follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #15
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Drives: 2013 FRS LS1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniepster View Post
Well then I guess I shall drop the gearbox soon, also gives me a chance to inspect the clutch, see what's what.

Do you guys recommend the reinforced fork or a new OEM one?
VERUS. Period. It's stout:

OEM is top, VERUS bottom.
ACT Clutches - APEXi - Buddy Club - Carbing - DBA - Diode Dynamics - Fidanza - HKS - ICT Performance - Project Kics - RPM Transmissions - SEIBON - Sikky Manufacturing - SPC - Tick Performance - TK Style - VERUS - VOLK - Whiteline
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomm For This Useful Post:
Sniepster (02-12-2021), Tcoat (02-12-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #16
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,114 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Any ideas on how TOB improvements made to 17+ cars effects durability?

60k range seems to be normal for 13-16.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:36 AM   #17
Sniepster

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
VERUS. Period. It's stout:

OEM is top, VERUS bottom.
Thanks for the input.

I'll be getting an all-verus kit (bearing, fork and pivot). But maybe in a month or so...
Sniepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:56 AM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
It is definitely going to fail if it's original. May as well change it now on your terms rather than have it fail and be stranded.
I have a QUESTION.
Has anyone had a failure on the new replacement TOB yet? And if so, how long did it last?
Yes. The guy that bought my FRS had the "new" one fail. The first one (above) went at about 40,000 miles. The replacement lasted around 100,000 miles.
I am not 100% sure that the dealer used an updated part number when they replaced it though. Even then 100,000 miles is pretty good.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

I'll be getting an all-verus kit (bearing, fork and pivot). But maybe in a month or so...
I can not say this enough. If you are driving the car and the bearing has started making noise change it now. Waiting "a month or so" was the mistake I made and it cost me a pile of money.
humfrz (02-12-2021), milanojess (02-12-2021), Sniepster (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 12:06 PM   #20
Sniepster

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I can not say this enough. If you are driving the car and the bearing has started making noise change it now. Waiting "a month or so" was the mistake I made and it cost me a pile of money.
The car is sitting right this time a year as the weather is shit. But since I have a track day booked next month I am worried some hard driving is gonna destroy it. Guess I'll be ordering the parts very soon..
Sniepster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sniepster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #21
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This is good advice. Once it starts to go, it’s inevitable. It’s not going to magically fix itself. Change it and minimize the damage.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:12 PM   #22
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Mine went right at 50k. Talk about superior Subaru reliability lol. Glad I sold my car
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #23
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I had mine replaced when I had the recall done along with a new clutch at 40K miles. To add insult to injury when the motor went, I tried to drive it home then the fork went in the middle of the freeway during traffic hour. The morons at Irvine Toyota not only ruined the motor but didn't tighten the fork enough. I replaced it with the Verus when I had the new motor installed by HG Performance in San Marcos. Their tech there, Dylan is Zach Tuckers roommate and knows the FA20 like nobody else so any work you need in So Cal that is the place
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:22 PM   #24
NtSoDirtySanchz

Drives: 2013 CBS BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mine started roughly around 69K. It started with just a slight grinding noise whenever I pressed the clutch. I dealt with it for a month and a half until it finally made a huge clunk noise about 1 mile from home (around 72k miles). I was able to limp it home but I could smell the toasted bearing. Got it replaced that following week at the dealership with the updated bearing along with a new clutch, flywheel and other stuff I didn’t feel like doing at the time. Cost about 1300.
NtSoDirtySanchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:29 PM   #25
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
Mine went right at 50k. Talk about superior Subaru reliability lol. Glad I sold my car
are you that bored?
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #26
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
The car is sitting right this time a year as the weather is shit. But since I have a track day booked next month I am worried some hard driving is gonna destroy it. Guess I'll be ordering the parts very soon..
Hows it going sniepster, theres some good info in here so far and some bad. I just changed a tob and clutch on my '13 at 45k miles a month or two ago. Heres what you need to know.

Buy the revised tob that has the white paint dot on it from verus engineering . Com. Do not bother with an upgraded clutch fork or pivot bearing if you are continuing to use the oem clutch. The Stronger fork is for use with an upgraded clutch with a much stiffer pressure plate. Thats the only case in which the oe fork would break. The OEM clutch you want to buy is part #30100AA870. That's what came with your car and it is perfect. Im still using it while supercharged. Reuse your existing pressure plate and flywheel.

My clutch/ tob replacement cost me about $450. 125 for the clutch disc. 40$ for the tob. $200 for labor (I have a friend who is a mechanic by trade who drifts a turbo frs who did it on a Saturday.) 60$ for new diff/trans fluid( do not use motul, it is "performance" and does not make great daily driver fluid, takes too long to warm up, shorter lifespan, doesnt like cold weather)
Do not get suckered into buying things you believe will make your car better but end up making it worse, ie, act performance clutch kit.

Do it soon, my clutch was hanging on by a thread, any longer and it would have started destroying my flywheel. Also, if you replace the tob now, you wont have to replace your output shaft. I might have another brief summary on my build thread, I'm not sure. Google the output shaft, that's all I got for u today.
pope (02-12-2021), Tcoat (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #27
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
Hows it going sniepster, theres some good info in here so far and some bad. I just changed a tob and clutch on my '13 at 45k miles a month or two ago. Heres what you need to know.

Buy the revised tob that has the white paint dot on it from verus engineering . Com. Do not bother with an upgraded clutch fork or pivot bearing if you are continuing to use the oem clutch. The Stronger fork is for use with an upgraded clutch with a much stiffer pressure plate. Thats the only case in which the oe fork would break. The OEM clutch you want to buy is part #30100AA870. That's what came with your car and it is perfect. Im still using it while supercharged. Reuse your existing pressure plate and flywheel.

My clutch/ tob replacement cost me about $450. 125 for the clutch disc. 40$ for the tob. $200 for labor (I have a friend who is a mechanic by trade who drifts a turbo frs who did it on a Saturday.) 60$ for new diff/trans fluid( do not use motul, it is "performance" and does not make great daily driver fluid, takes too long to warm up, shorter lifespan, doesnt like cold weather)
Do not get suckered into buying things you believe will make your car better but end up making it worse, ie, act performance clutch kit.

Do it soon, my clutch was hanging on by a thread, any longer and it would have started destroying my flywheel. Also, if you replace the tob now, you wont have to replace your output shaft. I might have another brief summary on my build thread, I'm not sure. Google the output shaft, that's all I got for u today.
I hope you meant input shaft! If your bearing goes so bad it damages the output shaft then everything in between would be toast as well.

Even with my major meltdown my input shaft was pristine.
HaXx (02-13-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #28
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
The TOB is a wear item, not just how many miles but more important haw it is used.
Do you keep the clutch depressed while waiting at a stop light? That will heat it. Do you shift often or are you on a highway most of the time? Are you running events and hard shifting. Do you ride with your left foot on the pedal?
All these thing contribute to heat and "wearing" out.
Some of my antique cars have graphite TOBs. Very poor life compared to the new ones.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote