follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #29
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
see the problem with most of these threads and why they become flame wars is that the OP's are never knowledgeable guys with experience and an established plan coming in and sharing their project with us. It's always the hey guys I heard there was a swap kit so if they made a ls1 kit they surely make one for every other engine right? also since it's a kit it will cost only the price of the kit and not anything else right? It's a kit so it's drop in no fab work required no?

If the people starting these threads had actually done some research and at least knew a bit about what they were planning to swap for, what their goals are, their budget, etc. As it stands they mostly are in the same category as I'm gonna put a CAI in my civic and gain 50hp crowd.

I mean before buying my brz I was considering a swap for my lexus is300, I had it down to 2 engines, had established most of the supporting/fabrication parts (was a 2 page list of parts with prices and where to buy them as well as some quotes from shops around my area for the work I couldn't do myself, was around 10k Canadian for parts and most of the labor if I shopped my parts around and wasn't pressed in time for my part fab) needed to complete the work as well as an estimate on labor costs and tons of info on the swap process.

If these guys had half of the info I mentioned above then these threads wouldn't turn into giant flame sessions
The short version of what you said:

If the OP has to ask if it can be done, the short answer is "Not by you, but feel free to prove me wrong"

Overall, the FRS looks like pretty fertile ground for most engine swaps if you really want to make them happen. Tape measures are relatively easy to figure out, and usually the best place to start when considering any swap.

The other thing I have learned is that I would not undertake any engine swap project with less than a $15,000 budget. That would be doing it myself.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
fumanchu1 (03-22-2016), MrFisty (03-22-2016), Tcoat (04-01-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #30
JeRM

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to JeRM
Quote:
see the problem with most of these threads and why they become flame wars is that the OP's are never knowledgeable guys with experience and an established plan coming in and sharing their project with us. It's always the hey guys I heard there was a swap kit so if they made a ls1 kit they surely make one for every other engine right? also since it's a kit it will cost only the price of the kit and not anything else right? It's a kit so it's drop in no fab work required no?

If the people starting these threads had actually done some research and at least knew a bit about what they were planning to swap for, what their goals are, their budget, etc. As it stands they mostly are in the same category as I'm gonna put a CAI in my civic and gain 50hp crowd.

I mean before buying my brz I was considering a swap for my lexus is300, I had it down to 2 engines, had established most of the supporting/fabrication parts (was a 2 page list of parts with prices and where to buy them as well as some quotes from shops around my area for the work I couldn't do myself, was around 10k Canadian for parts and most of the labor if I shopped my parts around and wasn't pressed in time for my part fab) needed to complete the work as well as an estimate on labor costs and tons of info on the swap process.

If these guys had half of the info I mentioned above then these threads wouldn't turn into giant flame sessions
Thanks for your OPINIONS, but save it for Dr. Phil.

Appreciate the responses from those who contributed. If you referred to the link the company and kit are aimed at brz/frs drivers, and also include the pricing.

Base package - 3750
Complete - 8000
In house installation - 5000

Enough with the lectures and sounding like hipocrits. Come to my thread and lecture me like I'm clueless, yet you don't even refer to my link to see the pricing!

I have my car, I have my engine with high mileage, I have financial stability to afford the swap. All I wanted to see is if there was better information on automatic swaps. Good lord!

P.S.
I prefer the LS1 kit over V6, I just didn't mind seeing if there was anything interesting done out there that may be several thousand cheaper.
JeRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #31
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
You don't even know what engine is in a Camaro and you want a swap that is the definition of unknowledgable and that says it all to me, but hey if you don't want to listen to warnings/reason from people who have done these kinds of projects and just want opinions to reinforce what you want to do already, then fine use the SEARCH function and find your info yourself .

K bye now
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #32
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRM View Post

Appreciate the responses from those who contributed. If you referred to the link the company and kit are aimed at brz/frs drivers, and also include the pricing.

Base package - 3750
Complete - 8000
In house installation - 5000

Enough with the lectures and sounding like hipocrits. Come to my thread and lecture me like I'm clueless, yet you don't even refer to my link to see the pricing!

Have you even looked in to the reputation of the company you linked and their overall products? Just curious.....
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #33
wutsaiu

Drives: 2015 Raven V8
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
$8000 for a kit? + $5000 for installation? + thousands for engine and transmission?

Just do it yourself.
Buy whatever tools/parts you need.
Learn whatever you have to.
You'll spend half as much money and have something built by your own hands to be proud of.
wutsaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wutsaiu For This Useful Post:
Jaden (11-17-2018)
Old 03-31-2016, 07:59 PM   #34
JeRM

Quote:
You don't even know what engine is in a Camaro and you want a swap that is the definition of unknowledgable and that says it all to me, but hey if you don't want to listen to warnings/reason from people who have done these kinds of projects and just want opinions to reinforce what you want to do already, then fine use the SEARCH function and find your info yourself .

K bye now
Blow me.

LT1 and LS1. Big difference in names! Oh, want to feel a little better? It was a 1993 Camaro too, not a 1996. I screwed up the engine and year, I must be the most unknowledgable person you've ever met. Do me a favor and unsub my thread.

All these flavors and you choose to be salty. Flame on.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:07 PM   #35
JeRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Have you even looked in to the reputation of the company you linked and their overall products? Just curious.....
I have not bothered digging into the company reputation as of yet, because I've only skimmed the surface on this project. Without any knowledge of the company, I'd like to think they would be reputable seeing that they offer such a kit package.

To be honest I was raised hearing that lawyers and mechanics are the guys you can't trust. So, of course I'll be looking into any business I lean toward putting my money with.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #36
fumanchu1

^In other words please cookie cutter feed me the info I need
Old 04-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #37
JeRM

Quote:
^In other words please cookie cutter feed me the info I need
I asked nothing about the feedback of the business I referred to. Please get out of my thread too. Jesus
Old 04-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #38
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
I have not bothered digging into the company reputation as of yet, because I've only skimmed the surface on this project. Without any knowledge of the company, I'd like to think they would be reputable seeing that they offer such a kit package.

To be honest I was raised hearing that lawyers and mechanics are the guys you can't trust. So, of course I'll be looking into any business I lean toward putting my money with.

Yeah....do some research.... especially on their current product / wiring harnesses and feedback.

Google is your friend.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #39
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Is there any info online regarding a swap for LS1 like this?

Yes. And many here told you it was a bad plan. You choose to get smart.

Quote:

You asked for opinions you got them. If they were not what you wanted to hear too bad.
Not sure you understand what hypocrite means. Nobody else here asked about a swap and then turned on the people that replied.

Oh and this is a public forum so this is not "your thread" and anybody that wishes may read and respond.
FT911 (06-22-2016), fumanchu1 (04-01-2016), MrFisty (04-01-2016), SoCal80six (04-13-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #40
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Old 04-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #41
fumanchu1

That's racist ROFL (him not you)
Old 04-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #42
MrFisty
The Fistiest

Drives: 2013 Argento FR-S
Quote:
Blow me.

LT1 and LS1. Big difference in names! Oh, want to feel a little better? It was a 1993 Camaro too, not a 1996. I screwed up the engine and year, I must be the most unknowledgable person you've ever met. Do me a favor and unsub my thread.

All these flavors and you choose to be salty. Flame on.
You done gone and done it now.

Bai.

Tags
automatic, fr-s, ls1, lt1-ls1bigdifference, nocluebutspoonfeedme, swap