follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-13-2015, 02:04 AM   #1
justin6280

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Questionable dealership service

Hey, I just wanted to see if anyone else has ever been in my situation and was unsure of what to search.

During October, I hit the 7500 mile mark and was ready for my first service of oil change/tire rotations, etc. I went to a local dealership and they performed all these for me.

Today, I noticed my car was leaking oil. I never actually paid attention or checked on my oil due to my ignorance of trusting the service done to my car. The oil is pretty low and will need to be refilled. I believe they did not properly tighten the oil pan plug.

I'll be calling/bringing in my car Monday, and was hoping to know in advance what to expect. Do you think they will service my car for free due to their negligence or would they put the oil leak against myself claiming it as my fault for not properly checking my vehicle regularly?
justin6280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:14 AM   #2
Hotrodheart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin6280 View Post
Hey, I just wanted to see if anyone else has ever been in my situation and was unsure of what to search.

During October, I hit the 7500 mile mark and was ready for my first service of oil change/tire rotations, etc. I went to a local dealership and they performed all these for me.

Today, I noticed my car was leaking oil. I never actually paid attention or checked on my oil due to my ignorance of trusting the service done to my car. The oil is pretty low and will need to be refilled. I believe they did not properly tighten the oil pan plug.

I'll be calling/bringing in my car Monday, and was hoping to know in advance what to expect. Do you think they will service my car for free due to their negligence or would they put the oil leak against myself claiming it as my fault for not properly checking my vehicle regularly?
Go to see the Service Manager, calmly state your complaint, and open fire.

Hotrodheart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hotrodheart For This Useful Post:
justin6280 (12-13-2015), Teseo (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 02:15 AM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
It is anybody's guess as to what they will do.
Just make sure you approach them in a calm and professional manner and the odds will be more in favour of them treating you well.
86geek (12-13-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (12-13-2015), justin6280 (12-13-2015), KalbiCool88 (12-15-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 02:16 AM   #4
Hotrodheart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It is anybody's guess as to what they will do.
Just make sure you approach them in a calm and professional manner and the odds will be more in favour of them treating you well.
... and then open fire.

Hotrodheart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hotrodheart For This Useful Post:
86kahl (12-13-2015), Apoc (12-13-2015), Eighty 6 (12-13-2015), KalbiCool88 (12-15-2015), Tcoat (12-13-2015), Teseo (12-13-2015), Ultramaroon (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 02:57 AM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,853 Times in 16,436 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
hmmmm......first off, @justin6280 , if then car is more than a quart low, I'd suggest you put some oil in it before you drive it anywhere.

Can you tell where the oil is leaking from ..... around the oil filter .. ?? Around the crankcase drain plug .. ?? Other place(s) .. ?? It would be good to know this before you took in in.

How much is it leaking ... enough to puddle up on the floor/driveway .. ??

Has stuff ever happened to me like that. Oh, heck yes. I've left the dealership with leaking oil filters ..... filters that weren't changed .... spark plugs that weren't changed .... car washed with recycled water and comet cleanser (I suspected) ...... tires that weren't rotated ...... and that's all I want to remember .......

What do I do now? Before taking the car in for service, I mark the tires and mark the oil filter. I put a BIG note on the dash DO NOT WASH THIS CAR! After the service, before I leave the establishment, I check to make sure the tires were rotated, the oil filter was changed, the proper amount of new oil was in the crankcase and their isn't any oil dripping from the drain plug.

In your case, I suggest you follow the recommendations of @Tcoat ..... not so much @Hotrodheart. Which reminds me, I always take my loaded .45 ACP out of the glovebox before I drop off the car .......... the FIRST time .....

I believe most dealerships want to please ...... but, many of them have some lazy, unfocused, ill trained, irresponsible employees ......

I suspect they will make it right for you and your car ......

humfrz

Last edited by humfrz; 12-13-2015 at 03:10 AM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
justin6280 (12-13-2015), KR-S (12-13-2015), soulreapersteve (12-13-2015), Tcoat (12-13-2015), Teseo (12-13-2015), Ultramaroon (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 05:11 AM   #6
Eighty 6

Drives: Gt86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin6280 View Post

Totaled
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 816
Size:  56.9 KB
Eighty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:28 AM   #7
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
hmmmm......first off, @justin6280 , if then car is more than a quart low, I'd suggest you put some oil in it before you drive it anywhere.

Can you tell where the oil is leaking from ..... around the oil filter .. ?? Around the crankcase drain plug .. ?? Other place(s) .. ?? It would be good to know this before you took in in.

How much is it leaking ... enough to puddle up on the floor/driveway .. ??

