follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
kilrb

Drives: '13 Black BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Multiple text notification hell!

If this has been covered previously, I haven't run into it through my searches... I have a Galaxy S3, and it's connected via Bluetooth to my BRZ. When I first got the BRZ, the text message function worked perfectly well. Now however, when a text comes in, I get an alert for every text that's on my phone; old and new. So, if I have 10 text conversations sitting on my phone, and someone responds to me, I have to wait for the car to tell me 10 times that I have a new text message. Am I doing something wrong???
kilrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilrb View Post
If this has been covered previously, I haven't run into it through my searches... I have a Galaxy S3, and it's connected via Bluetooth to my BRZ. When I first got the BRZ, the text message function worked perfectly well. Now however, when a text comes in, I get an alert for every text that's on my phone; old and new. So, if I have 10 text conversations sitting on my phone, and someone responds to me, I have to wait for the car to tell me 10 times that I have a new text message. Am I doing something wrong???
Why would anyone want their car telling them when they got a new text???? Turn your ringer up or just put the phone in airplane mode. Some people stay too connected.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
hobojoker

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Funny, I have a s3 and mine has only ever once registered that I received a text, let alone multiple or helped me respond...
hobojoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
kilrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
Why would anyone want their car telling them when they got a new text???? Turn your ringer up or just put the phone in airplane mode. Some people stay too connected.
I didn't invent the feature; Subaru (or Toyota) did. The default setting for a bluetooth connection notifies you when a text comes in. The Nav voice says "You have a new text message", and then you can hit a button on the Nav screen to ignore or read it. If you hit read, the car reads it out loud. I'm not worried about "staying too connected." I really don't need the feature, but I just don't like the fact that my car isn't functioning correctly. For now, I've turned it off...
Old 04-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilrb View Post
I really don't need the feature, but I just don't like the fact that my car isn't functioning correctly. For now, I've turned it off...
Problem solved. Haha. No disrespect I just can't believe someone would want that to happen. I hide my damn phone in my bag when I am in the car or throw it on the backseat.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
kilrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
Problem solved. Haha. No disrespect I just can't believe someone would want that to happen. I hide my damn phone in my bag when I am in the car or throw it on the backseat.
I hear you, man. This is a driver's car, not a telecommunications device.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
BRZNutt

Drives: 2014 DGM Subaru Impreza 2.0i 5 Door
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I can only get the text to voice feature to work the very first time I connect my phone (HTC One) to the car. After I shut the car down and start it back up, it no longer notifies me if I have a text. When I hit the "retrieve text" button, it just sits there until it times out and say "messages can't be retrieved" If I completely disconnect and remove the phone from the radio and then re-connect from scratch it works, but only once. Any ideas?

I actually like this feature because my wife notoriously texts me when I am driving. I would like to be able to reply with the radio for her to call me. I leave my phone in my pocket when I drive.