follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Rstalter77

Drives: 2010 VW GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
8 Speaker stereo specs?

Tried to do a search and still cannot find any specs on the standard 8 speaker stereo in the BRZ. Does anyone know who's the manufacture or wattage of this system? I'm hoping at the least it's a Harman unit but I'm worried it's going to be just as bad as what they put in the WRXs (junk). Has anyone played around and listened to this stereo first hand? I've seen the video that demos AHA Radio and I'm not really interested in another radio station option. Plus the video doesn't give any info on the entertainment system itself. Are they any sales guys out there that have extensive time messing around w/ this system?

Last edited by Rstalter77; 03-17-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Rstalter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
gdi2290
Web Designer/Programmer

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited (Lemon)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
go to a dealership and find a 2012 Impreza with a Nav unit. The same unit will be in the Subaru BRZ. that's all we really know other than a 10inch subwoofer upgrade
Old 03-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Monkey_Boy
Bleeds WR Blue

Drives: '14 BRZ (WRB), '06 Baja (ABP)
Might I recommend the Electronics/Audio sub-forum
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

They have not put out the Navigation System Owners Manual yet, or at least not that I have seen. Looks like one they have used in other models, though.
Monkey_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdi2290 View Post
go to a dealership and find a 2012 Impreza with a Nav unit. The same unit will be in the Subaru BRZ. that's all we really know other than a 10inch subwoofer upgrade
Are you sure it's not a Toyota system? The thing is we don't really know and I have those same questions. If it's anything like a Toyota Unit then it'll be adequate, imo.
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kphile View Post
Are you sure it's not a Toyota system? The thing is we don't really know and I have those same questions. If it's anything like a Toyota Unit then it'll be adequate, imo.
Pretty sure the unit in the BRZ is the same from the new WRX/STI/Impreza.

^From a 2012 Impreza. Believe Pioneer makes it.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Don't know - but they're trying to keep costs down so don't expect anything amazing. (if it is amazing, then you can be pleasantly surprised).

I'm guessing the system will be decent enough for most owners, but still be completely replaced by 5% of the people that would rather have a much better system.

I paid for the stereo upgrade on my new '03 WRX. That included a (hold on to your hat) 6" subwoofer mounted under the passenger seat. (note - if you have a piece of paper that ends up on top of the sub, it will sound like your speaker is blown - which is what I lived with for a year! Oops). The system in that car is fine. Nothing special, but sounds ok.

As a hobby-musician playing in bands for 20 years, my ears ring constantly. Cranking up the stereo is not a fun experience any more. I've lost some highs as well. I don't need a 4,000 watt stereo in my tiny car.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
Pretty sure the unit in the BRZ is the same from the new WRX/STI/Impreza.

^From a 2012 Impreza. Believe Pioneer makes it.
My mistake what I meant was the speaker system not the Headunit. Does Scion and Subaru have different speakers they are using? Because we know they have different HUs. And like I said before if it's Toyota OEM Speakers in Subaru, imo, it's adequate enough.
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
DEC1

Drives: '10 Infiniti G37 (pre-ordered BRZ)
I was in a BRZ today and brought my I-Pod along...I got in, closed the windows and cranked it up...the Ipod interface was good and it sounded very good to me...and I'm coming from an Infiniti/Bose system that is excellent.

It's still an odd looking radio...and the interface is different than what I'm used to but I suppose I'll get used to it...although I hate the idea of no steering wheel buttons...

Weird sd card slot right there on the face for the navi....another odd/funky feature...
DEC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEC1 For This Useful Post:
ShoGun (04-12-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
sfwg

Drives: 2007 saturn ion(dd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC1 View Post
I was in a BRZ today and brought my I-Pod along...I got in, closed the windows and cranked it up...the Ipod interface was good and it sounded very good to me...and I'm coming from an Infiniti/Bose system that is excellent.

It's still an odd looking radio...and the interface is different than what I'm used to but I suppose I'll get used to it...although I hate the idea of no steering wheel buttons...

Weird sd card slot right there on the face for the navi....another odd/funky feature...
can also be used for movies and music
Old 03-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
aphonic

Drives: WRB BRZ (Limited)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Honestly, I don't think you're going to get a valid opinion on the car's stereo until you're listening while driving. Cabin noise dampening doesn't seem to be a big priority in the manufacturing (as far as I've read,) so there's a decent chance that engine noise will take a big cut out of the low-end (bass) of the stereo because of frequency masking. Consider wind resistance masking some of the mids as well.
aphonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdi2290 View Post
The Subaru subwoofer made by Kicker is gonna be 10 inches??? I thought their previous subs were 6 or 8 inches. 10 sounds awesome.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #12
brianbot5000

Drives: White WRX Hatchback, Toyota Pickup
Looking at the stereo/nav unit made me think - it's just about time to eliminate the CD player from these. SD card slot is a great addition though. Nix the CD and it frees up space, and who carries around CD's anymore?
brianbot5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:49 AM   #13
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?

Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC1 View Post

I had an 09 G37 with the Bose 10 speaker "Studio on wheels" package. I have to say it was a damn clean system. I've had 3 cars before that with aftermarket audio done properly too.

Did u have the Same system? or the Base 6 speaker?

If you had the 10 speaker bose than im glad because then i might not have to spend any money on the BRZ audio

Past to Present
CoryUyede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
DEC1

Drives: '10 Infiniti G37 (pre-ordered BRZ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryUyede View Post
I had an 09 G37 with the Bose 10 speaker "Studio on wheels" package. I have to say it was a damn clean system. I've had 3 cars before that with aftermarket audio done properly too.

Did u have the Same system? or the Base 6 speaker?

If you had the 10 speaker bose than im glad because then i might not have to spend any money on the BRZ audio
I have the 10 speaker upgrade...and it kicks...the subs in the front doors are awesome...but I am anything but an audiophile...its such a subjective topic...bottom line it sounded pretty good to me...and I have a TSX also that probably has the worst sounding setup ever...BRZ is waaaaaay better than that

And the interface is pretty nice...I hate having to reach over and do the touch screen thing but its very close to the driver and just above the stick...it will just take some time to learn where all the touch screen buttons are to keep from driving the thing into the woods...wait that's what I do with my golf balls
DEC1 is offline   Reply With Quote