follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2023, 03:46 PM   #15
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,389 Times in 6,120 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If the camera has the same scale as what the mirror would show YOU ARE STILL LOOKING AT A RESULT THE SAME BLOODY SIZE.

I don't have issues looking at my back up camera screen but boy oh boy a camera for a mirror is going to lead to fucking chaos since nobody can focus.

Size is not the only thing that matters in our visual perception of the world. I really don't care about this car or their solution to not wanting a rear window but you are missing the point that is being made.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 04:05 PM   #16
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,631 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I like it, very unique. There was a Polestar 1, one of 1500 made, in the underground parking where I recently purchased my Volvo, apparently part of the dealership owner's collection. Beautiful car.

Polestar 2 is what roped me in to a Volvo, but when I realized I barely use 2 tanks per month and cringe at the idea of having to put in a level 2 charger in an extremely cramped garage that convinced me to go with gas (mild hybrid) this time instead.

Probably my next vehicle will be electric although I'm doubtful my mileage will increase. Polestar look to be top notch and also the Volvo Recharge line can give Tesla a run for their money with their own minimalist (Scandinavian) design philosophy. If I was willing to wait a year for an order, there's a V60 T8 Recharge wagon that could hold its own with any MB E Class AMG wagon.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 08:32 PM   #17
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,461 Times in 3,204 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Interesting. I was randomly in the local rich persons mall for an errand (just stopping by the apple sheep store ) and noticed they had a Polestar shop inside. There was a car with a black silhouette cover over it. Must've been the 4.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:15 AM   #18
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,631 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Interesting. I was randomly in the local rich persons mall for an errand (just stopping by the apple sheep store ) and noticed they had a Polestar shop inside. There was a car with a black silhouette cover over it. Must've been the 4.
Probably the 3. Polestar 4 was just unveiled, but the 3 is on sale now.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 04-19-2023 at 08:44 AM.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
spike021 (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 12:27 PM   #19
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,788 Times in 3,293 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
@Tcoat is right. It is the same. The only difference is normally you have to look through a window and through the car past objects in the back like your children’s heads. This is unobstructed like watching a backup camera which greatly improves visibility. The only downside is that you can’t be a cab driver and use the rear camera to stare at the jugs of a woman in the rear seat. Also, I believe DOT requires two mirrors in a car, so two side or a side and rear view mirror, so all mirrors couldn’t be cameras, and I think this is why some rear view mirrors are mirrors and flip to be cameras. Something like that.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:42 PM   #20
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Drives: what
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
not in the market for this car so i dont really care but the general trend of rising beltlines, small windows and poor visibility for daily driven cars is a bad trend and i wish it would reverse but it seems unlikely. miss the days when the greenhouse of most cars was so much better.
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:16 PM   #21
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires View Post
not in the market for this car so i dont really care but the general trend of rising beltlines, small windows and poor visibility for daily driven cars is a bad trend and i wish it would reverse but it seems unlikely. miss the days when the greenhouse of most cars was so much better.
Good ol days when every car was basically as safe as a convertible.

Old 04-19-2023, 01:31 PM   #22
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
@Tcoat is right. It is the same.
Have you actually tried this? I did in a C8 Corvette and it takes a second to focus on the camera "mirror" and then another second to refocus on the road. As I said, it works great in low speed maneuvers. On the highway I prefer the arrow-slit of a rear window with a wing in the middle. And my eyes are fairly young (not yet 40 years old). I shudder to think how well that works for the average new car buyer demographic (around 52 years old).
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
Spuds (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 02:51 PM   #23
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,389 Times in 6,120 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Look up "accomodation" and "ciliary muscles". Larger differences in distance take longer to focus on, and the range of motion decreases with age. A screen is a near object with an image on it, like a painting or a book. A mirror allows reflection of light from far objects, more similar to a window from an optical perspective.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 05:34 PM   #24
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Drives: what
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

it's really only been the past 10-15 years that the greenhouse shrunk and beltlines got way higher (to protect against the swathes of heavy SUVs taking over the road).
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires For This Useful Post:
Spuds (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 07:06 PM   #25
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires View Post
beltlines got way higher (to protect against the swathes of heavy SUVs taking over the road).
Going on a tangent, but I recall reading an article about new car design and the high beltline was claimed to be consumer preferences as it "makes them feel safer" but has nothing to do with actual safety - the tops of the door offer zero protection, it's the reinforced bar going across the door that does and presumably that hasn't moved quite as high up as the beltline.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:07 PM   #26
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A tesla model x weighs on average around three hundred pounds less than a gmc yukon.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 11:10 PM   #27
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Have you actually tried this? I did in a C8 Corvette and it takes a second to focus on the camera "mirror" and then another second to refocus on the road. As I said, it works great in low speed maneuvers. On the highway I prefer the arrow-slit of a rear window with a wing in the middle. And my eyes are fairly young (not yet 40 years old). I shudder to think how well that works for the average new car buyer demographic (around 52 years old).
I have. The only difference between a mirror and camera besides the lack of obstructions with the camera or the difference in perspective (no different than fisheye rear view cameras) is what your brain expects from conditioning to what it is seeing. Your brain expect a mirror if that is your norm. It anticipates what is a "normal" reflection based on that same conditioning. Most rear view mirrors/cameras use a similar or slightly convex shape to capture a similar perspective, so objects are about the same size irregardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Look up "accomodation" and "ciliary muscles". Larger differences in distance take longer to focus on, and the range of motion decreases with age. A screen is a near object with an image on it, like a painting or a book. A mirror allows reflection of light from far objects, more similar to a window from an optical perspective.
I don't need to because I've been in healthcare for over a decade and am graduating nursing school next month, so I am familiar.

You have the physics wrong. It doesn't matter if the light that is reflecting off the car behind you is hitting a mirror and reflecting or hitting a camera sensor and transmitting to a screen, the light reflecting off the mirror or the light omitted by the screen has to go the same exact distance to your eye. All your eye sees is a two inch car as light that is reflected or omitted. It makes zero difference. The only variables that are different between the two is the clarity, the obstructions, the lens on the camera creating a fish eye effect or a closer effect (by being positioned closer to the rear of the car), etc. Assuming the camera sensor is able to capture a larger viewing angle, the screen can be cropped to appear virtually identical in size/perspective to what you would normally view.

A mirror has two reflections: one is off the glass and the other is off the metal surface. The former is what is used by toggling the bottom of the mirror to reduce the light intensity, and the latter is used for the best clarity, but both are always there and slightly off-kilter, so a mirror will always look different because there will by an off-set "ghost" duplicate overlayed on what you see.

Last edited by Irace86.2.0; 04-20-2023 at 09:40 AM.
Irace86.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 07:38 AM   #28
tiger1964

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So, what is that, the 1959 Buick Zagato?

Quote:

bcj (04-20-2023)