follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #1
misterfly

Drives: Toyota 86 2017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Michelin Pilot sport as/4

Hello canadian friend ,

i want to know if anyone have tried Michelin pilot sport as/4 , im road the car from 1may to 1 october and im searching great tire for spirit driving with cost effective and i find this one attractive but i want feedback from canadian , we know here sometime the weather can be special.

Thank
misterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:19 AM   #2
Westen86
Purist

Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
If you dont drive the car in snow and only want the "all-season" as a precaution, the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 is the best UHP (Ultra High Performance) all-season tire money can buy. If you plan to drive in the snow, I would lean toward something more all-season focused.

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #3
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfly View Post
Hello canadian friend ,

i want to know if anyone have tried Michelin pilot sport as/4 , im road the car from 1may to 1 october and im searching great tire for spirit driving with cost effective and i find this one attractive but i want feedback from canadian , we know here sometime the weather can be special.

Thank
I have them for the first time this year. Have had the frs for 9 years and many different tires. These are by far the best so far
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #4
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Don’t hesitate to consider the Continental Extreme Contact.
It’s not an A/S tire but will be superior for the driving you describe.
They’re excellent in the rain and less pricy than Michelin.
I’ll be ordering more when mine need replacement.
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:04 AM   #5
misterfly

Drives: Toyota 86 2017
Thanks for all your comment , i will check your suggestion
misterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:02 AM   #6
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka800 View Post
Don’t hesitate to consider the Continental Extreme Contact.
It’s not an A/S tire but will be superior for the driving you describe.
They’re excellent in the rain and less pricy than Michelin.
I’ll be ordering more when mine need replacement.
Ive used Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 because we get snow here, and they're an amazing tire in the snow.

They're also softer (not sure if the summer only version is the same) so the ride is less stiff, which may also be a benefit (its noticeable when we made the switch. Our X1 came stock on Bridgestone Potenzas, and the DWS has a much softer sidewall. We switched cuz we needed the winter capabilities, and didnt want to get a 2nd set of winters at the time). I think the resulting performance limits of the tire isnt as high but they're still really good. I have used the older DWS in the past in a track environment and they held up and performed well from what i remember.

Ive also got Michelin Pilot sport 4 on my 86 (oem). Havent really pushed it since i have not driven in any scenario to push it yet.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #7
nocwage
MMTT

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfly View Post
Hello canadian friend ,

Thank
Literally bought AS/4 so I could lap on cold days when the RE71R or Rt660 would be dangerous to drive.
They are magnificent All Season tires, I would say even better than the "summer" Primacy, they handled the track great as long as you don't stay out too long and start melting them.

I would highly recommend.
nocwage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #8
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
I'm thinking of swapping out the OEMs for the AS4's right away if I get a GR86 or BRZ, and using them year round. I can avoid driving when there is any significant snow on the ground so they should be fine for getting me through the winter - there is little snow in Toronto these days anyways.

Not sure how to unload the OEM tires though, maybe dealer will buy them?
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #9
Sport-Tech

Would it be viable to go with 225s rather than 215s when moving over to the AS4s? I'm thinking this might compensate for most of the grip lost going from summer to AS rubber.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:54 PM   #10
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
I'm thinking of swapping out the OEMs for the AS4's right away if I get a GR86 or BRZ, and using them year round. I can avoid driving when there is any significant snow on the ground so they should be fine for getting me through the winter - there is little snow in Toronto these days anyways.

Not sure how to unload the OEM tires though, maybe dealer will buy them?
You're asking for trouble switching to All seasons. They'll drive like shit in the summer and drive like shit in the winter. Not to mention this car is not a civic. It can be downright dangerous in winter. It's also not always about snow it's about the compound handling the extreme cold temperatures. A winter tire will still be compliant and maintain grip in temperatures that will cause the all season to go as hard as a puck.

You bought/will buy a sports car to enjoy its driving dynamics, throwing on all seasons will just handicap you year round.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:29 AM   #11
Sport-Tech

All seasons are a lot better they used to be. The AS4s get very favourable reviews. And as Matt Farah of Smoking Tire says in his video review posted today, this car is a lot of fun with less grippy rubber, he prefers the Primacies over the PS4s.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:52 PM   #12
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
All seasons are a lot better they used to be. The AS4s get very favourable reviews. And as Matt Farah of Smoking Tire says in his video review posted today, this car is a lot of fun with less grippy rubber, he prefers the Primacies over the PS4s.
Yes they are better than before but that still doesn’t mean they’re on par with dedicated summer tires. I hated the primacies after the novelty wore off in a month. It’s frankly quite embarrassing to have the rear wheels kick out on a simple right/left hand turn during day to day driving. They were fun to hoon around on and wore like iron. 200tw tires made the car feel like a modern serious sports car finally.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:20 PM   #13
Tatsu333

Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Quote:
Would it be viable to go with 225s rather than 215s when moving over to the AS4s? I'm thinking this might compensate for most of the grip lost going from summer to AS rubber.
Absolutely. I'm currently running 225/45R-17 Pirelli P Zero All Seasons on my BRZ. I did run them on the stock Sport Tech RS (AKA Performance Pack) 17x7.5" wheels originally, and I have run that size on 17x7" wheels on my previous vehicle with no issues.

I found that it actually corrects the slightly optimistic speedometer readings as well (both in my BRZ and my previous car), where the speedometer matches exactly what shows on those "radar speed signs" when I drive by them.

FWIW to the OP, I also ran these same tires on my previous car AND previously ran the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3's in the same size on the same wheels, and the Michelins definitely felt grippier and more responsive in all dry and wet conditions.

They did produce a bit more road noise and the ride was a bit more jarring over bumpy road surfaces, but the difference in feel was significant enough that I'll be replacing the Pirellis with the current generation Michelins when the time comes.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:35 PM   #14
Tatsu333

Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Quote:
Agreed, particularly because you said you won't be driving it when it snows, so don't need to resort to actual snow tires in the winter.

Here in the BC Lower Mainland, we rarely get snow (maybe 1 or 2 weeks out of the year), but we frequently have rain with daytime temperatures ranging from just above freezing to the low to mid teens (often within the same day) for 4-6 months of the year.

Because of that, a summer tire would only be good for me from about April through September, so running a high performance all season that still works well near freezing is a much better choice for extended enjoyment of my car without having to switch between THREE sets throughout the year (never mind storing them!). On my previous car I ran snows for about 2-3 months out of the year, and all seasons the rest of the time, and will be doing that with my BRZ as well.

The Michelin Pilot Sport all season range worked great for me in the past (I ran AS/3's), and I would highly recommend them. I wouldn't even necessarily categorize them as "less grippy" either. FWIW, Tire Rack has reviewed them as being pretty close to some of the best summer tires for dry and wet performance.