follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #29
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've had various tires on different cars over the years.
Hankook Ipikes rc01, Michelin x-ice, general altimax arctic, Goodyear Nordic, and more recently the Pirelli ice zero FR.

That particular model of ipike was crap. Terrible wet performance, and mediocre in the snow, worst tire I've used to date.

Most snows will probably do the job if you don't care about dry performance. I wanted something that wasn't going to make the car feel like a wet noodle on dry pavement. The Pirelli's do a good job in the dry, while maintaining good snow and ice traction. Very quiet on the highway. Once these are toast I'm switching to nokian hakkapeliitta r3's. They should provide similar dry performance with superior snow performance over what I have now.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #30
BierMeister

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRacer View Post
like the guy above said.. winter can mean different things... icy roads, snowy packed roads, cold weather but otherwise dry roads..

I'm in Toronto which is probably similar to Chicago.. Never had a problem with Michelin Xi3

.. except once.. in London, ON... when my girlfriend lived in a house at the bottom of a hill.

I don't blame that on the FRS though. I was leaving her place at 6am, got stuck trying to go uphill, called a tow, tow truck came down half way and got stuck too. Had to winch himself to a light post to get back out. He said don't bother.

The only people who left to work that day were 4x4 SUVs lol. A woman in a camry loaded with 3 kids tried going after see me and the tow truck stuck... she made it a few feet... spun wheels. Parked the car. Walked home with the kids.
+1 for Michelin Xi3. They're not the best winter tire for snow but they'll get you through it without any issues. The major advantage over the others is that they're very good on dry roads which is 95% of the winter for me.

I believe they're the only winter tire with a tread wear warranty as well.
BierMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #31
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
In TireRack's testing, the car equipped with winter tires stops in literally HALF the distance of the car with all-season tires on an icy surface...

Defensive driving is always the most important aspect in preventing an accident, but no amount of good driving can make up for a lack of grip in ALL situations. Even the best, most defensive driver cannot account for every eventuality, and having twice as much traction can sometimes be the difference-maker. I, for one, also pride myself in driving defensively... but that doesn't mean I also don't want to have twice as much grip in winter conditions
there's almost never any ice near me. which would explain why i see no massive benefit to snow tires.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:11 PM   #32
AnUnusedUsername

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
I'm in Ohio and have gone two years on Pirelli Sottozero series 2s, sold as 'performance' winter tires. We don't get much snow here but it's always either cold or raining, so summer tires year round isn't an option.

Dedicated snow tires like blizzaks would wear out really fast on four months of cold and dry pavement. Performance winter tires can handle dry conditions better than snow tires and are better the rest of winter than all seasons. I wouldn't want them if it snowed every week, but they're great if you just need something that isn't summers.

You won't see the TPMS light if you store your summer tires in the garage. It only comes on after you've driven about 45 miles with no sensors, so if your commute is less than that the car will just pick up the sensors when you get home at night and never show the light.
AnUnusedUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnUnusedUsername For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #33
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnusedUsername View Post
I'm in Ohio and have gone two years on Pirelli Sottozero series 2s, sold as 'performance' winter tires. We don't get much snow here but it's always either cold or raining, so summer tires year round isn't an option.

Dedicated snow tires like blizzaks would wear out really fast on four months of cold and dry pavement. Performance winter tires can handle dry conditions better than snow tires and are better the rest of winter than all seasons. I wouldn't want them if it snowed every week, but they're great if you just need something that isn't summers.

You won't see the TPMS light if you store your summer tires in the garage. It only comes on after you've driven about 45 miles with no sensors, so if your commute is less than that the car will just pick up the sensors when you get home at night and never show the light.
Sorry but that is just totally false. They do not wear out faster on "cold and dry pavement." Maybe they did a few decades ago, but now they are designed for that.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 11:06 PM   #34
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
the softer winter compound does in fact wear faster.

but it's not a tire problem.
why? (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 07:01 AM   #35
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
the softer winter compound does in fact wear faster.

but it's not a tire problem.
they also handle better than a bunch of all seasons, which unfortunately tends to magnify that need.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #36
8inchAzN

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post

The Bridgestone Blizzak WS, for example, are indeed a regular all-season compound once you wear past ~50%,
Do you have a source for this?
8inchAzN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #37
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Ive only ever used Michelin X-Ice (first generation) and they were awesome when new....they kinda sucked when they started to get worn though. There were clear traction differences between new and a few winters worn.

I've also used Continental extremecontact DWS. Winters where I live are too unpredictable to rely on pure summers when its approaching transition time.
(snow may still come even if the weather has been warm for 2 weeks for example). I actually felt like these were working better than the semi worn Xice at some point.

The DWS so far has been my favorite tire. They're softer than other HI-PO tires so the ride is not as bumpy, and the snow and ice traction are pretty damn good for an all season. Not actually sure how long it'll handle the snow and ice (once it gets worn down a bit its effectiveness obviously drops to almost nothing, eventually making them pure summers before completely being useless). Its easy to tell though, they put a DWS indicator on the tread which wears out each letter one by one as the tire is worn down. DWS stands for Dry, Wet, Snow. S wears away first, so the tires only really become useable in wet and dry. W goes next, so then the tire becomes pure dry condition summer tires. Once the D is gone the tires are pretty much useless.

That would lead me to give Continental wintercontacts a try (haven't yet). But I really want to use the Nokian Hakkapellita. Apparently those are still the best winter tires. They're just expensive tires compared to other brands.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #38
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Garage
Tbh, as much as I hated the Michelin x ice 3, they worked, and in some seriously deep conditions too.

Prefer the Hankook ipike though, never had to seesaw my way out of parking spots with these tires.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #39
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8inchAzN View Post
Do you have a source for this?
Description for the WS80 on TireRack.

To be fair, this doesn't explicitly say that the remaining 40% of tread is only as good as an all season, it only says that it isn't the multicell compound.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #40
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
This is simple.
ANY winter tire is better than summer or all seasons if you regularly experience temperatures below 40 degrees with deep snow or ice.

ANY all season tire is better than summer tires if you only occasionally see 40 degrees, light snow and slush.

NO summer tire should be used if you hit temperatures below 40degrees even if you never see snow or ice.

Yes some winter tires have "better" abilities in one category or another but as long as it is indeed a winter tire it is going to perform better than none at all.
CrowsFeast (10-11-2019), soundman98 (09-28-2019), why? (10-12-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 01:51 PM   #41
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This thread has me thinking that maybe I should try a different winter tire this year instead of the Blizzaks... If the General Altimax Artic has 100% tread depth of the winter compound instead of just 60% like the Blizzaks, wouldn't that mean I could get away with 2 winters of hooliganism rather than just 1...?

qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
why? (10-12-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #42
Pedro13

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My personal choice is Michelin X ICE. Have a good grip and also very quiet.
Pedro13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, winter