follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #827
cantholdanymore

Drives: FR-S Very Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sorry if this was asked defore but what's the weight of the sc kit?
cantholdanymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:46 PM   #828
Insurme1

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10-Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Think mine was about 60 net lbs.
Insurme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Insurme1 For This Useful Post:
cantholdanymore (08-11-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #829
TDS

Drives: 1967 Spitfire Mk2
We have the Stage 1.3 and it is very loud. At the last autox our sound level was 98dB. Contacted Matt and they sent another silencer but it is still close to the same. We have just ordered the SC and understand that will make it louder- so we are going to have to try and figure something out. Many of the autox course here limit sound to 95dB.
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #830
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,587 Times in 2,929 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
We have the Stage 1.3 and it is very loud. At the last autox our sound level was 98dB. Contacted Matt and they sent another silencer but it is still close to the same. We have just ordered the SC and understand that will make it louder- so we are going to have to try and figure something out. Many of the autox course here limit sound to 95dB.
As an alternative you could change the catback to help reduce the sound. There are certain catbacks which have good flow, albeit more restrictive piping 60mm, 63mm, ect. You could give that a try? I know ACE makes a low dB catback which still flows very well.

Also welcome to the Cosworth Club!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #831
Steeps

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
Thanks for the noise reading, at least I've got something to aim towards now with developing my system. Assuming that's the noise reading when holding the revs rather than what it might peak at while getting up to speed?
Steeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #832
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
Thanks for the noise reading, at least I've got something to aim towards now with developing my system. Assuming that's the noise reading when holding the revs rather than what it might peak at while getting up to speed?

There were multiple passes as it was a practice event. It was at the end of the course under hard acceleration going to timing at the end of the course. The sound meter was 50' from the course.
I have a feeling that the stuffing is getting blow out of the system. Before buying the exhaust, I asked about the noise and was told 92-93dB and that the SC would add a dB or 2. I was wondering if I could just replace the silencer with a 3" diameter piping muffler from say Magnaflow. I really don't what to have to butcher too much of the Cosworth system. 1- I paid a pretty penny for the system and 2- I wanted the Cosworth system. Let me know what you do...
Old 09-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #833
Steeps

Drives: GT86
We're still planning what to do with my car, they're paying out to have tests done on all of the components I have so far as we suspect there's an issue with the 0.2 pipe. The cat failed emissions test and the kit is so much louder than it was at 1.1. Had to remove the manifold to put a factory cat in to pass mandatory emissions testing. Both my catbacks 0.1 were matching eachother with noise (88db static) and currently running 1.2 the noise is higher than the suggested 93db static (2ft away 45' angle 3/4 revs)

I get the feeling Nameless knew there was an issue with the noise of the midpipe once manufacturing started as they now use a different design in their kits with a long silencer fitted: https://shop.namelessperformance.com...rpipe-brz-frs/

I'm going to try the car with just the manifold (0.3) fitted, then add the catback (0.1) and noise test again. If the noise levels are reasonable then I'll know if it's the frontpipe (0.2) causing the issue but I'll have levels for most of the configurations by then.

I've spoken to a few fabricators and most would rather build a whole new system than try to modify one that's pre-made due to fitment issues and quality control, the cost would be very similar. There's space to enlarge the silencers on the back of the catback, a 3x increase in volume should drop the noise by 5db, then add an inline silencer similar to Nameless' 0.2 pipe. It's also been suggested to try heat-wrapping the manifold but I don't want to risk cracking it.

Had so many other companies offer me components to try instead but I always wanted this to be a "Cosworth" car and not a shopping list of parts

I know this thread is more for the SC kits, weighing it up now it would have been more cost effective just to run a 2.0 setup than going 1.3, but the performance level of the car at 1.3 is exactly what I wanted from the car and I was very happy with it.