Has stuff ever happened to me like that. Oh, heck yes. I've left the dealership with leaking oil filters ..... filters that weren't changed .... spark plugs that weren't changed .... car washed with recycled water and comet cleanser (I suspected) ...... tires that weren't rotated ...... and that's all I want to remember .......

What do I do now? Before taking the car in for service, I mark the tires and mark the oil filter. I put a BIG note on the dash DO NOT WASH THIS CAR! After the service, before I leave the establishment, I check to make sure the tires were rotated, the oil filter was changed, the proper amount of new oil was in the crankcase and their isn't any oil dripping from the drain plug.

In your case, I suggest you follow the recommendations of @Tcoat ..... not so much @Hotrodheart. Which reminds me, I always take my loaded .45 ACP out of the glovebox before I drop off the car .......... the FIRST time .....

I believe most dealerships want to please ...... but, many of them have some lazy, unfocused, ill trained, irresponsible employees ......

I suspect they will make it right for you and your car ......

humfrz

I'll be following this advice soon, due for next service in less than 200 miles. Especially the car washing thing.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #8
Eighty 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
I'll be following this advice soon, due for next service in less than 200 miles. Especially the car washing thing.
I'll bet anything its a wrongly inserted washer, probably with the wrong tools, important thing is that they didnt damage the groove( where it fits if thats the correct word ) or else things get a bit complicated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eighty 6 For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #9
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I asked the mannager to let me pass to the garage, now i know what exactly they are doing
I cant sleep well without knowing what type of oil they are using on my engine, transmission.
But yes sometimes sometimes they make me want to kill them with fire cuz they are slugish
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #10
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
The first (and last) time I had my oil changed at the dealer didn't go well either.
After waiting a couple hours I went to investigate what was going on. They had my car on a lift and were taking it apart. The service manager was there and I asked him what was going on. He said they double gasketed the oil filter and the oil sprayed out all over the engine. They had to take the skid plate off and clean the entire engine compartment. It took hours. This is by far the easiest car I've ever had to change the oil on and they couldn't do that right. From now on I do all the work on my car myself.
And yeah never let them wash your car.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #11
Eighty 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
I asked the mannager to let me pass to the garage, now i know what exactly they are doing
I cant sleep well without knowing what type of oil they are using on my engine, transmission.
But yes sometimes sometimes they make me want to kill them with fire cuz they are slugish
Chill brother. Even if there is an oil leak you have a warning light. It's nothing major, are they official Toyota mechanics or can you just change them easily. If they're Toyta then send an email to their headquarters with some photos as proof and bills etc. That's how you screw them properly. I assume you had no oil leak when you took it in and then it started leaking after the oil change.
Teseo (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #12
TheVoiceOfReason

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty 6 View Post
Chill brother. Even if there is an oil leak you have a warning light. It's nothing major, are they official Toyota mechanics or can you just change them easily. If they're Toyta then send an email to their headquarters with some photos as proof and bills etc. That's how you screw them properly. I assume you had no oil leak when you took it in and then it started leaking after the oil change.
Do not use the oil light as an indicator for low oil. At that point it is probably too late. Always check the dipstick.
TheVoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheVoiceOfReason For This Useful Post:
86kahl (12-13-2015), Cole (12-13-2015), FRSBRZGT86FAN (12-13-2015), fumanchu1 (12-15-2015), Teseo (12-13-2015), Ultramaroon (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #13
Eighty 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason View Post
Do not use the oil light as an indicator for low oil. At that point it is probably too late. Always check the dipstick.
Sure the dipstick, but worst case scenario is the low oil light comes on and then you need to switch off the engine immediately. If you don't use a dipstick right though you can get a totally wrong reading. I can't even remember how that works. Switch off engine, wait 5 mins, check after wiping dip clean. Can't recall.
TheVoiceOfReason (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #14
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighty 6 View Post
Chill brother. Even if there is an oil leak you have a warning light. It's nothing major, are they official Toyota mechanics or can you just change them easily. If they're Toyota then send an email to their headquarters with some photos as proof and bills etc. That's how you screw them properly. I assume you had no oil leak when you took it in and then it started leaking after the oil change.
That's not how it works, the "oh the car will warn you mentality" doesn't work on any car long run. And you don't start by sending an email to headquarters, that's one too many hoops to go up to wait for them to contact the dealer, speak directly to the service department manager, if nothing comes of it then you move to the top.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 12-13-2015 at 11:45 AM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
86geek (12-13-2015), 86kahl (12-13-2015), TheVoiceOfReason (12-13-2015)