follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2020, 02:13 AM   #1
Limechos

Drives: ft86 Subaru Outback
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Subie Bike rack problems

Just bought this https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/sku/soa567b060.html for my Salsa Fatbike and Entry level Giant TCR road bike installed on my Subaru XV Crosstrek 2018. No problem until one of our neighbors talked to my wife - brought some heads up.

That some states have laws re on plate visibilty and taillights blocking. - Now my questions are, what's your strat on plate placing and taillights blocking? (Guilty on Plate visibilty bec of my Fatbike hitch mounted)

Any reply will highly appreciated.
Limechos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
there are enough laws on the books in every state at this point that there's really nothing preventing any cop from pulling over anyone that stands out for any reason.

most states have laws about how plates must be fully exposed. many dealership plate frame hinders full plate view, some block registration sticker locations. how many people do you know that have been pulled over for a dealer plate surround? i don't know any.

the trick? just don't stand out.
Tcoat (11-29-2020), The Red One (11-28-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 10:06 AM   #3
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Also good idea to REMOVE the Bike carrier from the hitch between long periods when not in use...

They have ticketed a few around here just for being installed with no bikes ..
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:35 AM   #4
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Run it till you get caught.
$5 you'll never get pulled over.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-29-2020), Tcoat (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've been pulled over in CT for having a rack and again for having bikes on a rack. Both times the officer made me remove it, when I had bikes on the rack it meant sending my friend home with my car while I sat on the side of the road with our bikes waiting for him to come back with his pickup truck. That was a fun 3 hours MA just tickets you but it's a good sized ticket, at least they give you a couple of written warnings first. Here in NY I've had a couple of officers suggest I get a different car to transport my bikes but it hasn't gone any further than that.

I will make a strong suggestion that you wire up a trailer light plug and get some to hang off the bike so your brake and turn signals can be seen. I've had a few close calls when they were blocked.

Here in NY you can not use a license plate relocating thing because you will get a ticket for not having the plate in the factory designated location. It goes to red light, toll and speed cameras not being able to find the plate. On the upside if your bike really does block the plate you can remove your ez-pass from the windshield and drive through all the tolls without stopping because they have no way to figure out who you are, you can also ignore red light cameras if your plate is blocked. I wouldn't suggest doing this but I know the toll readers and cameras can't get you
Old 11-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #6
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Run it till you get caught.
$5 you'll never get pulled over.
Then if you do get ticketed, appeal it.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I've been pulled over in CT for having a rack and again for having bikes on a rack. Both times the officer made me remove it, when I had bikes on the rack it meant sending my friend home with my car while I sat on the side of the road with our bikes waiting for him to come back with his pickup truck. That was a fun 3 hours MA just tickets you but it's a good sized ticket, at least they give you a couple of written warnings first. Here in NY I've had a couple of officers suggest I get a different car to transport my bikes but it hasn't gone any further than that.

I will make a strong suggestion that you wire up a trailer light plug and get some to hang off the bike so your brake and turn signals can be seen. I've had a few close calls when they were blocked.

Here in NY you can not use a license plate relocating thing because you will get a ticket for not having the plate in the factory designated location. It goes to red light, toll and speed cameras not being able to find the plate. On the upside if your bike really does block the plate you can remove your ez-pass from the windshield and drive through all the tolls without stopping because they have no way to figure out who you are, you can also ignore red light cameras if your plate is blocked. I wouldn't suggest doing this but I know the toll readers and cameras can't get you
lol, see? so ticketed if the plate can't be seen, but also ticketed if the plate isn't in the oem location, despite the fact that it would be obscured in the oem location...

if our legal system wasn't the enigma wrapped in a pretzel that it is, maybe we could give a straight answer to this!

50/50, you're going to get a ticket for this. but on the bright side, it's better odds than wasting your money playing the lottery.
gravitylover (11-30-2020)