follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 11-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Official MMA Thread

Thought I'd start a MMA thread since a lot of noobs are finally catching on and the sport has blown up in popularity recently.

Anyone watch the the free Strikeforce show on CBS last night?

I thought it was a pretty good show overall, and probably better than the last few $50 ppv UFC shows. Ufc has really started to water down their cards trying to get 2 ppv per month in. You get maybe one or two good fights per show now and it cost more than ever. I find myself enjoying the free WEC events more than UFC half the time and that's sad. Gone are the days of $20 Pride grand prix shows where almost every fight was a main event type fight.

Really enjoyed seeing two huge heavyweights like werdum and big foot silva putting on a ground show like they were lightweights.

I thought mayhem miller had choked out shields and I was like WTF no way, but shields got saved by the bell and went on to put on a ground transition clinic to pull out the decision. It will be interesting to see if Shields can do the same thing to Cung Le when he comes back. Shields has no stand up and no one has truly tested Cung's "ground" game.

And what can I say Fedor is Fedor. The man is unreal. I will never get tired of watching his fights.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
subyota

Drives: Stage IV '03 WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
the whole lay'n'pray by shields bores the crap out of the show last night. i know it's part of mma but this guy has ZERO stand up. it'll be interesting how cung le will approach the fight against him, the only way i can see cung winning is by sticking and moving, don't even bother taking it to the ground and i hope his takedown defense is good or else he'll be hugged to death. on a sidenote, miller's entrances are entertaining!

if the rumors are right and dan henderson has signed with strikeforce then i see a hendo vs. mousasi fight coming up soon.

i like how strikeforce is trying to compete with ufc now but the atmosphere isn't quite like the ufc yet and they need to make some serious changes to the show overall like:
1) get rid of gus johnson
2) fix the camera angles
3) get rid of generic entrance music
4) increase depth of fighter roster

other than that you really can't complain considering its FREE lol

...and fedor is god!
subyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
fedor owns no doubt. i too miss pride..
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
DanZilla

Drives: 05 New Formula Red Honda S2000
Send a message via AIM to DanZilla
whats mma?
DanZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZilla View Post
whats mma?

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyota View Post
the whole lay'n'pray by shields bores the crap out of the show last night. i know it's part of mma but this guy has ZERO stand up. it'll be interesting how cung le will approach the fight against him, the only way i can see cung winning is by sticking and moving, don't even bother taking it to the ground and i hope his takedown defense is good or else he'll be hugged to death. on a sidenote, miller's entrances are entertaining!

if the rumors are right and dan henderson has signed with strikeforce then i see a hendo vs. mousasi fight coming up soon.

i like how strikeforce is trying to compete with ufc now but the atmosphere isn't quite like the ufc yet and they need to make some serious changes to the show overall like:
1) get rid of gus johnson
2) fix the camera angles
3) get rid of generic entrance music
4) increase depth of fighter roster

other than that you really can't complain considering its FREE lol

...and fedor is god!
hendo vs gegard would be awesome

Miller is crazy but I think a lot of people underestimate his jiu-jitsu. It seems to me that shields cardio was affected by him bulking up to move up in weight class. Miller was able to counter shields sub attempts and transitions which clearly sapped all of shields energy.

I'll admit it, I'm a cung le hater. I've seen tons of his san shou fights and I just don't like him. If he wants to win against Shields he will have to pull a machida stick and move game plan because if it goes to the ground he'll get subbed.

Gus Johnson is garbage they need to bring in Bas rutten to do commentary with mauro.

Now that Strikeforce has signed deals with Dream and M1 Global you're going to start seeing a lot of the better international guys, Hansen, aoki, etc, fighting on shows in the states. Talent sharing between the other major orgs, other than UFC, is awesome I'm tired of the Zuffa monopoly.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Judging in the UFC has become very suspect lately. First Shogun gets robbed of a victory over machida in a fight that everyone agrees Shogun clearly dominated and then another controversial call last night with coture at UFC 105.

I don't know how someone wins a fight by just holding an opponent against the fence the entire fight. Besides one or two decent flurries at the start of the third round couture did absolutely nothing in that fight. Vera scored all of the major damage and it could be argued that round two might have even been a 10-8 round as Couture was badly hurt, turned his back and fell to the ground, Vera jumped on him with the fight almost being stopped. Round three, in my book, was an even round as Couture had the early flurries and then Vera hurt him again with the liver kicks plus vera got the takedown and the mount.

The fight should have been scored a draw. Round 1 Couture, Round 2 Vera, Round 3 even. Coture did nothing to really win the fight. Octagon control is BS and shouldn't even be part of the scoring criteria.

They need to bring in judges that actually know about MMA instead of these boxing transplants. And speaking of Boxing, UFC is starting to become just as shady when there is a close fight the judges magically score it for the favorite. I call shenanigans by Zuffa.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
subyota

Drives: Stage IV '03 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
Judging in the UFC has become very suspect lately. First Shogun gets robbed of a victory over machida in a fight that everyone agrees Shogun clearly dominated and then another controversial call last night with coture at UFC 105.

I don't know how someone wins a fight by just holding an opponent against the fence the entire fight. Besides one or two decent flurries at the start of the third round couture did absolutely nothing in that fight. Vera scored all of the major damage and it could be argued that round two might have even been a 10-8 round as Couture was badly hurt, turned his back and fell to the ground, Vera jumped on him with the fight almost being stopped. Round three, in my book, was an even round as Couture had the early flurries and then Vera hurt him again with the liver kicks plus vera got the takedown and the mount.

The fight should have been scored a draw. Round 1 Couture, Round 2 Vera, Round 3 even. Coture did nothing to really win the fight. Octagon control is BS and shouldn't even be part of the scoring criteria.

They need to bring in judges that actually know about MMA instead of these boxing transplants. And speaking of Boxing, UFC is starting to become just as shady when there is a close fight the judges magically score it for the favorite. I call shenanigans by Zuffa.

i know what u mean, the judging needs to be overhauled but i also think they should do something like pride and implement penalty cards for fighters who just stall. at least this would get rid of the lay 'n pray and now wall 'n stall fighters.

if randy couture wins one more fight, dana will give him an instant title shot guaranteed!
subyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:20 AM   #9
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
I don't know how someone wins a fight by just holding an opponent against the fence the entire fight.
this is why ring is better than cage. i'd much rather watch pride, dream, and k1 mma fights than ufc any day.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyota View Post

i know what u mean, the judging needs to be overhauled but i also think they should do something like pride and implement penalty cards for fighters who just stall. at least this would get rid of the lay 'n pray and now wall 'n stall fighters.

if randy couture wins one more fight, dana will give him an instant title shot guaranteed!
Oh you know Dana White and Zuffa are all ready to ramp up the hype machine for a Randy vs Machida fight. I mean really they kind of have to because the heavyweight division is garbage right now with brock (whom I hate but that's another rant) still laid up in a canadian hospital with mono and noguera down with staph again. Anderson Silva has the middleweight division on lockdown and no one is going to beat GSP or BJ for their belts any time soon. So the Light Heavies are the only competitive weight class right now. It's just a matter of time before Randy "the cash cow" gets a title shot.

If that fight had been fought in a pride ring under their rules both fighters would have been given yellow cards for stalling and lost 10% of their pay. The ref would have seperated them more often, yelled action, and then taken a point from randy for continuing to refuse to fight. Pride rules also placed more emphasis on total damage done during the fight and attempts to finish the opponent so Vera would have definately won under pride rules.

The thing that kills me is that Machida supposedly "won" in part due to his "octagon control" which consisted of blocking takedowns and running around. Yet Vera blocked every single takedown from Randy except one and Vera got no points for that. How is it octagon control if your whole plan is to push a guy against the fence and then take him down but your opponent completely nullifies that the whole fight? I just wish the judges would be consistent with their bullshit.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #11
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
this is why ring is better than cage. i'd much rather watch pride, dream, and k1 mma fights than ufc any day.
I like the ring and the restarts in the middle too. It allows the ground fighters the opportunity to work their game. In the cage, guys just push you up against the fence and you lose half your submission game because you can't move your hips. Cage favors wrestlers who like to get the takedown, push the guy to the fence, ground n pound, rinse, repeat. At least in the ring, with the restarts in the middle, the sub fighter and GnP guy are on an even footing with both being able to utilize their full arsenals.

I don't have HDnet so I can't watch the Dream tournaments until they get put on the internet which sucks because I loved the japanese shows
Old 12-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #12
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Just watched the BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez fight and have to say that I don't think anyone can compete with BJ at 155lbs. He made Diego look like an amateur. It was total domination by penn in the stand-up and diego couldn't get any takedowns. Plus that was one of the worst cuts I've seen in a long time. BJ has crushed all of the legitimate challengers at 155 and unless UFC brings in Aoki from Japan I'm afraid we're going to have to watch BJ move up a weight class to find good competition. I think Bj could compete at 170lbs but he wouldn't be able to beat the elite guys like GSP so it may not be worth it to him.