follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2021, 10:05 PM   #71
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
The FA20 is the one and only let down to an otherwise amazing chassis and i am not just comparing it to Honda's K/B/F series engine. I regularly drive my wife's IS350 and despite a lower redline, the engine feels much smoother when i hone it around town. The FA20 will rev out but it doesn't feel/sound happy while doing it. Still, i bought one because i just love the overall chassis dynamics. The k swap is a very interesting proposition, combining one of the best engines with one of the best chassis on the market.

To be fair, the IS350 has a ton more refinement built into it. But you make a really good point. Toyota CAN build silky smooth engines that rev high. Why they didn’t choose to put a more refined engine in the 86 I will never understand. When it was revealed the MKV Supra was going to have a BMW I6, I knew there would never be a chance of a Toyota engine in the 2nd gen 86.
So the twins for me are in many ways the perfect car from my two favorite car companies. Subaru was not enthusiastic about the project at first, but I think that changed over time. Toyota should have listened to them about the engine though. And in a strange way it actually helped Subaru test and design their next generation of engines, and they can finally move away from the EJ. I owned an early 2002 WRX and that is my all time favorite car I’ve owned. Boxers just have all sorts of character and strangeness, I think that’s why I’m drawn to them. Honda engines in comparison are almost too good?! It’s hard to explain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 10:16 PM   #72
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
Buddy he's using an oem oil pan and un modified oem cross member. Haha Yah it would sit higher. Why not assume actually trying to fit the engine in the car along with all the other assumptions? If the car or swap was designed around the engine fitting it would have a crossmember clearanced for it or at least a bespoke oil pan. Have a peak at a current gen miata engine bay to see if your firewall argument holds up...
Yeah, I don't know. The 2AZ is inline and the K24 is at a slight slant, so that could help, but I still don't think it would be enough for the same hood height. From what I read, he used a bellhousing adapter plate, so that is likely less than an inch, and he mounted it to the stock transmission, so unless he mounted the engine high and the transmission is pointing down, the engine fit fine without the need for a custom oil pan. In fact, maybe he would have needed to make custom transmission mounts if he was going to drop the engine lower. In the Kpower blog they mentioned not just moving the transmission back, but also down.

I don't know about the firewall. It wasn't a for-certain thing. I would have to imagine that it isn't just about the firewall, but the distance from the nose or start of the crumple zone to the engine and the distance from the engine to the firewall or the driver. As far as the Miata, it is hard to tell. The Miata has a strut bar over the back of the engine, so it looks closer than it may be, and the head and valve cover kind of protrudes beyond the bulk of the longblock, as seen below, compared to the K24, which has a fairly flat backside once some coolant lines are maneuvered, so again, it may look further back than it actual is.

I guess one thing to compare if the Edelbrock kit and the K24 positioned in these pics, and the thing to note is the Edelbrock supercharger requires the removal of the hood heat shield for clearance.

Look, coming from a Supra world, I would love an engine bay that looks like this. Sign me up:

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=57004

JesseG (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 10:56 PM   #73
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Yeah, I don't know. The 2AZ is inline and the K24 is at a slight slant, so that could help, but I still don't think it would be enough for the same hood height. From what I read, he used a bellhousing adapter plate, so that is likely less than an inch, and he mounted it to the stock transmission, so unless he mounted the engine high and the transmission is pointing down, the engine fit fine without the need for a custom oil pan. In fact, maybe he would have needed to make custom transmission mounts if he was going to drop the engine lower. In the Kpower blog they mentioned not just moving the transmission back, but also down.

No, he said it sits up high because he only had an OEM FWD oil pan to work with. He explained that a custom oil pan would let it sit much lower. I messaged him about the swap because it was super cheap <$3000 but it doesn't really fit. Fit means it sits in an engine bay and the hood closes...

I don't know about the firewall. It wasn't a for-certain thing. I would have to imagine that it isn't just about the firewall, but the distance from the nose or start of the crumple zone to the engine and the distance from the engine to the firewall or the driver. As far as the Miata, it is hard to tell. The Miata has a strut bar over the back of the engine, so it looks closer than it may be, and the head and valve cover kind of protrudes beyond the bulk of the longblock, as seen below, compared to the K24, which has a fairly flat backside once some coolant lines are maneuvered, so again, it may look further back than it actual is.

I guess one thing to compare if the Edelbrock kit and the K24 positioned in these pics, and the thing to note is the Edelbrock supercharger requires the removal of the hood heat shield for clearance.

