follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-26-2022, 08:03 AM   #1
falcon_wizard

Drives: BRZ 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Feedback on Hawk ER-1 pads ?

Good day,

I’d be looking to see if anyone has had experience driving the new Hawk ER-1 endurance pads on track, and if possible how they may compare with the Ferodo ds1.1, which I ran last year on hpde, and was very satisfied with. Mu seems quite similar between the two compound. I found very little on the web on the new ER-1 besides Hawk’s content.

Thanks
falcon_wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:43 PM   #2
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_wizard View Post
Good day,

I’d be looking to see if anyone has had experience driving the new Hawk ER-1 endurance pads on track, and if possible how they may compare with the Ferodo ds1.1, which I ran last year on hpde, and was very satisfied with. Mu seems quite similar between the two compound. I found very little on the web on the new ER-1 besides Hawk’s content.

Thanks
There are alot of Hawk fans who strictly ran Hawks for most of their tracking career so they may be a tad biased in that sense. Our recommendation is to just try it and see what you like about it (we've tested hundreds of compounds to find out what each unique characteristic so we can better understand what our customers are going through or how they are driving when we provide consultation/coaching along with product sales).

There are many other compounds available on the market, but each compound has its own unique characteristics which require you to use them differently. Once you find the one that gives you the largest range of use, that's the one you'll come to like.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:39 PM   #3
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
They're similar to the DS1.11 but a bit less torque. Sorta like a Pagid RSL29 too.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:29 PM   #4
falcon_wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
There are alot of Hawk fans who strictly ran Hawks for most of their tracking career so they may be a tad biased in that sense. Our recommendation is to just try it and see what you like about it (we've tested hundreds of compounds to find out what each unique characteristic so we can better understand what our customers are going through or how they are driving when we provide consultation/coaching along with product sales).

There are many other compounds available on the market, but each compound has its own unique characteristics which require you to use them differently. Once you find the one that gives you the largest range of use, that's the one you'll come to like.
Thanks, in fact that’s the plan, I’ve got them ordered for next season :-) I’ll report back in the summer… my set of DS1.11 still have some life in them, so ideally I’d continue to use my rear DS1.11 pads which are still at 75%+, but the front pads only have about 1-2 days left. I will also be trying NT01s for the first time, and keep my ps4s for wet conditions. I found the ds1.11 on the ps4s were very confidence inspiring, consistent and never had a hint of fade. I actually had to be properly modulate them to avoid locking the wheels on larger braking zones, so Mu was more than enough on the PS4S. Considering the RS-1 are a bit cheaper than the ferodos and more easily available in my area, if they perform similarly and last just as long, I’ll be a happy camper. The front ds1.11 pads are just over 50-60% now after about 9hours of driving. (5 days with 5 or 6 20min sessions each) on a fairly fast circuit.
Old 12-02-2022, 04:02 PM   #5
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_wizard View Post
Thanks, in fact that’s the plan, I’ve got them ordered for next season :-) I’ll report back in the summer… my set of DS1.11 still have some life in them, so ideally I’d continue to use my rear DS1.11 pads which are still at 75%+, but the front pads only have about 1-2 days left. I will also be trying NT01s for the first time, and keep my ps4s for wet conditions. I found the ds1.11 on the ps4s were very confidence inspiring, consistent and never had a hint of fade. I actually had to be properly modulate them to avoid locking the wheels on larger braking zones, so Mu was more than enough on the PS4S. Considering the RS-1 are a bit cheaper than the ferodos and more easily available in my area, if they perform similarly and last just as long, I’ll be a happy camper. The front ds1.11 pads are just over 50-60% now after about 9hours of driving. (5 days with 5 or 6 20min sessions each) on a fairly fast circuit.
That's a good start. Interested to see feedback from non-sponsored drivers and teams.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 05:40 AM   #6
falcon_wizard

So I thought I would offer some early feedback of my first experience using the new hawk ER-1 endurance pads on my Turbo BRZ on my first track/hpde day of the season. I can’t talk about longevity yet, however I can offer some initial feedback relative to the Ferodo DS 1.11 I used last season. Both were used with the same car and on the same track, a high speed circuit with 20 or 25mins sessions in an intermediate run group, with the stock (non PP) calipers and RBF600/660 oil. Pads were bedded in accordance with the manufacturer guide before each day. I used the DS1.11s with PS4S tires and the ER-1s with both PS4S and NT01s. I have no sponsorship whatsoever so (unfortunately for me I guess…), I buy all my consumables on my own dime… so I guess the feedback will not be financially biased… :-) although these are early first impressions on just 1 day (about 120mims) of track time, and one season apart, so not back to back.

Overall so far I found the ER-1s to be at least as capable as the DS1.11. Both gave me very reliable and steady breaking with no fading whatsoever throughout the day. The ER-1s seem to provide a higher Mu which allowed me to shorten my breaking distances, while providing ease of modulation such that I could control my braking with confidence. The first session was a bit less confidence inspiring however I was scrubbing the brand new NT01s and things really improved as the system heated up. On the PS4S, sometimes I felt the DS1.11 had to be feathered carefully on long high speed braking zones to avoid lockup/ABS kicking in, in comparison the ER-1s seemed to be a little easier to modulate once at operating temperature.

Trying the ER-1s with the NT01s, I was expecting to feel the limit of the stock calipers, however so far so good - the brakes were steady, consistent and solid all day long, and the added grip allowed me to significantly shorten my braking zones, to a point I need now to adjust my braking points since I now am braking much too soon, and able to carry more speed in the turns.

All this to say that the first impressions on the ER-1s are very positive, and seem a very strong contender to the ds1.11s. As I said in my earlier post, I really liked the DS1.11s, but wanted to give the ER-1s a try since they are more readily available in my area and less expensive relative to the DS1.11s. They needed to be warmed-up a bit more than the ferodos to perform well, but once heated up after the first session they performed flawlessly and with great stopping power and modulation all day long.

I will be able to report more on durability later on in August …

Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to falcon_wizard For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-06-2023), strat61caster (06-06-2023)