follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2023, 11:39 PM   #57
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,389 Times in 6,120 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It is basic physics. I thought engineers understood such but guess I was wrong.
in case you aren't just trolling I'll try to explain briefly.

In rolling motion, you have two types of velocity, translational and angular. Angular is always perpendicular to the radius, while translational is a constant in the direction of travel. To get the velocity of any point on the wheel, you add both of these velocities together.

First, break down the angular velocity into it's horizontal and vertical components. This is typically done through basic trigonometry, but to spare you the math we will look at 4 easy points to visualize. At the bottom of the wheel is as negative (backwards) as it is going to get. At this point all of the angular velocity is horizontal. At the top of the wheel it is as positive (forwards) as it is going to get, again the velocity is 100% horizontal. At the front and the back (relative to the car) of the wheel, the horizontal velocity is 0, meaning those points are traveling vertically. Don't believe me? Have someone swing a weight on a string and watch it from the side.

Knowing that, the best chance for a rock to be flung straight back is if it were flung from the bottom of the wheel right? However, we know that the bottom of the wheel, in contact with the ground, has to be moving at the same speed as the ground, otherwise it would be slipping. Which means that the bottom of the wheel must be moving at a horizontal velocity of 0kph.

As discussed before, the bottom of the wheel is the most negative angular velocity you can have. So if the point of the wheel with the most negative angular velocity is traveling at an total (angular+translational) velocity of 0, then all other points on that wheel must have a positive total velocity.

Therefore something which at one point matches the actual velocity of the wheel and is then thrown off can only be going forward or remain stationary.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (05-12-2023), JD001 (05-16-2023), NoHaveMSG (05-12-2023), Ultramaroon (05-12-2023), WNDSRFR (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 12:00 AM   #58
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,389 Times in 6,120 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Are you really this obtuse all of a sudden or just siding with the alleged "engineer" because he is saying what you want to hear?

When the wheel rotates mud, sand, and stones can stick to it. As you pick up speed the centrifugal force will eventually overcome the adhesion and they will fling off. They can do that at any point in the rotation. A surprising amount will fly forward and down with some serious velocity. The corner of the rocker below the front of the wheel well liner is ungiving metal. If nothing protects it then it will eventually (some times rapidly depending on where you live) get blast like a sand blaster. This leads to rust and structural damage. The rubber or plastic can absorb the impacts without degrading as quickly as solid steel protecting your rocker corner. You are not fucking protecting the wheel from splashes you are protecting the rocker from the wheel. In most of the real world this is a very important feature but I get that Californians and Hawaiians are confused by such things.

You saw the fucking picture I posted of mine do you think I packed crap in there on purpose? Do you think almost every manufacturer that calls it a shield or guard had a translation issue? For that matter do you truly think that the top automotive manufacturer in the world farms out their tech writing to some almost illiterate translator? Are you really that gullible?

Yes the little rubber flap will have a slight aero effect but that is not the only or even main purpose.

I swear people on here are getting fucking stupider every day.
You don't need a flap hanging down from the body of the car to do that. The wheel well is plastic. If you look at the design of the part on the car, it is one piece that wraps completely around the section you were referring to, and then adds a random flap hanging out there. The flap section is for aerodynamics. I'll be willing to believe it's a dual purpose part on certain specific cars, and they picked one of the purpose for the name. However, the flap itself is an aerodynamic feature.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (05-12-2023), Ultramaroon (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 07:11 AM   #59
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,162 Times in 3,459 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Are you really this obtuse all of a sudden or just siding with the alleged "engineer" because he is saying what you want to hear?

When the wheel rotates mud, sand, and stones can stick to it. As you pick up speed the centrifugal force will eventually overcome the adhesion and they will fling off. They can do that at any point in the rotation. A surprising amount will fly forward and down with some serious velocity. The corner of the rocker below the front of the wheel well liner is ungiving metal. If nothing protects it then it will eventually (some times rapidly depending on where you live) get blast like a sand blaster. This leads to rust and structural damage. The rubber or plastic can absorb the impacts without degrading as quickly as solid steel protecting your rocker corner. You are not fucking protecting the wheel from splashes you are protecting the rocker from the wheel. In most of the real world this is a very important feature but I get that Californians and Hawaiians are confused by such things.

You saw the fucking picture I posted of mine do you think I packed crap in there on purpose? Do you think almost every manufacturer that calls it a shield or guard had a translation issue? For that matter do you truly think that the top automotive manufacturer in the world farms out their tech writing to some almost illiterate translator? Are you really that gullible?

Yes the little rubber flap will have a slight aero effect but that is not the only or even main purpose.

Erm.. May I ask? Did someone nick your splatter guard?
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (05-12-2023), WNDSRFR (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 07:15 AM   #60
JD001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
You don't need a flap hanging down from the body of the car to do that. The wheel well is plastic. If you look at the design of the part on the car, it is one piece that wraps completely around the section you were referring to, and then adds a random flap hanging out there. The flap section is for aerodynamics. I'll be willing to believe it's a dual purpose part on certain specific cars, and they picked one of the purpose for the name. However, the flap itself is an aerodynamic feature.
I am currently killing time in Chatteris, waiting for Fensport to sort out the suspension on my BRZeeeeee. It was crazy low, I think I may have worn out the splatter guards... BTW, I will be posting photos of my car alongside Fensport's Track prepped Yaris...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (05-12-2023), Spuds (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 09:45 AM   #61
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,473 Times in 770 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Here is a novel idea, you know some times a part can do more than one function.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (05-12-2023), WNDSRFR (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 10:01 AM   #62
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Jeez,

Take it easy, it's just a rubber flap.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:50 AM   #63
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,177 Times in 606 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
So at 60mph does mud/roks fling down the skirts/sills off the tires OR is the mud travelling vertically and the sills are hitting the mud at 60mph. Similar impact but one is the mud/rocks moving the other is the car.
blsfrs (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 02:10 PM   #64
JD001

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
I am currently killing time in Chatteris, waiting for Fensport to sort out the suspension on my BRZeeeeee. It was crazy low, I think I may have worn out the splatter guards... BTW, I will be posting photos of my car alongside Fensport's Track prepped Yaris...
As promised snap of my BRZeeeeee with the Yaris race car..

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=859
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 02:21 PM   #65
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,224 Times in 7,328 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
As promised snap of my BRZeeeeee with the Yaris race car..

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=859
Did you ask Fensport what they call that part?
blsfrs (05-12-2023), JD001 (05-16-2023), Spuds (05-12-2023), Ultramaroon (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 03:06 PM   #66
JD001

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Did you ask Fensport what they call that part?
Noooo... Stopped myself from popping the question as I felt a bit stupid asking... However, once the dust (or the rocks) have settled I will ask.. I am planning another trip to Fensport to get the poly bushes installed..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (05-12-2023), NoHaveMSG (05-12-2023), Spuds (05-12-2023), Ultramaroon (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 05:15 PM   #67
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
My old lady just calls it "...that flappy thing down there...".
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (05-12-2023), JD001 (05-12-2023), NoHaveMSG (05-12-2023), Ultramaroon (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 06:00 PM   #68
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,189 Times in 8,583 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
My old lady just calls it "...that flappy thing down there...".
We're talking about cars.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (05-12-2023), NoHaveMSG (05-12-2023), Spuds (05-12-2023), Ultramaroon (05-12-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 01:22 PM   #69
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quote:

They sure are. Thank you for so eloquently demonstrating that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (05-15-2023), JD001 (05-16-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 07:12 PM   #70
vindiesel

Drives: 2023 brz limited 6mt red
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It’s actually a tuna sandwich with crust
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vindiesel For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (05-15-2023), Clipdat (05-15-2023), soundman98 (05-15-2023), Spuds (05-16-2023)