follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2019, 11:26 PM   #1
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
JDM Engine Swap...

Ok, let me get the first part out of the way because someone is bound to say 'just get your motor rebuilt' as happened in the other thread on this subject that I didn't want to hijack. I am sending my motor to Element to be rebuilt, that's already in the works. Good, that's out of everyone's systems.

So long story short, and to quote Long Duk Dong, 'Lake... big lake...'. My stock motor is toast. As you can imagine, there is some significant lead time (about 3 months) to have it rebuilt properly. I don't mind waiting for quality.

To get my car up and running quickly so it is usable until the new motor is ready, I have the opportunity to get a low mileage pre-'17 Japanese 86 motor (with transmission and all the trimmings) for an exceptional price. My thought process is, even when the new race engine goes in, the JDM one will become a backup engine likewise the transmission, alternator, coil packs, etc. because you just never know.

Now here's the question and hopefully someone has tried this successfully before... Obviously I'll have to keep my stock ECU and harness which is fine, but is there any reason a RHD car motor will not be a direct drop-in? Is the exhaust routed differently because of the steering column, connectors in a weird spot because of the clutch cylinder on the other side of the firewall, etc. Anything anyone could chime in about would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm not sure why all of these stock engine swaps are in the engine swap thread. This is not the correct area. Your question should be in the engine/trans area.
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to all4spl For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (10-03-2019), DustinS (10-03-2019), Uplink (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
@ichitaka05 I wonder if we should change the title of this sub-forum to "Engine Swap (Non FA20)"?

Uplink, I'm fairly sure there are several reasons why it won't swap into your 2014, which have been covered in a variety of other threads. It's not impossible, but it's a hell of a lot of trouble when you can just get an engine for your model year and be ok. I apologize that I can't recall specifically what changes were made, but they're significant enough to know that they won't be worth it for you.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Uplink (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
@ichitaka05 I wonder if we should change the title of this sub-forum to "Engine Swap (Non FA20)"?

Uplink, I'm fairly sure there are several reasons why it won't swap into your 2014, which have been covered in a variety of other threads. It's not impossible, but it's a hell of a lot of trouble when you can just get an engine for your model year and be ok. I apologize that I can't recall specifically what changes were made, but they're significant enough to know that they won't be worth it for you.
Is there really that big a difference with the JDM? I always understood they are the exact same engine. The differences between the right hand drive shouldn't impact the engine it self should it? I can't find any threads on the subject. Would be my guess that swapping a 17 engine into a pre face lift car would be a bigger issue than using a proper year JDM one. Could be way off base though.
Uplink (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Is there really that big a difference with the JDM? I always understood they are the exact same engine. The differences between the right hand drive shouldn't impact the engine it self should it? I can't find any threads on the subject. Would be my guess that swapping a 17 engine into a pre face lift car would be a bigger issue than using a proper year JDM one. Could be way off base though.
If I recall, there are a couple differences because the brakebooster and slave cylinder are on the other side of the firewall so a couple things have changed around that. I can't confirm it, I just recall reading about it a year or two ago. I guess first and foremost my concern was as you stated - having to go between 17 model year and his 14 would be a headache.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-03-2019), Uplink (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,412 Times in 804 Posts
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
He mentioned it being Pre-'17. So should be compatible if JDM engine are indeed the same
Old 10-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4spl View Post
I'm not sure why all of these stock engine swaps are in the engine swap thread. This is not the correct area. Your question should be in the engine/trans area.
Sorry about that. I kinda flipped a coin on which to post in since it was technically about changing the engine. We can move it to the other group.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
He mentioned it being Pre-'17. So should be compatible if JDM engine are indeed the same
Your eyes are better than mine, I missed the "pre".
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Uplink (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 03:39 PM   #9
Uplink

Quote:

Probably a good idea on changing the title but my fault for mis-reading it.

I've got a 2015 FR-s and the motor is a pre-2017 JDM 86 not the newer Toyota GT 86 (still has the old style intake manifold). There's definitely issues like the ECU not functioning properly and the immobilizer which is why I'd keep those from my existing setup. I had trouble finding any mechanical reasons why this wouldn't work like location of sensors and brackets. I can use my factory or HKS exhaust manifold so as long as that mates up properly to the block, plumbing shouldn't be a problem, the exhaust should be just like stock.

No worries, thanks!
Old 10-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #10
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That was my take on it but had the same problem finding threads that address it. I've been trying to find detailed underhood RHD videos to see if anything jumps out but not so much available. I've also gone over the pics of the JDM setup and nothing seems 'out of place' compared to my stock setup. At the heart of the issue, the block itself SHOULD be the same. Both are the older style engines so for the most part it should be like for like.

If we're right about the long block being the long block being the long block... the immediate concerns would be exhaust plumbing (not an issue if a LHD exhaust manifold is direct bolt-on), the location of sensors that may not reach with my harness (not sure if this engine has any optional ports), and interference items in the bay (brake booster, clutch master, etc.). I'm pretty sure the noise tube (closest thing to the brake/clutch assemblies) routes the same way on both spec cars but I don't have mine installed so that's moot.

Thanks for your help with this!
Old 10-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
Uplink

Quote:
If I recall, there are a couple differences because the brakebooster and slave cylinder are on the other side of the firewall so a couple things have changed around that. I can't confirm it, I just recall reading about it a year or two ago. I guess first and foremost my concern was as you stated - having to go between 17 model year and his 14 would be a headache.
Definitely need to keep my existing brake booster vac hose since it's a fitted line. Those 2 items (brake/clutch) were on my watch list though they both sit behind the strut tower brace regardless of side. Just didn't want to get so focused on that and miss something else like 'ground straps in different locations' or something silly like that..

Wanted to get ahead of this all because I went through similar issues when I swapped my L98 Vette motor (PS dipstick) with an older (DS dipstick) block. Granted that was not exactly like for like and in the end it worked but there were enough headaches and workarounds that I would have raised an objection to the project early on.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
Uplink

@ichitaka05 Could you move this to the normal engine group? I mis-understood the topic title.
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
Ya I wasn't referencing that HIS was a post 17 swap just that the swap of a post 17 (what are the terms the kids use for the two models? Gumby and Poky or something like that?) would probably be more difficult than a JDM.