follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Shizuma

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rear seat removal?

Has anyone taken out their rear seat of their car, specifically the part attached to the floor? If so how did it come out, are there any bolts, does it just pop into place?

I'm trying find out because I have a set of 12" subs that I took out of my Dodge Magnum when I traded it in and I want to put them in my BRZ, however with the trunk being so small and the depth of the trunk being less than the diameter of the subs I don't think the trunk is feasible without losing basically the entire trunk, however since the back seats are virtually useless since there is zero leg room and they seem to dip down pretty low below where the folded back access to the trunk i'm thinking I may be able to build a custom box to put the subs where the back seats are and still be able to open the back into the trunk for when I need to carry large items.
Shizuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Zadkiel

Drives: CBS BRZ Limited 6MT
I'd be concerned that it might mess accidently trigger the rear seat airbag. That or somehow adversely affect normal opperation. I don't know how rear seats and the like are integrated like that in a modern vehicle. Makes me miss my 240. You could strip that thing out without a care in the world. No airbags anywhere.
Zadkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
sure74

Drives: 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Haven't taken them out but looks like there is one totally exposed bolt per seat bottom and they should just slide out.
sure74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Shizuma

Well I wouldn't worry about the rear seat airbags personally because the subwoofers don't need airbags

Yeah, the rain just finally let up so I was able to go out and take a look and saw that one bolt there, if that's it that will make it nice and easy, just gotta check to see if there is enough depth for my subs, which I need just under 8" if I make the boxes out of 3/4" MDF again, maybe 7" if I go fiberglass, so i'm guessing it'll either fit like a glove, or be a hair too tall.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
the_3d_man

Drives: 2007 Legacy GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just buy a couple of good 10"s and build new speaker boxes. Problem solved. 12"s in this car is ridiculous anyway.
the_3d_man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_3d_man For This Useful Post:
Turbowned (06-14-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The trunk is actually quite deep. There's a large foam tray under the "floor" containing the spare tire and a bunch of jack tools. But a LOT of foam. I haven't researched it, but I'd think you could remove the spare and foam tray and tools and dynamat the metal floor, giving you a lot of space for subs and an amp. Just an idea.

I don't run a spare tire in my other car, and if you pull the spare, no need for the jack and tools either.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Shizuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_3d_man View Post
Just buy a couple of good 10"s and build new speaker boxes. Problem solved. 12"s in this car is ridiculous anyway.
Blasphemy! No car is too Small for a pair of 12" subs :p

Either way though I already have $1300 worth of speakers + amp from my Magnum, so it makes no sense to buy new stuff if I can make my current setup work in the BRZ.

I thought about removing the spare to possibly put the subs there, but i'd really like to have it available just in case. And there would have to be a whole lot of foam to put a 12" in without eating up a lot of the trunk/taking out the spare, even the 10" sub box I've seen for the BRZ they had to angle the sub quite a bit to fit in in the shallow trunk height. And since the back seats are 100% useless why not make use of that spot, as much as Subaru wants to call the BRZ a 2+2 it's really just a 2 seater with a storage area behind the front seats, I honestly wonder if they did it strictly for insurance reasons or vehicle classification or something because there's no value added with those "rear seats".
Old 06-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Sushi Boy

Drives: Japanese
false floor would be sick making it look like you just have your rear seats folded..
Sushi Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Shizuma

This is a real rough image of what i'm thinking of doing, so the top of the box would have a layer for acoustically transparent fabric so the subs wouldn't be visible and the top of the box would be flush with the center hump so the back seat could still fold flat when needed, also I would put speaker grills over the speakers but under the fabric so I can put stuff back there without worrying about damaging the subs.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Shizuma For This Useful Post:
mechaghost (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
sure74

Drives: 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
I honestly wonder if they did it strictly for insurance reasons or vehicle classification or something because there's no value added with those "rear seats".
My 2yo rides back there quite comfortably. I wouldn't have bought the car otherwise.
sure74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
Shizuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sure74 View Post
My 2yo rides back there quite comfortably. I wouldn't have bought the car otherwise.
True, a childs seat does fit back there, but I bet 99% of the people buying a brz/fr-s don't have carying a baby/young child around in a car seat in their mind as it's not a family friendly car.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
aethelwulf

Drives: 05 Sti 20g'd
Quote:
as much as Subaru wants to call the BRZ a 2+2 it's really just a 2 seater with a storage area behind the front seats, I honestly wonder if they did it strictly for insurance reasons or vehicle classification or something because there's no value added with those "rear seats".
That's kind of what a 2+2 is... S14, 944, etc. all have pretty similar back seat situations to the BRZ and there have been plenty of people that have shown it's possible to get people back there in a pinch. Sure, it's not the best place to be, but it can be done.
aethelwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
Shizuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by aethelwulf View Post
That's kind of what a 2+2 is... S14, 944, etc. all have pretty similar back seat situations to the BRZ and there have been plenty of people that have shown it's possible to get people back there in a pinch. Sure, it's not the best place to be, but it can be done.
It seems virtually imposible to me, as i'm 5'-8" which while tall for a woman really isn't that tall in general, I would bet almost all the guys driving the car are my height or taller than me, with the seat adjusted for me there is only 1" between the front seat and back seat, too small for anyones legs to fit back there, now I could possibly see if you squish the person in the passanger's seat you could squeeze someone in the back on that side, but the drivers side? I don't see it as possible unless the driver is a really short woman around 5'-0"
Old 06-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
It seems virtually imposible to me, as i'm 5'-8" which while tall for a woman really isn't that tall in general, I would bet almost all the guys driving the car are my height or taller than me, with the seat adjusted for me there is only 1" between the front seat and back seat, too small for anyones legs to fit back there, now I could possibly see if you squish the person in the passanger's seat you could squeeze someone in the back on that side, but the drivers side? I don't see it as possible unless the driver is a really short woman around 5'-0"
I got a friend that was about 220 pounds and 6 foot with another 6 foot guy around 130 pounds behind him.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote