follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2023, 11:25 AM   #29
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,471 Times in 766 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Reading CAN is already something RaceRom does, it won't be that hard to add a CAN Flex Fuel sensor and wire it into the CAN bus and have EcuTek read it (obviously this is dependent on them adding the code to RaceRom).

This is *not* a huge deal, for so many reasons. Either just run a Euro tune and literally nothing changes... or wait for EcuTek to add the ability to interface with a CAN FF sensor.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:20 PM   #30
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
I see that according to your build thread that you aren't running ethanol, nor FI, so I can understand how this really wouldn't concern you at the moment, but I'm running both, and my tune is 100% MAF based, so I am perfectly within my right to bring this up as a concern.
What a lame response. At the point you even thought of typing this you should have backspaced and taken a break from the internet.

As tomm.brz already pointed out, easy work around. The euro roms are less buggy anyway.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:07 PM   #31
EvilPenguin04

Drives: 2015 BRZ 2004 SVT Cobra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm FI running a mix of 93/e85 and plan on switching to full E85. Tomm.brz did my tune and switched it to the Euro version if he's not concerned, I won't be.
EvilPenguin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:34 PM   #32
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
What a lame response. At the point you even thought of typing this you should have backspaced and taken a break from the internet.

As tomm.brz already pointed out, easy work around. The euro roms are less buggy anyway.
I don't think it's a lame response and here's why. The only other input that Pro ECU uses that is not emissions-based is the MAF sensor input. I can't use that for my flex fuel sensor input because my tune is 100% MAF based.

And as far as my tune is concerned, I'm pretty sure it's not a euro version. D00C are the last four digits of the CAL ID and according to @tomm.brz in his previous post, this isn't one of those.

And yes, @tomm.brz, thank you very, very much to Steve99 for all of his knowledge that he has blessed us with and has allowed to remain here for us all to learn from. He has helped me out in the past as have you sir, which I am very grateful for.

With that being said, until ECUTEK comes up with their own solution to the flex fuel sensor issue for USDM tunes, whether it be new code to write and/or CAN input-based, I will continue to watch and wait. I will not be updating my Pro ECU software until I know 100% what the changes are in the new version.

And also @tomm.brz I don't consider myself being pessimistic, just overly cautious. If it comes to the point that I need to switch over to a euro tune, I will confer with my tuner. Thank you for your suggestion, I will definitely consider it once all the cards have been laid out on the table.

@DocWalt thank you for your suggestion as well and the video link. I just hope ECUTEK can adopt the same next generation flex fuel kit and integrate it into their software suite as Cobb is doing.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:23 PM   #33
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
"with my tuner" so the tune you have it s not made by you, meaning probably you don't have a Racerom self tuner licence

So this update doesn't really affect you neither your current tune, it's not that after the update , the Pro Ecu software will open by itself in secret all the emission-related table and revert them to stock.. Your current tune will stay the same regardless

If you will want to make mods to it, then your master tuner will have his software already updated, and if your personal software is updated is then totally irrelevant
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (03-29-2023), Fred E (05-09-2023), NoHaveMSG (03-29-2023), Teseo (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 03:04 PM   #34
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Damn... glad I went open source.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (03-29-2023), Wally86 (04-28-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 03:22 PM   #35
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
"with my tuner" so the tune you have it s not made by you, meaning probably you don't have a Racerom self tuner licence

So this update doesn't really affect you neither your current tune, it's not that after the update , the Pro Ecu software will open by itself in secret all the emission-related table and revert them to stock.. Your current tune will stay the same regardless

If you will want to make mods to it, then your master tuner will have his software already updated, and if your personal software is updated is then totally irrelevant

No, actually I am fully licensed with RaceRom. I have it so that I can learn the basics of tuning and what the Pro ECU software can do. But I'm definitely not learning at the risk of damaging my own engine so this current tune has been hired out.

In an effort to learn, and prior to hiring out my FF/FI tune, I experimented for a little while before installing my flex fuel sensor and ethanol content analyzer and while I was still naturally aspirated, on things that would not threaten the reliability of the engine, involving a different MAP sensor and different accelerator trim settings.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
tomm.brz (03-29-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 06:30 AM   #36
AussieBRZ

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The new EPA version will likely stop you editing any old tune functionality like flex that uses evap or rear 02,or any dtc code that's emmissions related

This may or may not be limited to USA ROMs it may be all ROM s I do not know

If you don't update it will ask limit your ability to buy ecutek licences or tunes as they often want the ecutek registration code and check it for the current ecutek version.

They may also stop you flashing older tunes with newer ecutek epa software don't know

All a bit of an unknown
AussieBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:25 AM   #37
tomm.brz

Steve ecutek answered by email Euro tunes won't be affected by this
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
AussieBRZ (03-30-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 06:21 PM   #38
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
No, actually I am fully licensed with RaceRom. I have it so that I can learn the basics of tuning and what the Pro ECU software can do. But I'm definitely not learning at the risk of damaging my own engine so this current tune has been hired out.

In an effort to learn, and prior to hiring out my FF/FI tune, I experimented for a little while before installing my flex fuel sensor and ethanol content analyzer and while I was still naturally aspirated, on things that would not threaten the reliability of the engine, involving a different MAP sensor and different accelerator trim settings.

You seem to be freaking out so much about this. But let me propose you this hypothetical......

Can your tuner open up a stock euro ROM? Can he not transfer over all the fuel map tables and everything else needed including how you're currently set up with your flex fuel from the USDM rom the euro ROM? Then, can you not then flash that same euro ROM into your ECU?

The only thing that will change is the CID and the CVN number. BUT if your in a state that checks for CID and CVN number for emissions, you would be screwed either way regardless of them doing this.

I made FF kits for both gen1 and gen2 cars. The Canbus difference is not a huge deal to implement. Trust me they will find a way. There are other inputs that can be worked in.

This is probably the best compromise that we could have. We are extremely lucky that our ecu can be flashed with any other markets files. Not sure about other platforms they have, but they already support canbus on alot of others.
DocWalt (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 11:04 PM   #39
yzf219

Drives: 2013 FRS GTX3076R
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Could you please tell me how to bypass the ecutek compatibility check? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
it is written in BOLD that ONLY USDM TUNES ARE AFFECTED

so,... uograde to EURo tune, it s as easy as write 4 specific letters vefore the name of the file

where is the problem?? i see none!
they won y restric any table if you open a euro tune, only id you open a usdm tune. it s crearly bold written

if you need inspection done, if you are na you bring it to simil stock and flash a stock usdm tune. Emission passed
If you re FI, are you thinking you can pass emission? only way is to put car to stock or in eligible States, if you put a carb tune.. here can be a problem but i guess only in california? either way seems possible anyway to do carb tunes by their writing so still not a huge deal...
yzf219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:58 AM   #40
Sur

Drives: GEN-1-86-MT-FI / 2022 KTM RC 390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How do I get my hands in a euro rom?
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:08 AM   #41
tomm.brz

in your proecu software, help - update - update rom files
Old 04-05-2023, 02:08 AM   #42
tomm.brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzf219 View Post
Could you please tell me how to bypass the ecutek compatibility check? Thanks!
PM me for that
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
yzf219 (04-15-2023)