follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
UHPAS tires with more grip than Primacy?

Ok you all can joke that any Ultra High Performance All Season has more grip than the stock Michelin Primacy

But seriously, are there any tire experts that know for sure?

Just kicking around some ideas...
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
SeattleJeremy

Drives: Vibe
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There is a thread that discusses this video about trying other tires, but I couldn't find it quickly.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_IWa_qlt3g"]2013 Scion FR-S - YouTube[/ame]
SeattleJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That video is a joke. The change tire diameter which wrecks the "scientific" aspect of the whole test. Fail.
BlaineWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Neogens have impressive grip for all seasons. However they are pretty soft on the sidewalls and due to the tread pattern are probably crap in the snow.

However I gotta say they impressed me with their grip in the cold, I just wish they made a version with more stability and I'd be sold.
MmmHamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MmmHamSandwich For This Useful Post:
mike2100 (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
SeattleJeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
That video is a joke. The change tire diameter which wrecks the "scientific" aspect of the whole test. Fail.
They had both the stock size and upsized Dunlops Star Specs. There is a full breakdown @4.45

1:29.3 Scion FRS/Stock
1.28.3 Subaru WRX/Stock
1.27.6 MazdaSpeed3/Stock
1.27.0 Scion FRS Dunlop Star Spec (stock size)
1.27.6 Scion FRS Dunlop Star Spec (plus sized 18" wheels and tires)
Old 08-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
There is no such thing as a 'UHP' all-season tire. You either get a performance tire or an all-season. I'm personally not a fan of all-season tires. I've never had a set that was worth a crap as a summer tire or a snow tire.

The sticky rubber compounds used in performance tires to make them stick get too hard in cold temperatures. The tread patterns will also tend to have larger 'blocks' with fewer groover. This makes them less than ideal for rainy weather.

If you want a high-performance tire, I'd recommend the Dunlop Direza Sport Star Spec. For winter/snow tires, I think they're all pretty good. I've tried 5 different brands and haven't noticed a significant difference from one to another. I don't think tire companies make bargain basement snow tires. They probably figure the people who would buy a $40 snow tire are the same people who wouldn't bother switching to snow tires.

-Justin
Old 08-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
There is no such thing as a 'UHP' all-season tire. You either get a performance tire or an all-season. I'm personally not a fan of all-season tires. I've never had a set that was worth a crap as a summer tire or a snow tire.

The sticky rubber compounds used in performance tires to make them stick get too hard in cold temperatures. The tread patterns will also tend to have larger 'blocks' with fewer groover. This makes them less than ideal for rainy weather.

If you want a high-performance tire, I'd recommend the Dunlop Direza Sport Star Spec. For winter/snow tires, I think they're all pretty good. I've tried 5 different brands and haven't noticed a significant difference from one to another. I don't think tire companies make bargain basement snow tires. They probably figure the people who would buy a $40 snow tire are the same people who wouldn't bother switching to snow tires.

-Justin
I'm not looking for a snow or summer tire recommendation. I just want to know if there are any UHPAS (according to Tire Rack they exist) that stick better than the Low Rolling Resistance OEM tires.

If I end up owning 2 sets of wheels/tires, then I will probably get Star Specs or Pilot Super Sports for the track. But I will definitely not be driving on Summer tires in the Winter, and it does not snow nearly enough in Virginia Beach to drive around on snow tires. Thus my desire (and original question) to find an all season tire that sticks better than the Primacy.
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I understand where you are coming from. While there is some merit to what Justin is saying, there are certainly all seasons out there that encroach on the capabilities of lesser/decent summer tires. A very high performance summer tire is obviously going to outgun any all season, at least in seasonable temperatures.

As far as wet weather, I would generally take a summer tire over typical all seasons. They can channel water just fine and still have more contact with the road than an all season. This is one nice thing about the neogens is they basically have the tread pattern of normal summer tires, but with an all season compound more adept to cold temperatures, but man I wish they were firmer.

As far as a dedicated set of track tires, I'd suggest looking into RT-615K's. I had the old RT-615 and thought they were awesome, better than my Super Sports and I believe they are still cheaper. I'd probably restrict them to track use though, as they wear even faster than most fast wearing summer tires. I had a blast when I ran them as daily tires, especially on a few trips to the mountains, but I ate through them soo fast it made me cringe.

I have run summer tires through Virginia winters, albeit on a FF platform. I used to run two different sets of tires on my Civic and it will be super tempting to do it again, but if I can find all seasons with decent grip and very good stability I'll probably just run them all year and say Eff it. Modest grip can be more fun, but I always like to demand high stability, steering feel, and responsiveness regardless.
MmmHamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #9
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
I doubt you'll match the all out grip of a summer tire using an UHP all-season, but if all you care about is responsiveness and steering feel, I've had good results using BFGoodrich G-Force Super Sport AS tires. They've got very stiff sidewalls for an AS tire and are more responsive than some of the softer summer tires I've had (Kumho Ecsta MX, for example). Overall dry grip is still down compared to any performance summer tire I've had though.

Also the downside with running stiff sidewalls on a harder compound tire is noise and ride quality. The Super Sports will rumble on certain road surfaces and can be a bit harsh over bumps. I think the tradeoff is worth it, but it might not be for everyone.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:36 AM   #10
SeattleJeremy

I'm a big believer in all season tires. Living in Seattle we get lots of rain, and sometimes snow. That's why my car always has all season tires. I'm also too cheap to spring for summer/winter tires/wheels.
It might be good to note however, that my tires have always been an FWD or AWD cars.

My favorite UHPAS Tires in order are
  1. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (22*)
  2. Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position (24*)
  3. Continental ExtremeContact DWS (20*)

*lbs for 215/45-17

The Michelin's and Bridgestone's tires are awesome tires.

The Continental DWS's are also great, and are an awesome price, but they have more sidewall flex than I'd like. The side wall flex is likely why they weigh less than the others on the list.

Cheers.