follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
SUSPECT_BRZ

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Regarding 2017+ Battery

So today I stored my vehicle for the winter. It seems the battery is a little trickier to remove in the recent models vs the pre-2017 ones. There is some sort of black plastic cap clipped unto the front battery tie-down. I found one video online saying to just turn it counterclockwise with a socket but mine seemed to turn but not come off. I tried to pry it off a little as well but no success. I ended up just loosening the back battery tie down and the whole thing just came off.

One concern I had was how the battery wires and cover were pinched from factory with the plastic tie wrap...is that normal? Here is picture illustrating the issue. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by SUSPECT_BRZ; 11-21-2020 at 03:58 PM.
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ View Post
So today I stored my vehicle for the winter. It seems the battery is a little trickier to remove in the recent models vs the pre-2017 ones. There is some sort of black plastic cap clipped unto the front battery tie-down. I found one video online saying to just turn it counterclockwise with a socket but mine seemed to turn but not come off. I tried to pry it off a little as well but no success. I ended up just loosening the back battery tie down and the whole thing just came off.

One concern I had was how the battery wires and cover were pinched from factory with the plastic tie wrap...is that normal? Here is picture illustrating the issue. Let me know what you think.

Just pry that off with a screw driver. It's just to hold those wires in place.

Also that cable tie can not hurt a cable what you are seeing squished is called conduit. It is of no concern.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gloonge For This Useful Post:
SUSPECT_BRZ (11-22-2020), Tcoat (11-21-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
SUSPECT_BRZ

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to get some new wire loom today, cut the tie wrap carefully and redo the looming. I'll then tape both wires together so they stay in place. Removing the battery will be easier that way in the future.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I can confirm, you just need to give it a yoink. It's stronger than you'd expect, don't be worried.

They do this to try and keep the nut from rusting, but foolishly; it's the threads UNDER the bracket that get weak and break off (not on this car, but in general with this style battery hold down)
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
SUSPECT_BRZ (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #5
SUSPECT_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I can confirm, you just need to give it a yoink. It's stronger than you'd expect, don't be worried.

They do this to try and keep the nut from rusting, but foolishly; it's the threads UNDER the bracket that get weak and break off (not on this car, but in general with this style battery hold down)
I always worry when it comes to those damn plastic pins, they seem so fragile. I solved the issue and removed the cap completely from the setup. I will just apply some grease to the metal parts once I put it back in place next spring.

Here is what it looks like now :

The Following User Says Thank You to SUSPECT_BRZ For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (11-22-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 07:32 AM   #6
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ View Post
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to get some new wire loom today, cut the tie wrap carefully and redo the looming. I'll then tape both wires together so they stay in place. Removing the battery will be easier that way in the future.
No, don't bother. This isn't a problem that requires that level of effort. This isn't even a problem, it doesn't even require any effort.

That's not a garden hose, being squeezed by a zip tie doesn't restrict it's function, the black nub just need a slight tug while you unscrew it, it comes of easily, it's made to get pushed on and unscrewed off, so if you even slightly push down on it while unscrewing it'll just spin in place.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote