follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old Today, 10:30 AM   #43
James H

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
no dealership or shop is going to touch your car with it being a salvage and from what the shop is saying a poorly repaired salvage car. You need to properly fix your car or pay someone to fix it before anyone will touch it for the recall, this isn't them denying it to deny it this is a shop covering themselves. It sucks but its the nature of a salvage car.

edit: also I am not even sure if you would be eligible for any recall work with a salvage title.

Appears the OP has conveniently overlooked the fact that he paid a much lower price for a salvage title car over a road worthy used car. That is the exact reason why there is a price difference. When one buys a salvage title car, it comes with the understanding that you take the risk of whether you can make it run with less cost thrown in than what you normally paid for a used one. Can't have it both ways.
James H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:46 AM   #44
aemravan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James H View Post
Appears the OP has conveniently overlooked the fact that he paid a much lower price for a salvage title car over a road worthy used car. That is the exact reason why there is a price difference. When one buys a salvage title car, it comes with the understanding that you take the risk of whether you can make it run with less cost thrown in than what you normally paid for a used one. Can't have it both ways.

1) the "exact" reason a salvage title car is "much cheaper" is because it has an outstanding valve spring recall/issue completely unrelated to the cosmetic damage to the car???

2) I'm not overlooking anything at all, if anything, the dealer is "conveniently" using the accident/salvage title as a reason to not take on the risk.

3) I more than fully understand the risks involved with buying/working on a salvage title car. And for the record, the car ran/drove perfectly fine upon receipt. I am also very confident in my mechanical abilities to do the work, not to mention I enjoy it.

4) I can certainly have it both ways, have it running/driving and for less cost. And even with the unexpected mechanical repairs I will still walk away well under market value of a non-salvage car. (not that I am looking to sell/make any money on this, its a long-term vehicle we want for my fiance)

and just to clarify, the reason salvage title cars are "cheaper" to buy is:
1) they still require a lot of time and money to get them on the road, and if you can't do most of the work yourself you'll actually end up spending more than just buying a running car
2) their resale value obviously reflects the fact that they have been involved in an accident.

with that said, i have seen plenty of "clean title" cars that were far from it, having unreported damage/repairs done significantly worse than that of something like what I am restoring.
aemravan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aemravan For This Useful Post:
ermax (Today), Tcoat (Today)
Old Today, 12:15 PM   #45
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Only thing I would add is that -if you decide to tackle the spring repair yourself or have another mechanic do it- then I would strongly recommend using upgraded aftermarket valve springs and Ti retainers instead of the OEM recall-fix units.

The labour cost will be the same, but it will yield some benefits on track.

It could also be cheaper, as OE parts aren't that cheap.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote