follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 01-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #141
Gameboy9504

Drives: 2014 FRS monogram series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thank you Sargy, that Dyno graph really helps. If I knew how to thank your post I would. Sorry I'm a noob. ��
Gameboy9504 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gameboy9504 For This Useful Post:
Sargy (01-14-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 04:47 AM   #142
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
Yes we have tuned the Edelbrock Kits on Flex Fuel (E85) on the standard pulley. These superchargers do make more power and seem to me a bit more efficient then the Innovate/Sprintex Kits.

On E85 on the standard pulley you will NEED to upgrade the injectors as you will run out of fuel. We have been able to net about 330whp (DynoJet) on E85 with the standard kit. On the Innovate Kit you would net about 310whp (DynoJet) with headers, exhaust, panel filter, snorkel removal and 69mm pulley.

We are expecting this kit will be able to produce about 400whp with the smaller pulley, headers and Flex Fuel Tune. Though we highly suggest building you engine for this as this is guaranteed to snap some rods. .

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning

So I already have the Delicious FF + tune and aftermarket headers...
What would you recommend in terms of safe/reliable driving and tune if I get this kit (which is very much on my wish list).

I really would like to avoid building the engine if possible, but would I have safe and reliable power with the Edelbrock and FF
(I don't really do track days, but would like to do 1 or 2 every now and then, so it's mostly street and spirited driving).
Old 02-01-2016, 04:57 AM   #143
86 South Africa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCarGuyClayton View Post
for the price of the edelbrock kit and the amount of power you get i think there's a lot of other options that are better than the edelbrock... 5.5k for 75hp vs other superchargers or even turbo kits that you can get for that or a little bit more i think there's just better options. just my 2 cents.
We have a saying locally that is "Goedkoop is duurkoop"
Which basically means "buying cheap will cost you more in the long run" - i.e. quality counts!

I'm personally saving for this bad boy (which our recent dip in exchange rate hasn't helped!!!) because I really like the quality, amount of R&D and final finish, etc of the kit.
It's a top notch SC built by a great company and a lot of the tuners (CSG, Delicious being just 2) are pretty impressed with it. That is also a good indicator it is worth a few bucks more i.m.o.
FastWhite (02-01-2016), NotSoJDM (02-01-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 04:57 AM   #144
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
Also a Roots/TVS type SC will drive much different than a Centrifugal SC or Turbo. Different strokes for different folks.

can you expand on this for us newbies? im assuming you mean the edelbrock (roots/tvs type) is better for DD vs something like a JRSC which is more advantageous on the track?
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #145
ThatCarGuyClayton

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
We have a saying locally that is "Goedkoop is duurkoop"

Which basically means "buying cheap will cost you more in the long run" - i.e. quality counts!

I'm personally saving for this bad boy (which our recent dip in exchange rate hasn't helped!!!) because I really like the quality, amount of R&D and final finish, etc of the kit.

It's a top notch SC built by a great company and a lot of the tuners (CSG, Delicious being just 2) are pretty impressed with it. That is also a good indicator it is worth a few bucks more i.m.o.

Wasn't saying buy cheap. At the time I didn't realize the edelbrock kit was so underrated. Because they only advertise like 250whp but there's guys pumping out a lot more. And I know edelbrock is really high quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatCarGuyClayton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThatCarGuyClayton For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #146
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
So I already have the Delicious FF + tune and aftermarket headers...
What would you recommend in terms of safe/reliable driving and tune if I get this kit (which is very much on my wish list).

I really would like to avoid building the engine if possible, but would I have safe and reliable power with the Edelbrock and FF
(I don't really do track days, but would like to do 1 or 2 every now and then, so it's mostly street and spirited driving).
I've looked into this as well, I'll let delicious chime in, but I believe you will need upgraded port injectors and a higher flow fuel pump. Since you already have the FF kit, I believe you will only need a new tune specific for FI. I can't comment on drivability though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalp View Post
can you expand on this for us newbies? im assuming you mean the edelbrock (roots/tvs type) is better for DD vs something like a JRSC which is more advantageous on the track?
Peak power in different locations in the rev range. Roots/TVS tends to have mid range power while a rotrex (JRSC) tends to have high range power.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #147
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
One is an air pump (Edelbrock), whereas the other is an air compressor (Jackson Racing).

The most telling comparison, is to compare CARB power to CARB power, where both configurations are proven to be identical in every way, except the supercharger kits (same engine, same stock header, same crappy California 91 octane).
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (02-03-2016), HaloFRS (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #148
86 South Africa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
One is an air pump (Edelbrock), whereas the other is an air compressor (Jackson Racing).

