follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2021, 04:58 PM   #1
kaitak98

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clutch pedal not coming up all the way

I searched and didn't see any threads with this problem. Today when I got to work I stopped at the gate to show my ID. When pulling away the clutch engaged but the pedal only came up a couple of inches. I pulled it back with my toe and now it comes up all the way but seems slightly weak. I also noticed a whining noise that I don't think was there before with the windows open and the car in neutral with the clutch out.

Any idea what might have happened? I've read everything from master and slave cylinder to throw out bearing.

I'm almost hoping it's the throw out bearing. When I had the car in for the valve spring recall the dealer suggested doing the TOB "while we're in there". When I picked up the car they told me the part never got replaced and nobody noticed until they had the whole job buttoned up. So they said if anything went wrong that could have been prevented by replacing the part they would take care of it. It's in writing on the repair order. So we'll see.

Thx-

Tom
kaitak98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
Ignore Your Doctor

Drives: 2015 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
100% throw out bearing, get to it now before it damages your flywheel and clutch.

I had exact same issue last weekend and drove the car home (~50 miles) and when the tob failed literally in my driveway I got hot spots and hairline cracks on my flywheel and pressure plate. Car is currently getting a new clutch, tob, and fork
Ignore Your Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
kaitak98

Ugh. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2021, 05:25 PM   #4
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitak98 View Post
Ugh. Thx.

If you run hard I suggest replacing the fork and pivot too with the Verus units

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:11 AM   #5
kaitak98

Clutch pedal not coming up all the way

I watched a couple YouTube videos and the noise is def the same as the cars with bad TOBs. Headed to the dealer tomo. It will be a total of about 20 miles so hopefully no additional damage. I’m hoping for a loaner since I have to work the next 3 days. Uber would get pricy. The notes on the work order when they didn’t replace the bearings are below. I’m counting on them doing the right thing.

Edit for typos

Last edited by kaitak98; 10-09-2021 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:47 PM   #6
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I have a verus pivot for sale if want it OP. Brand new.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #7
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I'm almost hoping it's the throw out bearing. When I had the car in for the valve spring recall the dealer suggested doing the TOB "while we're in there". When I picked up the car they told me the part never got replaced and nobody noticed until they had the whole job buttoned up. So they said if anything went wrong that could have been prevented by replacing the part they would take care of it. It's in writing on the repair order. So we'll see.

Same thing happened to me a week ago.
Driving along, stepped on the clutch, shifted into second gear and the clutch stayed on the floor. So I drove home in second gear.
Removed the transmission and sure as shit the TOB was completely destroyed. I happened to have a spare TOB on hand and replaced it. I didn't even look at the clutch, I'm sure it's fine. Spent a few hours trying to reinstall the transmission by myself. No luck. Next day had a friend help for a few hours. Still no luck. It just would not go the last inch.
I was so sore from doing a thousand squats trying to get it in I took three days off to recover. I didn't even want to look at the car again.
Today tried it with another stronger friend and we struggled with it for an hour. Finally pulled the tranny back out to see what the problem is. No problems. So we tried it again. While he pushed and shook the thing, I rotated the crank. It finally went in.

Hallelujah!!

Time for a beer. Or many.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:47 PM   #8
kaitak98

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post

Same thing happened to me a week ago.
Driving along, stepped on the clutch, shifted into second gear and the clutch stayed on the floor. So I drove home in second gear.
Removed the transmission and sure as shit the TOB was completely destroyed. I happened to have a spare TOB on hand and replaced it. I didn't even look at the clutch, I'm sure it's fine. Spent a few hours trying to reinstall the transmission by myself. No luck. Next day had a friend help for a few hours. Still no luck. It just would not go the last inch.
I was so sore from doing a thousand squats trying to get it in I took three days off to recover. I didn't even want to look at the car again.
Today tried it with another stronger friend and we struggled with it for an hour. Finally pulled the tranny back out to see what the problem is. No problems. So we tried it again. While he pushed and shook the thing, I rotated the crank. It finally went in.

Hallelujah!!

Time for a beer. Or many.

Nothing like a few cold ones after a tough job. In my reading on this issue I saw something about supporting the front of the engine at just the right angle to get the trans on and off.

The Following User Says Thank You to kaitak98 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-10-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #9
kaitak98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
I have a verus pivot for sale if want it OP. Brand new.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

The dealer is going to start the work Tues so no time I’m afraid. Prob wouldn’t use outside parts either. Thx though.

Old 10-10-2021, 01:16 AM   #10
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Nothing like a few cold ones after a tough job. In my reading on this issue I saw something about supporting the front of the engine at just the right angle to get the trans on and off.

Good research, there, kaitak98 -

Iffen ol @WNDSRFR had paid attention to ol @Ultramaroon 's post a ways back, about lifting the front of the engine, he wouldn't be as sore as he was.

Maybe a picture would help. I believe the fellow with the big gut, in the maroon shirt is ol Ultramaroon. The fellow with the white shirt and the stach and the fishing cap is the now AWOL @Tcoat. The other two guys just stopped by for a beer -
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 02:09 AM   #11
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I'll just leave this here for future reference. https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135100

Old 10-10-2021, 08:12 AM   #12
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

That is absolutely the secret. The engine and transmission have to be lined up exactly. I actually jacked the engine up too high. While under the car I noticed the airbox was broken. The airbox is fixed to the car and raising the engine broke it.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:55 PM   #13
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I'll just leave this here for future reference. https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135100

I had not seen this previously, but this is the same method I came up with for controlling the tilt of the engine, when I did my clutch last week, because I was being too lazy to spend 3 minutes removing the under tray.

Great minds something something.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-12-2021), Ultramaroon (10-10-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 12:02 AM   #14
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
I had not seen this previously, but this is the same method I came up with for controlling the tilt of the engine, when I did my clutch last week, because I was being too lazy to spend 3 minutes removing the under tray.

Great minds something something.
Works like a charm!