follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2015, 10:20 PM   #57
b rawr z

Drives: 2014 BRZ, 2008 Impreza
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So should it be a complete tight seal? Cause that happened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruLifer View Post
It looked really nice until I went to attach the two bolts that hold the box to the car. At that point, it came off most of the way on the driver's side edge. I don't have any extra noise from that though, so I must still have a good enough seal.
b rawr z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #58
SubaruLifer

Drives: 2015 ISM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b rawr z View Post
So should it be a complete tight seal? Cause that happened to me.
You'll hear it if the seal isn't good. When you floor it, it'll get REALLY loud (even at low RPMs). As long as you're not getting that, you should be fine.

That said, I'm considering modifying the install on mine so it can sit more flush with the snorkel. I may rig something up so I don't have to screw the driver's side bolt holding the box to the car in at the stock mounting point.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #59
b rawr z

Drives: 2014 BRZ, 2008 Impreza
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
ill try and see if i can hear anything from the intake (good or bad )but my whole exhaust is too loud to hear it i think. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruLifer View Post
You'll hear it if the seal isn't good. When you floor it, it'll get REALLY loud (even at low RPMs). As long as you're not getting that, you should be fine.
b rawr z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #60
re-animator

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
I wouldn't have expected so many questions to get asked in the DIY thread, sorry guys! As was answered, there is NO problem with the "hungry mouth," and it's been on all of our airboxes. We made a conscious decision not to seal the gap because the box itself is not sealed, and doesn't need to be sealed. This helps promote airflow by not having stagnant sections of air, and also allows for a release of water should that ever get in. You'll notice that the stock airbox is not sealed either. However as far as performance goes, I don't think sealing it makes a difference at all, as the amount of cold air coming in form the snorkel is so substantially greater than the amount of air that would be slipping through the cracks, and since air will follow the path of least resistance this will always hold true.

So you can seal it up if you'd like, but I think any potential for gains aren't really there, especially because it is already making very healthy gains as it is.

Hey Mike, the pipe is 3in, and you'll find ALL kinds of info about it and gains right here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78902

Chase
Engineering
How bad is it to run the intake without the top cover for the airbox?? Thinking about leaving it off for purely sonic reasons.
re-animator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #61
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by re-animator View Post
How bad is it to run the intake without the top cover for the airbox?? Thinking about leaving it off for purely sonic reasons.
It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's definitely not going to help you performance-wise. The effect isn't necessarily the same, but when we were dyno testing our intake we did a few runs without the snorkel and it dramatically cut power. Now that's a different situation and different kind of testing because it was performed stationary on a dyno, but the proof is there about how the snorkel, intake, and airbox work together to produce power.

So if it sounds better to you, and that's what makes you the most happy I say go for it. It's not going to be the end of your engine or anything. But for anyone after making solid performance improvements: It's best to leave the lid on.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
re-animator (09-08-2017)