follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #365
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I installed mine this morning using the grimmspeed gaskets...its not leaking externally but may be leaking between the cylinders. I already filed my warranty claim with Borla so I'm not too worried.

On a positive note, the exhaust sounds AWESOME!! I'm running full Perrin header back with hi flow cat and resonated Catback. The header makes it sound nice and deep and like a Subaru should sound. I have an hour scheduled on the dyno tonight with @FA-20Club.com so I'll take a video then and post it so you can hear the setup.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #366
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivsoopra View Post
I have a header with a warped flange too. Currently working with Borla for a replacement.

Just got a reply from the rep @Borla

Quote:
Morning mkivsoopra,

Your Warranty Order #xxxxxxx was processed yesterday. The new headers with updated flanges are being produced and should ship within a week or two.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #367
NoFear99

Drives: FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Good lord that grinding looks terrible, hold up a gasket to it and check if it will seal. Mine will, but just barely. The grinding on your header looks like it will not, but check with a gasket anyways
You are about right, it look terrible... There is no other word that comes to my mind to describe.
- 2002 Bombardier Legend 800SE
Old 04-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #368
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
I feel sorry for you borla guys... I personally would be pissed!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #369
chadstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFRS View Post
I feel sorry for you borla guys... I personally would be pissed!
I would be pissed if they weren't fixing them for us...but they are. I was told I could run mine until the replacement arrives so I could still keep my Dyno appts and get the car tuned for 93/E85. I installed today and not leaking yet..maybe from cylinder to cylinder as mine had a big dip in the middle but hopefully the Grimmspeed gaskets are doing their job.

I am a little pissed about the gaskets...any good exhaust company should supply gaskets with all their parts. Borla provides none at all with the header, not even for the front pipe flange. Now I have to buy gaskets twice. Also, for most people, they will be paying labor twice if they choose to run the header and can't do the install at home.

More than anything it's just bad business to ship parts without performing proper quality control on each and every one. For people buying a header for the first time or buying from Borla for the first time...they will always think "remember that time I bought a header for my BRZ/FRS and Borla shipped me a warped one..." Now it's up to Borla to do something to make up for it for those people that have the problem and make them happy customers once again.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #370
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

I would set their whole building on fire.

Scott
Old 04-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #371
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Warped flanges.... Ok. Happens to a lot of header companies.
Grinding the flanges past where the gasket will seal... That's just rediculous IMO

Maybe they have never seen a set of subaru gaskets before

Either way, a borla rep told me I can wait for the new batch and get a replacement. I'm going to try my "fixed" header in the meantime, but maybe the new batch won't have flanges ground almost completely through
Old 04-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #372
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Got a response from Chris B. @ Borla per my replacement header that's warped and has the same grinding, though not as extreme as @NoFear99

Quote:
The warping in the flanges is due to the heat applied to the metal during the welding process. I can guarantee you that the flanges are machined flat, and are warped during the manufacturing process. If the flanges are too hot when they are removed from the fixtures, it is possible that they can be warped as the header cools. We are modifying the welding process to add a heat sink which will draw heat out of the headers faster during large production runs, and making the obvious change of leaving the headers in the fixtures considerably longer to guarantee the flanges stay flat when they are removed. We are also able to change the method of welding the headers so that the metal will never get as hot as it was originally in the first production run. Combined with intense quality checks to ensure the flatness of the flanges, we are confident that we will be able to eliminate the problem which was present in the first production run.

We have also seen the same pictures regarding the grinding on the flanges and believe that this is just as large of an issue as the bent flanges. The headers in the upcoming run will also be checked to ensure there is adequate surface area for the header to make a good seal every time with no leaks. You will notice that this has been improved significantly on the header you will be receiving soon.
I will begin the Fedex pickup process (on Borla's dime) to have the first two warped headers picked up and shipped back to Borla. If the next one I receive via this warranty claim has any issues at all, I'll be going after a refund from my vendor.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #373
chadstyle

Ran the car on the dyno this evening...the Borla UEL def helps the torque dip. It was a hot and humid day here in South Florida and the car wasn't liking back to back to back runs. My next investment is the oil cooler but thats a whole different thread...

@FA-20Club.com seems to think that headers are the best way on a NA BRZ/FRS to smooth out the dip. Check out my build thread link in my sig for the dyno charts unless FT-86 SpeedFactory says that its ok to post them here. I think the warped flanges have thread jacked him enough.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #374
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
Ran the car on the dyno this evening...the Borla UEL def helps the torque dip. It was a hot and humid day here in South Florida and the car wasn't liking back to back to back runs. My next investment is the oil cooler but thats a whole different thread...

@FA-20Club.com seems to think that headers are the best way on a NA BRZ/FRS to smooth out the dip. Check out my build thread link in my sig for the dyno charts unless FT-86 SpeedFactory says that its ok to post them here. I think the warped flanges have thread jacked him enough.
Post away. We did our best to show how great this header is for the money. Would be nice to see more results of the reduced torque dip from end users.

This header is an amazing purchase for the price. Sure, there are some issues with a some warped flanges on the first production run of the first major release header on this vehicle. Bugs are being worked out and Borla stands behind their product with no hassle replacements.

So, Lets see the chart!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #375
NoFear99

Drives: FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Yesterday I asked Chris at Borla customer service for a header replacement me either.

I'm awaiting his answer at this time..

Will let you know..

EDITED : I got an answer from Chris at Borla tonight and he already gave me a warranty order number for a replacement header once the next production run will be complete in about 2 weeks.

Perfect service for now !
- 2002 Bombardier Legend 800SE

Last edited by NoFear99; 04-10-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #376
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Glad to see these issues being fixed.
NoFear99 (04-11-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #377
LavosTRD
Toyota Master Tech

Drives: Whiteout MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I am seriously starting to lose patience now. I got my THIRD set in yesterday and the flanges are STILL warped and look like a drunk monkey with a grinder put them together. WTF Borla? Get your shit together already and look at it before you send it out.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #378
Tiremonkey0824

Drives: 2013 Argento 6mt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Installed mine last night and everything was almost perfect. The only problem was with the flange that exits the header as it was only welded half way. No biggie, just welded the rest of the flange, took two seconds. The flanges themselves were flat and bolted up perfectly, no leaks. Just a heads up to anybody installing these on an un resonated system: it's LOUD!

Closed Thread