Last edited by Steeps; 09-07-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Steeps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steeps For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #834
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
We're still planning what to do with my car, they're paying out to have tests done on all of the components I have so far as we suspect there's an issue with the 0.2 pipe. The cat failed emissions test and the kit is so much louder than it was at 1.1. Had to remove the manifold to put a factory cat in to pass mandatory emissions testing. Both my catbacks 0.1 were matching eachother with noise (88db static) and currently running 1.2 the noise is higher than the suggested 93db static (2ft away 45' angle 3/4 revs)

I get the feeling Nameless knew there was an issue with the noise of the midpipe once manufacturing started as they now use a different design in their kits with a long silencer fitted: https://shop.namelessperformance.com...rpipe-brz-frs/

I'm going to try the car with just the manifold (0.3) fitted, then add the catback (0.1) and noise test again. If the noise levels are reasonable then I'll know if it's the frontpipe (0.2) causing the issue but I'll have levels for most of the configurations by then.

I've spoken to a few fabricators and most would rather build a whole new system than try to modify one that's pre-made due to fitment issues and quality control, the cost would be very similar. There's space to enlarge the silencers on the back of the catback, a 3x increase in volume should drop the noise by 5db, then add an inline silencer similar to Nameless' 0.2 pipe. It's also been suggested to try heat-wrapping the manifold but I don't want to risk cracking it.

Had so many other companies offer me components to try instead but I always wanted this to be a "Cosworth" car and not a shopping list of parts

I know this thread is more for the SC kits, weighing it up now it would have been more cost effective just to run a 2.0 setup than going 1.3, but the performance level of the car at 1.3 is exactly what I wanted from the car and I was very happy with it.
I, too, wish the Nameless/ Cosworth exhaust was still available. But I'm just going to make a bastard exhaust and see if Matt@Cosworth could tweak a 1.3 set up.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #835
TDS

Sorry for the delayed reply. Just to let you know. When we started to add the Stage 1.2 and Stage 1.3, the Stage 1.2 Cosworth pipe was no longer available so we ordered the Nameless 3" downpipe with Helmholtz resonator. So that is not the answer to the noise problem. I was wondering about replacing the silencer with a FlowMaster 943050 50 Delta flow w/ 3.0" center in/out. I have the old silencer, so I could make the flanges/pipes to weld to it. In fact, I think the silencer should be about 1/4" to 1/2" longer than standard. We almost had to force it together. Probably be a winter project after we put the car in storage. We are not installing the super charger till next spring too. Good luck- keep me posted
The Following User Says Thank You to TDS For This Useful Post:
weederr33 (09-18-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #836
Insurme1

Matt@Cosworth,
I've notice my header has slightly melted one of my fan shrouds and slightly the bottom of the air cleaner. Curious if having the header coated with Swain ceramic would make a difference over the Nameless ceramic?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:36 AM   #837
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insurme1 View Post
Matt@Cosworth,
I've notice my header has slightly melted one of my fan shrouds and slightly the bottom of the air cleaner. Curious if having the header coated with Swain ceramic would make a difference over the Nameless ceramic?
I had heard about this happening, too. But mostly to the folks who tracked their cars. So it would be interesting to know if the Swain coating would work better....

Alternatively, you could put some high-temp reflective tape on the bottom of the intake box/ resonator. Though I cannot comment on the melting of the fan shrouds.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Insurme1 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #838
Insurme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I had heard about this happening, too. But mostly to the folks who tracked their cars. So it would be interesting to know if the Swain coating would work better....

Alternatively, you could put some high-temp reflective tape on the bottom of the intake box/ resonator. Though I cannot comment on the melting of the fan shrouds.
The fan shroud is a much bigger issue. I also believe this header heats the engine oil significantly as well.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #839
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
The fan shroud is a much bigger issue. I also believe this header heats the engine oil significantly as well.
When I had my nameless headers on my FRS, I never saw any fan shrouds melting. But I never tracked it. I will agree the headers to heat up pretty hot, and given they wrap up and over, that puts heat in vulnerable areas. I would be curious if another coating company can provide better cooling.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
Old 09-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #840
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Matt@Cosworth,

I've had no experience with this coating and to be honest I'd be surprised if if made much of a difference as it looks very similar to the Nameless stuff
you're probably better off fitting a beatrush undertray as this lowers engine bay temps significantly
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt@Cosworth For This Useful Post:
Insurme1 (10-02-2017)