follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2016, 11:05 AM   #1
SwaggFPS

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Slightly stiffer rear sways make a difference???

I own a '16 BRZ. Stock sways are 18F/14R. I'm thinking on upgrading to a 16 rear. Will that be stiff enough to make any difference?
As of today I don't have any other suspension mods, but will be getting a set of RCE Yellows soon. Also, its my daily driver (reason for not going with coilovers), and as far as motorsports, about once a month I autox and drift... well, still learning to drift.

Mid-TN
SwaggFPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
You will definitely feel a difference going to a 16mm rear.

A good performance alignment is also highly recommended. Get some camber bolts up front and take it to a good shop.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
SwaggFPS (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
SwaggFPS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
You will definitely feel a difference going to a 16mm rear.

A good performance alignment is also highly recommended. Get some camber bolts up front and take it to a good shop.

- Andrew
Thanks for the info and the quick reply

Mid-TN
Old 10-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #4
smg1138

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwaggFPS View Post
I own a '16 BRZ. Stock sways are 18F/14R. I'm thinking on upgrading to a 16 rear. Will that be stiff enough to make any difference?
As of today I don't have any other suspension mods, but will be getting a set of RCE Yellows soon. Also, its my daily driver (reason for not going with coilovers), and as far as motorsports, about once a month I autox and drift... well, still learning to drift.
Are you not planning to upgrade the front bar too? If you only increase the rear bar size, you may run into oversteer issues. You might want to consider running 20F/16R to keep the balance right.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smg1138 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'd get the alignment first. More camber up front without touching the rear will loosen up the rear a bit on it's own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (10-24-2016), strat61caster (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #6
SwaggFPS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
Are you not planning to upgrade the front bar too? If you only increase the rear bar size, you may run into oversteer issues. You might want to consider running 20F/16R to keep the balance right.
A bit more oversteer is what I'm hoping for actually. Want it to rotate a bit more while autocrossing, and want it a bit more tail happy while drifting.

Mid-TN
Old 10-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
A bit more oversteer is what I'm hoping for actually. Want it to rotate a bit more while autocrossing, and want it a bit more tail happy while drifting.
Most people I know with drift cars set them up pretty neutral and stable, then get it sliding with power instead of setting the car up really loose. Setting it up really loose will make it easy to start sliding, but way harder to control the angle of the slide or get it to stop sliding.

If you're set on it being way looser, it'll be a handful at autox. The easiest way to manage it would just be to remove one of the front swaybar end links for drifting.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:43 PM   #8
smg1138

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Most people I know with drift cars set them up pretty neutral and stable, then get it sliding with power instead of setting the car up really loose. Setting it up really loose will make it easy to start sliding, but way harder to control the angle of the slide or get it to stop sliding.

If you're set on it being way looser, it'll be a handful at autox. The easiest way to manage it would just be to remove one of the front swaybar end links for drifting.
What he said.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #9
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
It should rotate more for sure. I think for autocross you may run into trouble putting power down, especially on stock springs.

Keep in mind the Torsen becomes an open diff if the inside tire is fully unloaded, and by stiffening the rear sway bar you are increasing the propensity for that to happen.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #10
SwaggFPS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post

I understand and completely agree with you. The thing is that I keep regaining grip towards the end while drifting. I know that one can't really set up a car for both autox and drifting effectively.

Maybe raising my rear tire psi will help, or more practice while drifting. I have no issues while autox, I'm usually one of the quickest even though I'm completely stock. I'll try more camber upfront first, and tire psi before switching the sways then. See how that goes, and go from there.

Mid-TN
Old 10-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #11
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
I understand and completely agree with you. The thing is that I keep regaining grip towards the end while drifting. I know that one can't really set up a car for both autox and drifting effectively.

Maybe raising my rear tire psi will help, or more practice while drifting. I have no issues while autox, I'm usually one of the quickest even though I'm completely stock. I'll try more camber upfront first, and tire psi before switching the sways then. See how that goes, and go from there.
Another option would be less grippy tires at all 4 corners, it'll keep it neutral for easier recovery but also let you spin the tires easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
SwaggFPS (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #12
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
My preferences to dial out understeer would be to adding extra grip front, instead of reducing grip rear. Imho simplest way for that would be without any stiffer sway bars, but simply adding more negative camber in front then in rear. I was way more happy with car behaviour when i got -2.4 front / -1.9, as now i can much easier turn in front with less understeer, especially if transfer even more load to front with brakes. With stock even zero camber (overall grip aside) i had to input much more efforts, eg. also adding scandinavian flicks to get more turning inertia.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
wparsons (10-25-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #13
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
What would be the optimum swaybar setup for RCE yellows then?

A slight change in rear swaybar and a good alignment would probably work out well when starting autoX and drifting when you're not adding a ton of engine power.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #14
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Personally, I'd go with adjustable ARB's, so you can fine tune.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote