to installing my oil cooler. Gotta buy it first.
Great tip!

Thanks
-John
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:46 AM   #20
NicFromTheNorth

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Flood mode active without stock tune

Quote:

Can anyone confirm that this mode is still active with OFT or WayneRom tunes? I don't see why not but I need extra peace of mind before doing this procedure after an oil pan replacement.
NicFromTheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:50 PM   #21
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicFromTheNorth View Post
Can anyone confirm that this mode is still active with OFT or WayneRom tunes? I don't see why not but I need extra peace of mind before doing this procedure after an oil pan replacement.
Just the oil pan? If you didn't tear apart the engine, it's no different than an oil change.

But it's a good question. I'm still on my stock tune. Cannot confirm.
Old 04-12-2023, 01:14 PM   #22
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
yes it is, they didn t mod it, needs to be at 100% to ihnibit fuel, if you do like 80% is still injecting some fuel and probably will turn on accelerating while cold and lean :P

I use it to start on the engine when cold, just floor pedal and let engine crank a couple seconds without fuel then abruptly release the accel pedal and it will start normally
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 02:38 PM   #23
NicFromTheNorth

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the quick replies!
I am only replacing the oil pan, because I stripped the drain plug thread... The car has been on jacks for four days draining oil out.
I modified the pedal to throttle curve in the tune, but that shouldn't matter for the flood mode since it relies on the pedal position.
NicFromTheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:09 PM   #24
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
yes it will work
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote