follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #127
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
I usually never force a downshift into first in the auto using the paddles. Doesnt feel right, downshifting into first I let the computer do its thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
doesn't feel right? nothing felt "wrong" when I was doing it with the auto, engine braking to each stop light was awesome.. still do it with the stick but definitely not to 1st
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
VoltsFRS2013 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #128
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
doesn't feel right? nothing felt "wrong" when I was doing it with the auto, engine braking to each stop light was awesome.. still do it with the stick but definitely not to 1st
It honestly just falls into me being paranoid and this also being my first car. I guess I'm just not used to the feeling of gears downshifting so I get like extremely paranoid I'm going to fuck something up or downshift too quickly if that makes any sense.
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #129
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
So you spent hundreds of dollars on an OFT for no reason at all? You weren't hoping to gain more torque/power from it whatsoever?
No, I was not hoping. I knew from reading about it that I would gain HP and torque. Just because. Is that not "driver involvement"?

Anyway, curvy-road drive complete. It was great fun. Some of you should try it.

This argument is dildos. I should go for another drive.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-27-2017), VoltsFRS2013 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #130
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'm not your friend, buddy.

My commute is a 2-way road through windy hills. Because most people don't know how to drive, they tend to drive slower than the speed limit. This requires me to pass them whenever there are legal spots to do so. Sometimes the chain is so long that I have to pass several cars at once. I would love a little extra power (or a little less weight) so I could pass them with a little more ease.

My car is stock and I've owned it for almost 4 years. Obviously it gets the job done, but what is wrong with dreaming about a little more power in the future?

I'm sure the AT is fun, but what I like most about MT is that I get to use all 4 limbs of my body at once to be in sync with the car. With the AT my left foot is eliminated from the equation. (No, I don't want to brake with my left foot).

Also in regards to the tune, some people don't want to modify their brand new car.

So just because I would love this car even more than I already do if it had a little extra torque suddenly means that I can't drive? How many times have you been on a track buddy?

More torque isn't necessary to have fun in this car, I don't think anyone ever claimed that. But would it make an already stellar platform that much more enjoyable at times? Yeah, probably.
Quote:
Not everyone lives in a congested city. For example, my daily commute to work is a 30 minute drive in the hills. This is a big world my friend. You sound like you about 19-20 years old, so in a couple years you will probably come to realize that.
U sure bout that?

"Buddy", this whole time I have been talking about the lack of torque in traffic that you so claim, and now you're trying to derail and bring track into this conversation as if you are some race god?

First you assume my age because of my way of communicating, and now you assume I have never been to a track and must compensate as the race god you are? Girl you something else.

Oh and I'm sure we would all love some extra power/torque to go down some windy roads and carve some corners now, but that isn't what we were talking about were we?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #131
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
No, I was not hoping. I knew from reading about it that I would gain HP and torque. Just because. Is that not "driver involvement"?

Anyway, curvy-road drive complete. It was great fun. Some of you should try it.

This argument is dildos. I should go for another drive.
I really like dildos, they are good dog toys.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #132
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
It's really not. Please explain why torque is needed for traffic. Don't dodge it by implying sport cars in traffic are relative to a high torque requirement in traffic. These are not one in the same.
Congrats. You completely missed the point.

The point: Neither torque nor fun RWD sports cars are needed for the daily commuting grind. That doesn't stop people from wanting those things though.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-27-2017), funwheeldrive (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #133
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

So you tell other people to just downshift when they want more torque, when you yourself went out and bought something to add more torque to your car? Seems kinda wack.

Quote:
The gearbox is there for a reason. Use it to address your complaints. Easy.

Obviously you liked the idea of having more power than what the stock version had to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
U sure bout that?

"Buddy", this whole time I have been talking about the lack of torque in traffic that you so claim, and now you're trying to derail and bring track into this conversation as if you are some race god?

First you assume my age because of my way of communicating, and now you assume I have never been to a track and must compensate as the race god you are? Girl you something else.

Oh and I'm sure we would all love some extra power/torque to go down some windy roads and carve some corners now, but that isn't what we were talking about were we?

You were supposed to say, "I'm not your buddy, guy". Nevermind about that though.

I'm not claiming to be a race god at all, but I think it's funny that you implied that just because someone likes the idea of more torque means that they don't know how to drive. I was just curious as to how much driving on a closed course you have done yourself?

We were talking about daily driving. Daily driving can include windy roads, hills, and other fun situations. It just depends on where you live right?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #134
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Can I get public assistance?
Of course, they have a nice place up here for you to stay ........

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #135
humfrz

Quote:
It honestly just falls into me being paranoid and this also being my first car. I guess I'm just not used to the feeling of gears downshifting so I get like extremely paranoid I'm going to fuck something up or downshift too quickly if that makes any sense.
Oh, VoltsFRS2013, in time, after you get to know a particular engine and drivetrain, knowing when and how far to downshift will come naturally.

Meanwhile, the important thing to worry about is over revving the engine on the way down.

The rev limiter will save you on the way up ....... but NOT on the way down.

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #136
VoltsFRS2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Oh, VoltsFRS2013, in time, after you get to know a particular engine and drivetrain, knowing when and how far to downshift will come naturally.

Meanwhile, the important thing to worry about is over revving the engine on the way down.

The rev limiter will save you on the way up ....... but NOT on the way down.

humfrz

Oh for sure, I have yet to overrev the engine on the way down. I guess it's just the like pulling sensation the car gives as you work your way down the gears (not sure if those were even the right words) that makes me a bit uneasy. If I were to drive a true manual I'd probably overcome that. Like logically you get that sensation because you're switching into a lower gear, I'm just so paranoid of causing an issue in my tranny that I just try not to risk it.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #137
humfrz

Quote:
Oh for sure, I have yet to overrev the engine on the way down. I guess it's just the like pulling sensation the car gives as you work your way down the gears (not sure if those were even the right words) that makes me a bit uneasy. If I were to drive a true manual I'd probably overcome that. Like logically you get that sensation because you're switching into a lower gear, I'm just so paranoid of causing an issue in my tranny that I just try not to risk it.
Oh, my bad for not payen attention ....... I thought your car was a MT.

My comments were referring to a MT car.

My FR-S has a MT, but mrs humfrz's car is a 6 speed AT, with paddle shifters. A few times I tried to outsmart the transmission ...... I'm not smart enough nor fast enough.

So, when I drive her car, I simply put it into "D" and push on the gas to go faster and push on the brake to go slower and to stop.

See, pretty simple for me .......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #138
VoltsFRS2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Oh, my bad for not payen attention ....... I thought your car was a MT.

My comments were referring to a MT car.

My FR-S has a MT, but mrs humfrz's car is a 6 speed AT, with paddle shifters. A few times I tried to outsmart the transmission ...... I'm not smart enough nor fast enough.

So, when I drive her car, I simply put it into "D" and push on the gas to go faster and push on the brake to go slower and stop.

See, pretty simple for me .......

humfrz
haha yes, the AT is a little wonky feeling sometimes. I've never driven in or driven the MT version of our car though so I dont really know. I try to just keep my shifting habits respectable since the car is programmed to do its own thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 08:54 PM   #139
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
lol ya I wouldn't worry about anything especially after the car warms up..the computer is still managing everything with the trans when you're "forcing" a downshift. ah, the memories of hearing the twin's beep over and over telling me revvs are too high to downshift are engraved in my head
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #140
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
So you tell other people to just downshift when they want more torque, when you yourself went out and bought something to add more torque to your car? Seems kinda wack.

Obviously you liked the idea of having more power than what the stock version had to offer.

You were supposed to say, "I'm not your buddy, guy". Nevermind about that though.

I'm not claiming to be a race god at all, but I think it's funny that you implied that just because someone likes the idea of more torque means that they don't know how to drive. I was just curious as to how much driving on a closed course you have done yourself?

We were talking about daily driving. Daily driving can include windy roads, hills, and other fun situations. It just depends on where you live right?
But you just assumed I have never been to a track, and implied that you have been to a track, therefore making you a better driver than myself. Aka, a race god. I don't see the relevance of track experience when the conversation was about traffic and torque and the fact that you claim you need torque just to daily drive.

I am strictly talking about real world driving, but you don't seem to get that at all and keep trying to make an ass out of u and me for some big **** contest you are having with yourself kek

I'm ded