Look, coming from a Supra world, I would love an engine bay that looks like this. Sign me up:

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=57004

I've talked to the owner of the 2ar swap. He said it sits up high because he only had an OEM FWD oil pan to work with. He explained that a custom oil pan would let it sit much lower. I messaged him about the swap because it was super cheap <$3000 but it doesn't really fit. Fit meaning it sits in an engine bay and the hood closes...But as you see it can fit just fine in an OEM like location like every other I4 you have seen.

PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
JesseG (01-28-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 12:31 AM   #74
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
I've talked to the owner of the 2ar swap. He said it sits up high because he only had an OEM FWD oil pan to work with. He explained that a custom oil pan would let it sit much lower. I messaged him about the swap because it was super cheap <$3000 but it doesn't really fit. Fit meaning it sits in an engine bay and the hood closes...But as you see it can fit just fine in an OEM like location like every other I4 you have seen.
It was a 2AZ I believe. I know it can fit further back and lower with relocating the transmission back and other modifications to the oil pan and cross member. Just saying. It’s tall for the hood.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:02 PM   #75
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I live in the northern midwest and I have lost count of how many heads or full engines needed to be replaced in basic foresters. It is a joke to say the least.

Local dealership is probably doing 4 engines a week. Even after a head job one seemed like it still had a misfire but was not showing it. I am sorry but that is what has kept me from this chassis the longest.

The new motor should be good, but I wont chance it since I like the looks of the 1st gen better and I am all honda baby!

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:21 PM   #76
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I live in the northern midwest and I have lost count of how many heads or full engines needed to be replaced in basic foresters. It is a joke to say the least.

Local dealership is probably doing 4 engines a week. Even after a head job one seemed like it still had a misfire but was not showing it. I am sorry but that is what has kept me from this chassis the longest.

The new motor should be good, but I wont chance it since I like the looks of the 1st gen better and I am all honda baby!
What head issue are they having?
Old 02-02-2021, 07:53 PM   #77
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It is common for them to drop valve seats, guides, but leaky headgaskets is number one issue.

On the newer motors they still are having oil control issues. Replaced numerous engines because of this, but on the older engines the headgaskets could have caused and overheating situation and BAM now you WILL have oil control issues.

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:30 PM   #78
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I think people are misinterpreting who this swap might be for. To me, this swap fills a unique niche for people that A. Blew up their FA20 and don't want to spend $3,000+ on the same engine and B. People that run in classes that aren't affected by engine swaps. For instance, in Gridlife Streetmod RWD you will literally be in the same class with the standard FA20 or the K24 making 30+ more WHP and weighing 140 lbs less. In that scenario, this swap begins to make a lot of sense. Not to mention the amount of Haltech and K series tuners are basically infinite in the US.
NoHaveMSG (02-03-2021), venenon (02-03-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 10:42 PM   #79
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
I think people are misinterpreting who this swap might be for. To me, this swap fills a unique niche for people that A. Blew up their FA20 and don't want to spend $3,000+ on the same engine and B. People that run in classes that aren't affected by engine swaps. For instance, in Gridlife Streetmod RWD you will literally be in the same class with the standard FA20 or the K24 making 30+ more WHP and weighing 140 lbs less. In that scenario, this swap begins to make a lot of sense. Not to mention the amount of Haltech and K series tuners are basically infinite in the US.

There is also option C. for crazy people like me who are interested in engine swaps that aren't LS or 2JZ based. I would wager the vast majority of engine swaps never even make it to the track. I'm interested because I think it would be a fun interesting project and a satisfying learning experience. Also $3000 for another FA20 is probably only a 1/3 of what this swap will cost all said and done with much less effort. lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
ninjan00dles (02-04-2021), NoHaveMSG (02-03-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 11:59 PM   #80
Drifter X

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
There is also option C. for crazy people like me who are interested in engine swaps that aren't LS or 2JZ based. I would wager the vast majority of engine swaps never even make it to the track. I'm interested because I think it would be a fun interesting project and a satisfying learning experience. Also $3000 for another FA20 is probably only a 1/3 of what this swap will cost all said and done with much less effort. lol

Beat me to C. LOL. I miss my SR20DET and these K motors gave my s14 a hard time on the 1/4 mile. So yeah I’d like to do this swap just because.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifter X is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drifter X For This Useful Post:
PulsarBeeerz (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #81
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Been waiting for this kit for a few months now. I have been very fortunate with the FA20 but I am very excited to sell it and swap in a cheaper, easier to maintain engine with more potential. Now, to boost or not to boost?
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #82
Limitless_BRZ

Drives: Crystal White BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I will be getting this for the FRS shell in my garage. Looks promising
Limitless_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Limitless_BRZ For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (02-12-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 12:51 PM   #83
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Probably more.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #84
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Probably more.
Ok?