follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2023, 09:50 AM   #1
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clunking sound coming from right speaker

I've had this problem for a couple of months, which I would hear a clunking sound coming from the driver's door right speaker when the car is driven. Below is a link to the sound:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/hmh2D...?feature=share

Initially I assumed it was something to do with the door panels, but it turned out that the speaker is actually making the rattling noise - I turned off my radio one day to get a proper listen to the sound when I realized it didn't make any. My setup is a Kenwood DDX918WS with a powered sub and stock amp/speakers.

These are my observations so far:

1. The sound only comes when I drive on rough roads. Vibrations (eg when the car is near stalling) makes the sound louder and more frequent.

2. The sound only comes from my right driver speaker.

3. As mentioned, there is no clunking sound when the HU is turned off. However if the HU is turned on but muted/playing a silent track, the sound is there.

4. Have tried shaking the HU and wiring behind it, and I cannot reproduce the sound.

5. Have removed the speaker and I do not see any visible issues. Shook around the entire speaker assembly, which everything is solid.

6. The sound does not happen when revs climb, so not a ground loop or any sort.

7. The right speaker plays normally, no signs of clipping/bottoming.

8. The clunks do not increase with volume.

Based on the above, my guess would be that the speaker is shot but I'm not sure how to pinpoint the problem it apart from swapping a new speaker in, which would take me some time to find.

Thanks

Last edited by Compelica; 03-03-2023 at 07:47 PM.
Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #2
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Finally solved this problem - it was the amp wiring at the rear the whole time, one of the wires to the speaker was loose. Reseated it and it's all gone now

Last edited by Compelica; 03-01-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Compelica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Compelica For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-01-2023)