The most telling comparison, is to compare CARB power to CARB power, where both configurations are proven to be identical in every way, except the supercharger kits (same engine, same stock header, same crappy California 91 octane).
The look pretty similar to me. Maybe different shaped curves, but ultimate power appears to be quite similar in the end... Which would point to both being good enough to maximize the fuel available etc?

All good fun comparing though :-)
Old 02-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #149
Freude am Fahren

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited/'14 Yamaha R6
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Different shaped curves is pretty important though, especially for a DD. Peak horsepower numbers are pretty irrelevant for anything other than boasting and maybe drag racing.

-XXR 527 18x8.75 +35
-Nameless 2.5" OP/FP Combo (Coming soon) & Axleback
-SBD 500X (Waiting on coating to install)
-Southbend SBD500X Clutch
Freude am Fahren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freude am Fahren For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #150
nstymatt

Drives: 2015 brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

Do you mean that on CARB tune, edelbrock and JRSC have the exact same power curve? I was under the impression that they make basically the same peak power on carb/91 octane, but their power delivery is different (more low end torque for edelbrock, high end torque for jrsc) even with carb/91
nstymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #151
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstymatt View Post
Do you mean that on CARB tune, edelbrock and JRSC have the exact same power curve? I was under the impression that they make basically the same peak power on carb/91 octane, but their power delivery is different (more low end torque for edelbrock, high end torque for jrsc) even with carb/91
The edelbrock has a slight torque advantage down low, the other has a slight torque advantage up to. It highlights the strengths of each supercharger because ultimately, the 91 fuel is the real limitation. Given equal conditions and limitations, they have different strengths.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
86fun (02-03-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 05:39 PM   #152
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Just for comparison sake, how would you guys compare a brz + edelbrock on 91 carb tune vs the power a stock 16 wrx or even STI (EJ) makes? just so i can get an idea. both my roommates have a wrx, the other a STI that i have driven a lot, but I've never gotten in an edelbrock brz.. i know they are different.AWD/turbo but anyone with input?
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #153
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalp View Post
Just for comparison sake, how would you guys compare a brz + edelbrock on 91 carb tune vs the power a stock 16 wrx or even STI (EJ) makes? just so i can get an idea. both my roommates have a wrx, the other a STI that i have driven a lot, but I've never gotten in an edelbrock brz.. i know they are different.AWD/turbo but anyone with input?
What are you trying to compare? power delivery? overall package?

I was actually on the fence between getting the SC or saving the money as down payment for a new car. I test drove a '15 WRX last year before getting the kit, definitely very different power delivery. The FA20T in the wrx spools up very quick and early, really good torque down low compared to the e-force, which is more mid-range (you feel it early on, but brunt of it is around 4-5k rpm). Both felt very similar: smooth, little to no "lag" (for the turbo), a steady build up of speed.

Driving-wise, the new wrx is miles better than previous versions (I used to own an '05), but you can't beat lightweight+RWD. When we got to a twisty section during the test drive, I immediately felt uneasy, having to let-off the throttle while working my way around the corner. It was a dry summer day, so grip was not a problem. I later took the same road with the BRZ+SC and it was a very different experience. Much more nimble, the added power meant I didn't have to wring out the engine and I can just leave it in 3rd and squirt away.

TLDR: Power delivery about the same with the FA20T. If you like the way the 86 drives, lightweight+more power=even better
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (02-29-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #154
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
What are you trying to compare? power delivery? overall package?

I was actually on the fence between getting the SC or saving the money as down payment for a new car. I test drove a '15 WRX last year before getting the kit, definitely very different power delivery. The FA20T in the wrx spools up very quick and early, really good torque down low compared to the e-force, which is more mid-range (you feel it early on, but brunt of it is around 4-5k rpm). Both felt very similar: smooth, little to no "lag" (for the turbo), a steady build up of speed.

Driving-wise, the new wrx is miles better than previous versions (I used to own an '05), but you can't beat lightweight+RWD. When we got to a twisty section during the test drive, I immediately felt uneasy, having to let-off the throttle while working my way around the corner. It was a dry summer day, so grip was not a problem. I later took the same road with the BRZ+SC and it was a very different experience. Much more nimble, the added power meant I didn't have to wring out the engine and I can just leave it in 3rd and squirt away.

TLDR: Power delivery about the same with the FA20T. If you like the way the 86 drives, lightweight+more power=even better
plus the added fact that it doesn't look like a corolla
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
Yoda (02-26-2016)

Tags
:popcorn:, mawr powwa