follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #29
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,388 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Dezoris tranny fluid pulled and will be shipped out. Lots of metal suspended.

I'm also having synchro grinding going into 5th when downshifting.

Got this on the drain plug. I'm also running amsoil.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)

Last edited by Hawaiian; 09-03-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #30
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
How's y'alls shifting into 5th at 70mph+? I'm wondering if I've got some abnormal wear as well (will send UOA when the interval is up) since it seems I almost always get "locked" out of the shift gate at the speed/RPM.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #31
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,388 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
How's y'alls shifting into 5th at 70mph+? I'm wondering if I've got some abnormal wear as well (will send UOA when the interval is up) since it seems I almost always get "locked" out of the shift gate at the speed/RPM.
I don't get locked out, but when I need a little extra passing speed or down shifting because I'm exiting the highway, I will have some notchyness or grinding from the synchros that has steadily got worse over the last few thousand miles
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
Gixxer86 (09-04-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #32
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

That is definitely not normal....with the proper rev-match (or close enough, ya know?), the shifter goes into 5th just fine at speed, without resistance from the synchros working against you.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #33
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
That is definitely not normal....with the proper rev-match (or close enough, ya know?), the shifter goes into 5th just fine at speed, without resistance from the synchros working against you.
Mind you, this is upshifting from 4th, not downshifting from 6th. Gotta put it back in neutral and disengage/reengage the clutch. Takes some muscle, too.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #34
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Mind you, this is upshifting from 4th, not downshifting from 6th. Gotta put it back in neutral and disengage/reengage the clutch. Takes some muscle, too.
Ah ok, the person who quoted you before I did made it seem like it was a downshift.

I'd say around that speed I'm usually in third and I'm never really going much faster for flogging purposes so I guess I never experienced this at all.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #35
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
This is what I'm thinking as well.

Sure one uoa doesn't tell you much, and the gray color could be from the extreme pressure additives. But the Motul Gear 300 that some people are using is twice as thick as the Pentosin at 100C and might be better suited for the track.

Post the transmission uoa in the bitog gear oil analysis forum for some possible feedback from a gear oil blender (Molakule).
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=47&page=1

The Red Line uoa is amazing! 5k+ miles easy, IMO. Your break-in method probably worked well! IIRC, Red Line uses silicon as an oil additive, but they would verify this for you or you can look for a uoa on-line. Nice ZDDP! Are you catless?

-Dennis
I will post up there, for sure. I am catted. OEM Header and Perrin Catted Mid.

I will wait to see 448HPs Pentosin UOA and few more before jumping the gun on swapping just yet. I have to agree though since Pentosin is the best peforming in the cold it may not work as well in extreme heat.

But that is speculation.

Quote:
I have no shifting or syncro problems. However I have always had odd clutch in pull to reverse issues (not smooth) and sometimes usually in heat going from neutral out into a gear it feels lost.

Could be shift fork wear as mentioned.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #36
celica73

Drives: '13 BRZ / '11 Outback / '06 Tundra
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
No issues when I shift to 5th at 30 mph, no issues when I do it at 100 mph. Same (good) behavior with the factory trans fill and Redline MT-90 (I've not really noticed the difference between the two).

I am slow when I shift, always have been. No neck snapping with me.
celica73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #37
bluesubie

Drives: 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I am catted. OEM Header and Perrin Catted Mid.
Ok. The reason that I ask is the possible cat poisoning from the added phosphorus in the engine oil. I do think it's a bit overblown though and there would be many more cat failure threads on various car forums if it were really a problem (especially nasioc).

You're probably fine unless you start burning a lot of oil (and it gets to the cats). The new Red Line Euro 5W-30 probably has reduced phosphorus levels.
Quote:
Includes the appropriate levels of anti-wear additives and low ash content to ensure compatibility with the latest diesel particulate filters and emissions equipment
But who wants additional drag (and possibly higher oil temps) at the track from the higher kinematic and HTHS viscosity of 5W-30? Especially a 5W-30 with an HTHS viscosity similar to some 40 grades.

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #38
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Ok. The reason that I ask is the possible cat poisoning from the added phosphorus in the engine oil. I do think it's a bit overblown though and there would be many more cat failure threads on various car forums if it were really a problem (especially nasioc).
Totally overblown. As you said, there'd be threads up and down NASIOC about how Rotella T6 (and Mobil TDT, etc.) is crap if that were the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celica73 View Post
No issues when I shift to 5th at 30 mph, no issues when I do it at 100 mph. Same (good) behavior with the factory trans fill and Redline MT-90 (I've not really noticed the difference between the two).

I am slow when I shift, always have been. No neck snapping with me.
Definitely trying to shift fast and the clutch is down. Stock fill. Not sure what's up with 5th. Warranty work down the line soon.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #39
Gixxer86

Drives: Scion FR-S (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Definitely trying to shift fast and the clutch is down. Stock fill. Not sure what's up with 5th. Warranty work down the line soon.[/QUOTE]

exact same issue. bee to the dealership a few times and have had the factory tech witness the notchy grinding into 5th gear. Mine happens both shift from 4th and 6th at any speed 70+. The factory tech basically told me that i have plenty of warranty miles, and to drive it until it brakes. They did swap the trans fluid; and for the next two days it would be notchy into 5th, even at slow speeds, EVERY time...
Gixxer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #40
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I have no shifting issues, up or down, with mine. Any fluid I've tried has been a improvement over the OEM fill (and I've tried a few of 'em). I consider myself pretty lucky considering the problems some others have had. @zooki I wasn't commenting that your fluid looked bad...just surprised at how different the color was from mine.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #41
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Late nights keep me up worrying and thinking.

I thought about my heavy ass stainless shift knob, would that have any effect on shift fork wear on this car?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #42
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Late nights keep me up worrying and thinking.

I thought about my heavy ass stainless shift knob, would that have any effect on shift fork wear on this car?
Dooood.. go back to sleep.